PDA

View Full Version : Ever look up something you now wish you didn't know?

ikslo
04-29-2014, 11:56 PM
Okay, so DS and I were watching Modern Marvels Engineering Disasters today, and there was a segment on Times Beach, MO and how it was contaminated by dioxins. So DS says to me, "Can we Google dioxins for Science today? That counts as Science, right?"

So we did. And then we looked up its molecular composition and built a molymod. It was a great lesson;), but perhaps I read off too much of the info online, because now I can't get out of my head how we are poisoning our bodies every time we eat meat or drink milk, and now my 7 year old has his excuse not to finish his milk that I can't really argue with. Vegan diet looking good!

Anyone else have a lesson that turned out to be something you wish you didn't know?

jenblackwell2
04-30-2014, 11:01 AM
Not exactly, but I'm sure the day will come. Although when I was about 12 I read The Jungle by Upton Sinclair, and I have been mostly vegetarian ever since. BTW 12 is way to young to read that book in my opinion...

Elly
04-30-2014, 11:19 AM
I read Auschwitz when I was about 15. Possibly should have waited a few years

Elly

Andi
04-30-2014, 12:04 PM
I also haven't come across anything since beginning homeschooling, but I did see some things in the streams around DC/Annapolis when I was working that I wish I hadn't seen. Sometimes I think it's just better to be somewhat in the dark about things you have no control over.

freerangedad
04-30-2014, 12:55 PM
I don't think it has happened in HS, but it does happen quite often with food related inquiries.
Here's one that happened to a homeschooling family in our area. Boy saved money for a long time. Buys $300 bird. Mom uses nonstick cookware to prepare dinner. Bird dies. It was so sad.
But at least there was a lesson in tephlon toxicity! :)

hockeymom
04-30-2014, 05:06 PM
That parasitic worms are not uncommon in fresh fish. Bet you can figure out how I found out. :vomit:

ejsmom
04-30-2014, 10:29 PM
So much of dealing with my son's health issues, food issues, toxicology issues, and so on have made most of the past 6 years of my life like that. I could send you links about the chemicals in common household products that could make you break out in cold sweats. But as far as school goes, the parasites were pretty gruesome. Sometimes for history, it bothers me how cruel and cold people were/are, and it doesn't make me feel hopeful for our world.

ikslo
04-30-2014, 10:40 PM
...parasites were pretty gruesome.

We haven't done parasites yet, really, but we did a spider study his Kinder year. Spider wasps (the ones that use spiders as a host for feeding their larvae) are definitely gruesome.

zcat
05-10-2014, 12:04 AM
I can't think of anything that I regret looking up.
Well, there was a video for food safety inspectors and it was pretty gross. I still don't exactly regret seeing it. It did make me cross food safety inspector off my potential job list forever.

Epiphany
05-10-2014, 01:54 AM
Well, as it relates to food issues, I have known way too much for way too long. I was a vigilante about it for the first couple of years of little man's life. You know, when his brain was new and malleable. Then I read some more and realized that even the things that I thought were helping (and costing twice as much), were really not what I thought that they were, I gave up. I still buy local meat and organic milk, fresh eggs, all that. But I have gotten much more lax about the rest. It's discouraging. Now we have fast food parties, and light money on fire and say to hell with it.

murphs_mom
05-10-2014, 03:05 AM
I grew up just south of St. Louis and spent a summer working at Six Flags in Eureka. The fine folks at Six Flags didn't like the info leaked, but Times Beach was spitting distance from the park (less than 10mi) and very near the Meramec River. I drove past Times Beach every day that summer and, as I did, I'd stare at all the houses that were boarded up and spray painted "KEEP OUT", "CONDEMNED", and "NO TRESPASSING". Nice homes, newish homes, homes that had swing sets in the yards. The yards were overgrown, and the whole stretch of that roadway was uber depressing and a bit scary. I can remember wondering how much of the toxins were in that river, and how many made their way into the water sources at the amusement park. I wasn't a biohazard expert, but I had a hard time imagining that the whole dioxin mess could have been contained in that little town. Such a depressing mess. I can also remember naively asking my parents (I was in my late teens/early 20's) why they didn't just raze the homes and put in new ones. Mom just stared at me like 'duh' and then explained that the whole area, especially the soil, was sooooo loaded with dioxin that it would be over 100yrs before the levels would even begin to dissipate. At least, that's what they were reporting in the nightly news back in the late 80's. I didn't know there was a documentary about it. Not sure I'd want to see it...would have to think about that.

As for 'things better left unknown', I can't think of anything directly related to HSing, but there is the dolphin slaughter going on in Taiji, Japan. DD went through a cetacean phase a few years ago and, toward the end of it, she insisted that she wanted to see "The Cove". Long story short, part of me wishes I didn't know about it. Through her studies on dolphins, I've learned A LOT about them and their intelligence levels. Knowing that they are self-aware (one of the few living creatures that can recognize themselves in a mirror) and very creative, it makes it that much tougher to know about Taiji. :(

Teri
05-10-2014, 08:21 AM
I was curious about the 7 headed rat king that was in our dance school's production of Krakatuk (the Nutcracker prequel). While it certainly made sense, I could have done without that. :p

I do love sharing it though. ;) Rat king (folklore) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_king_(folklore))

redww6
07-30-2014, 03:29 PM
my children have a genetic disease that they inherited from their father (who passed away)
my youngest son was in addition diagnosed with a Tumor called plexiform neurofibroma tumor, it took me nearly 8 months to get up enough courage to look up pictures of it .......& yup its as horrible as I thought it was going to be.....its really horrible. there's no cure, its to deep with in the muscle to do anything for it, it will keep growing for his whole life & since its a nerve based its extremely painful as he will get older.....

ScienceGeek
07-30-2014, 04:08 PM
redww6, oh man, that sucks. Maybe a cure will be found, or at least something to help manage it, decrease its growth rate.

bibiche
07-30-2014, 05:15 PM
That parasitic worms are not uncommon in fresh fish. Bet you can figure out how I found out. :vomit:

CrazyCatWoman
08-05-2014, 11:30 PM
Oh, forget about being vegan if you don't want to kill living things. Watching my husband harvest wheat and soybeans was an eye opening experience that perhaps would have been better not to see. (It bothered me more than butchering pigs, deer and elk.) There are a LOT more bugs than you would expect that get "harvested" with those crops.