PDA

View Full Version : Hello from West Virginia

Cheetah
08-22-2010, 11:23 PM
It appears there are only two homeschooling associations in West Virginia. Neither are secular. Hooray! I found a resource for homeschooling my daughter this year. We are learning 5th grade math, english, history. But I look forward to teaching outside the text(box). Unfortunately, I feel very isolated in West Virginia not just because all my friends and family are in my home state of Florida, but also there are limited outlets for homeschoolers. It seems West Virginia is just now gaining exposure to the option to homeschool their children. I'm determined even if I am a pioneer in this state.

Topsy
08-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Welcome, Cheetah! It is great to have you here! You are definitely right about WV. It is one of the few states that I can't even find one secular support group in (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/203-Secular-Homeschool-Support-Groups-by-State). ((sigh)) I'm thinking it must be quite lonesome to be a secular homeschooler there. I hope this site, though, will make you feel a little more empowered so that YES, you can become a pioneer!! ;)

Shoe
08-23-2010, 10:58 PM
Welcome to the site! I hope you find it as informative and supportive as I have.

Cheers.

pandahoneybee
08-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Welcome to the group! There is alot of knowledge from all the members here, I love it!

Sarbare0704
08-24-2010, 11:26 AM
Welcome to the group! I know how you feel I cannot seem to find secular support groups here in Wisconsin either.

Sarah Camphouse
08-24-2010, 02:04 PM
welcome to the group! I am new too!

CoffeeHeidi
09-21-2010, 10:49 PM
Hi y'all! :-)

I grew up in Parkersburg, WV, moved away when I was 18, and am now living in the middle of NJ. Only get back every couple of years and always try to visit Dolly Sods. (I want my ashes scattered there so I, and any who visit me, can always look upon the beautiful mountains of home.) I can so imagine how hard it'd be to find like-minded secular homeschoolers in WV. It's hard enough in NJ and we're as diverse as you can get.

Syberchick70
10-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Hi! What city are you in? I'm in Beckley. I'm actually thinking about putting together a secular homeschooling group. Not sure how much interest there would be... but if there is, I would do it. My son is still only 3yrs old, but I'm already interested in meeting other homeschool families, especially those of the secular variety.

hockeymom
10-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Welcome! We're leading a pioneer life as secular homeschoolers too (up in New Brunswick, Canada) and this forum has been a life saver! We're an active bunch here at SHS so anytime you feel lonely come on over! :)

CoffeeHeidi
10-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Hi! What city are you in? I'm in Beckley. I'm actually thinking about putting together a secular homeschooling group. Not sure how much interest there would be... but if there is, I would do it. My son is still only 3yrs old, but I'm already interested in meeting other homeschool families, especially those of the secular variety.

Syberchick70, I went to church camp (Camp Cowen, a Baptist camp) in Beckley. :-)

Currently, I'm living in between Trenton and Newark, NJ. (Sorry, I don't give my exact city on public forums, especially after being on the receiving end of psycho hate-filled email & form posts from a couple of other homeschoolers.)

Miguels mommy
10-01-2010, 06:42 PM
I live in WV and moved from OH here for the inclusive co-op. Though many of them are christian they are dead set on letting anyone and everyone join.

Syberchick70
04-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Syberchick70, I went to church camp (Camp Cowen, a Baptist camp) in Beckley. :-)

Currently, I'm living in between Trenton and Newark, NJ. (Sorry, I don't give my exact city on public forums, especially after being on the receiving end of psycho hate-filled email & form posts from a couple of other homeschoolers.)

I understand, and it's a shame you have to feel that way!! But don't despair! We, a small but growing group of homeschoolers in WV, have just started a new Secular Homeschool Group, it's on Facebook (I'll post the link below). We are gearing up to have an annual Secular Homeschool State Conference!! How exciting, eh?

West Virginia Secular Homsechool (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_192723504106042)

Ariadne
04-20-2011, 12:36 AM
Syberchick70, I went to church camp (Camp Cowen, a Baptist camp) in Beckley. :-)Small world. I did, too. Stayed in cabin Calvery every year I went.