PDA

View Full Version : Aussie expat family home educating in Thailand

gumtree
08-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Hi All

As an aussie family who moved to Thailand 21 months ago.
I have met one other secular homeschooling family here and as of yesterday they are no longer homeschooling.
Our ds7 loves reading, and we spend ours each week picking new books. The book stores here have improved and we have an excellent range available to us and cheaper than Oz. Due to the large amount he reads I have taken an interest in searching out the bookshops and my list is growing.
Our style is eclectic, and as we have a shortage of friends that are homeshcooling for ds to play with we rely on other expat children to play with so after school time is a busy time at home.
We miss our Aussie secular friend Kathy who has also recently joined this site.
Hopefully one day we will return to Australia.

Topsy
08-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Welcome, gumtree!! It can be so discouraging to be the only-anything, and being the only secular homeschooling family in a particular area is no exception. I really hope you come across some other ones in the near future! I'm glad you found our site, though. We are certainly willing to be your "virtual" support group! Congrats on having an avid reader at your house...what a wonderful thing to be able to share with him. Please stop in and join us often! We look forward to finding out more about you and your family...

hockeymom
08-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Welcome gumtree! I hope you find this community as helpful as I have. I'm in a similar situation as a (temporary) expat in Canada--no homeschoolers to be found in my isolated little town, which is a very lonely situation to be in. I hope you check in here often, and I hope you meet other like minded folks in your real life community soon! :)

BPier12
08-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Welcome gumtree! While there are many homeschoolers where we live, most of them are not secular so I understand your frustrations and loneliness. This forum has been a lifesaver for me, offering support and friendship. I hope you find that here for yourself as well! Looking forward to "seeing" you here. :D

pandahoneybee
08-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Welcome;) We have alot of non-secular people around us too, slowly after 3+ years finding some similar minded people! Well at least you can talk to us about things, everyone up here has found the support they needed from this great bunch!

inmom
08-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Hi there, Gumtree! Where are you in Thailand? My hubby has been there a few times for business, and he loved it. He wants to take the rest of us some day, but how is the political situation there? He knows an ex-pat New Zealander who's been working there for the past 3 years in Bangkok but has a hard time reaching him. Do you feel safe there with all of the politcal protests that have been going on?

I'm also curious--do you have a nanny/help? I've heard many ex-pats do there as it is so inexpensive to hire them. We'd love to live overseas for a year or two--especially Asia/Pac--but would always want to return home at the end. What a neat experience for your family.

Sarbare0704
08-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Welcome to the group!

Shoe
08-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Welcome! I hope you'll find this site supportive and informative. I look forward to hearing about your experiences.

Cheers