PDA

View Full Version : Lessons in Novel-Writing Guide free sample

pandahoneybee
08-24-2010, 09:45 AM
Hi All~
I just wanted to share with you the free sample of Ed Ditto's new novel Gunrunner Moon and companion book for Lessons in Novel Writing Guide. He was gracious enough to let me put them up on my site for Homeschool Literature. I also have a new forum post link below where Ed has agreed to check in weekly to see if he can help answer questions from parents or students. I think this is a great opportunity to see what you think before you buy them:o
I actually bought both books and started reading them over the past weekend. I read all the way up to Chapter 5 in both books and I really think it is going to be a great High School course for Alex next year. I could have read more but ya know these people called my family kept asking me for things. Like I want to see you and can you tuck me in? I mean really! LOL
http://www.homeschoolliterature.com/books-by-grade/grades-9-12/gunrunner-moon-by-ed-ditto

http://www.homeschoolliterature.com/groups/introductions-and-welcomes/forum/topic/gunrunner-moon-discussions/

Well I just wanted to pass this along!
Happy Homeschooling:D

BPier12
08-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the link, Michelle. It looks interesting and I will definitely bookmark it for further study!

pandahoneybee
08-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Hi Beth! I am thinking of 9th grade for Alex! He would like the story but we need another year to practice on the writing. And I believe it works out to 1/2 credit for HS English! that excites me, 1/2 credit down and a bazillion to go! Of course we are still doing the time4writing so maybe that could go as a credit or 1/2 too? oh well I guess since the boys are done with their music practice I should get them to work!

mommykicksbutt
08-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Do the students end up with a completed novel that they've written by the end of the course? If so then this could be the creative writing course I've been look for! The One Year Novel teaches (also with instruction by the author on DVD) creative writing and the students end up having written their own novels by the course's end, HOWEVER, the author and therefore the course is VERY biblical. This is the element I wish to avoid but I love the idea that sonny would end up with his own novel as part of his portfolio (for college admissions proof if needed).

pandahoneybee
08-24-2010, 11:05 AM
From what I can tell from the first couple of chapters, you do indeed work on one idea throughout the novel. you are constantly building on top of what you have already done. Check out the PDFs and let me know what you think;) I haven't actaully done the lessons but I have read thru ch 1 to 5 so far and they seem like a good mix of instruction and referencing some other great works of literature. (movies and books which will work great for my visual learner)
I am excited to have bought these to use next year, I usually buy and go over everything like I would assign them to Alex or Anthony that way I can tell if they work or not for my boys. I also am pairing this up with My Dog Bites the English Teacher for help with grammar.( I have read that book as well and it is very well written as well, and easy to understand)