PDA

View Full Version : Fish 'n' Chips

aspiecat
05-05-2014, 04:13 PM
For all British, Irish, Kiwi and Aussie members - and anyone who likes "traditional" UK fare - how do you like your fish 'n' chips? I REALLY miss having fish 'n' chip takeaways around the place, although I am sure there are places in the US that has them.

Even if you've never really had the British-style fish 'n' chip meal - which traditionally is wrapped in blank newsprint paper, often having a sheet of greaseproof paper right in the middle so the malt vinegar doesn't soak through easily, and is often just eaten right out of the opened paper package, never mind making plates dirty! - I am sure many SHS members like deep-fried battered fish with steak fries and tomato sauce (sorry, KETCHUP).

So HOW do you like your fish 'n' chips/fries?

Mum
05-06-2014, 08:49 AM
Here in the States, Fish N Chips is served in Irish Pubs as described in the first choice. I don't know of anyone who makes them at home. It's considered staple food at the Irish watering holes only.

...and now I want some.

hockeymom
05-06-2014, 09:10 AM
Shared, with a salad for justification purposes. And a pint or two of a hearty, hoppy IPA.

farrarwilliams
05-06-2014, 10:02 AM
I do make fried fish and potatoes, but southern style, so it's not called "fish and chips" though I'm certainly familiar with the concept and have had it in Ireland and UK... But mine's double breaded - first in flour, then milk, then fish fry (cornmeal with seasoning). Fried in oil. Too much oil. I usually just roast the potatoes as wedges (because good grief, that's enough frying), but French fries would have been more traditional. And hush puppies. Do you know hush puppies? Sometimes I make hush puppies too.

MrsLOLcat
05-06-2014, 10:05 AM
I make actual fish 'n' chips here. But I have an Aussie husband. He LOVES it when I make them. Every time cod goes on sale, he gets all happy.

aspiecat
05-06-2014, 11:03 AM
I do make fried fish and potatoes, but southern style, so it's not called "fish and chips" though I'm certainly familiar with the concept and have had it in Ireland and UK... But mine's double breaded - first in flour, then milk, then fish fry (cornmeal with seasoning). Fried in oil. Too much oil. I usually just roast the potatoes as wedges (because good grief, that's enough frying), but French fries would have been more traditional. And hush puppies. Do you know hush puppies? Sometimes I make hush puppies too.

My MIL makes good hush puppies...well, sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't. She is the Queen of Substitution, so if she wants to make something (ie, my FIL wants something and will have a tantrum and sulk if he doesn't get it) and doesn't have the right ingredients, she will substitute. It's crazy. The last time she made hush puppies she substituted something and they didn't work out.

aspiecat
05-06-2014, 11:07 AM
I should add that while it's traditional to do the malt vinegar thing, I only put a dash in the batter. I definitely don't use it on my fish once it's cooked *shudder*.

Jen V
05-06-2014, 12:32 PM
The best fish & chips I've ever had were at Billie's Bar & Restaurant in Key West, FL. The fish was Mahi Mahi, freshly caught and out of this world. Wish I had some right now! lol

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
05-06-2014, 01:18 PM
Y'all are giving me cravings. I've had Irish pub fish and chips stateside, but my favorite was the fried grouper and hush puppies on St. George Island in Florida. With sweet tea, of course!

Fairielover
05-07-2014, 02:00 PM
Never had it until we moved to Newfoundland. They take advantage of any excuse to serve cod. As my two year old would say, "I no like fish'n'chips. Gross." To be fair, it was a GF version.

I so agree with your little one. Fish is GROSS any way, any time, any how. I no eat fish ever.

aspiecat
05-07-2014, 04:05 PM
No fish whatsoever, FL?!?

justabout
05-07-2014, 05:27 PM
Fish and chips - I've actually come to prefer the NZ version (I know sacrilege). They cook the fish and chips on the spot for you, so you always have to wait 10 minutes, but the results are SOOO much crispier and nicer. I miss the beer batter from the UK though.

dottieanna29
05-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Dh makes fish and chips at home. Usually flounder or cod (or halibut - is that the other flaky white fish?) in the Fry Daddy and fries in the oven.

I LOVE it and it's the only way my oldest will eat fish anymore but I HATE, absolutely DETEST, cleaning out that Fry Daddy. You have to wait for it to cool and once it does it just reeks.

aspiecat
05-07-2014, 07:12 PM
Fish and chips - I've actually come to prefer the NZ version (I know sacrilege). They cook the fish and chips on the spot for you, so you always have to wait 10 minutes, but the results are SOOO much crispier and nicer. I miss the beer batter from the UK though.

I miss Kiwi fish 'n' chips too. I would always call our local takeaway and place an order...by the time I got there, they were just coming out. Although I personally prefer grilled fish from the takeaway places...mmm...grilled snapper and chips. Om nom nom.

MrsLOLcat
05-08-2014, 10:31 AM
Dh makes fish and chips at home. Usually flounder or cod (or halibut - is that the other flaky white fish?) in the Fry Daddy and fries in the oven.

I LOVE it and it's the only way my oldest will eat fish anymore but I HATE, absolutely DETEST, cleaning out that Fry Daddy. You have to wait for it to cool and once it does it just reeks.

That's why I threw out my Fry Daddy and just use my cast iron. Yeah, it probably takes more oil, but not having to clean it out is worth every bit.

BASHHomeschool
05-08-2014, 04:20 PM
I make fish n chips at home occasionally. No ketchup is allowed, we all go malt vinegar even the kids

Fairielover
05-11-2014, 01:49 PM
No fish whatsoever, FL?!?

None, not never. I will not eat them.

KittyP
05-11-2014, 11:50 PM
Mmm, all of the above! I have yet to run across a (well made) fish 'n' chip I don't like, but my favorite of these is beer battered halibut with lemon and malt vinegar, but cornmeal breaded catfish is also yummy. I would gladly trade the taters for extra fish, though.

murphs_mom
05-13-2014, 11:15 PM
Not much of a fish fan myself (a Midwesterner who did catfish and fishsticks only when badgered into it), DD LOVES fish. And shrimp. And crab. It must be something in the water around here. The closest thing I've seen locally to the Brit version is at a place in DE: Photos (http://www.gofishdelaware.com/category/3.html) If you do most any of the boardwalk fry places in this area, they all serve the fries with vinegar, not ketchup. The ketchup is hidden behind the counter. They make you ask for it so they can give you the stink eye as you glop it on your fries.

crunchynerd
05-14-2014, 12:05 AM
When I want it the way I like it, I like to make it at home, but we never have it now that I have a kid allergic to fish. Sigh. But when I made it, it was hand-battered and fried in cast iron, and served with fried potatoes, and salted, and I like to positively DROWN mine in real malt vinegar, with a homebrewed dark thick stout, the kind my husband sometimes makes that tastes a bit like strong coffee made into a spirited beverage, on the side.
I have no idea where I developed this taste, but there is nothing in the world so good as malt vinegar, and it's hard to find even if you ask for it in restaurants... one time, in a restaurant years ago, they brought me plain white vinegar, and that was just terrible.

My mouth is watering for malt vinegar, now. And fish I myself didn't have to batter and fry, even if it isn't so good. Now to plan a trip, sans kids, to one of the local establishments that has good fried seafood, with a container of malt vinegar smuggled in, in my purse.

crunchynerd
05-14-2014, 12:10 AM
Oh, a technical question: one of the reasons I really lay on the malt vinegar so heavily when I have enjoyed fish and chips, is that the Heinz malt vinegar (the only brand I know of that is on supermarket shelves across the US) tastes unaccountably weak, but the problem with using enough of it to taste it, is that it makes the crisp breading soggy, and I hate that. Does anyone have a different brand they know of, that is decently strong, so that a few dashes are enough?

jsaffold
05-14-2014, 09:49 AM
I've gone the way of the herbivore these days...all vegan and veg in this house now....OHHH but before....the batter the better..

Hush puppies ??? did someone say Hush Pupppies!?!?! my favorite as a kid!!!..I can totally make those at home!...drool

pdpele
05-19-2014, 07:25 PM
Funny...my DH picked up cod from the store last week and without hearing anything from me about this thread requested Fish n chips - I make a mean beer battered fish (sorry, no malt vinegar for me) and he makes awesome fries - all kinds of ways - plain, shoestring, wedge, seasoned, fancy (truffle oil and grated parmesan). It was yummy. Fried and salty - I'd take it over sweet (our successful pie thread notwithstanding) any day.

ejsmom
05-19-2014, 11:10 PM
Carolyn, you are SO right about that restaurant in DE. I eat there every chance I get, which is as often as I can get to DE, which is also every chance I get! Their food is amazing. Their fish and chips are to die for, real chipped potatoes, done fresh every day. When spend at least a full week in DE every September in addition to short trips for weekends and such, and eat there twice in the same week because not only are the fish and chips amazing, the bangers and mash are fantastic, as well.

murphs_mom
05-19-2014, 11:56 PM
We are over that way nearly every October for the Sea Witch festival, and I know that the line coming out of the place is longggg. It's got several fans, ejsmom. :)

aspiecat
05-20-2014, 08:31 AM
Oh, a technical question: one of the reasons I really lay on the malt vinegar so heavily when I have enjoyed fish and chips, is that the Heinz malt vinegar (the only brand I know of that is on supermarket shelves across the US) tastes unaccountably weak, but the problem with using enough of it to taste it, is that it makes the crisp breading soggy, and I hate that. Does anyonehave a different brand they know of, that is decently strong, so that a few dashes are enough?

Try London Pub brand...available at Walmart, so probably available at most grocery stores. My DH will only have that brand in the house, so I am guessing it's a good one. When I used it in the beer batter I made, I only put in about a tablespoon's worth, and the slight flavour was there. I am not a vinegar fan, so rarely use it myself, but I do like that hint of the malt variety in fish batter.

Mum
05-21-2014, 08:26 AM
Now I want to create a poll that determines how many SHS regulars went out of their way to get their hands on some fish in chips after this thread.

aspiecat
05-21-2014, 09:10 AM
Now I want to create a poll that determines how many SHS regulars went out of their way to get their hands on some fish in chips after this thread.

I think you should do that! It would be really interesting!

jsaffold
05-21-2014, 09:28 AM
I think you should do that! It would be really interesting!

Not gonna lie..it has kicked up a craving!!..and I'm Vegitarian..LOL

crunchynerd
05-22-2014, 07:09 AM
I did! And it stank, because there wasn't any malt vinegar, so I tried the restaurant's tartar sauce, and that was sickly sweet and terrible. Just made me resolve to go get some of that vinegar "London Pub" that was mentioned, and order again sometime soon!