PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Desserts

aspiecat
04-22-2014, 03:40 PM
I like a good balance of savoury and sweet fare when it comes to mealtimes, and although actually making a dessert doesn't happen often in our household, I try to make one that we all enjoy. Having a DH who isn't really a dessert person has proved to be interesting, but here are a couple that I will make, knowing he will enjoy them.

Impossible Pie

2 cups milk

1 cup flaked coconut

4 eggs

1teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

6 tablespoons margarine

3/4 cup white sugar

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Method:

Place milk, coconut, eggs, vanilla, flour, margarine, and sugar in blender.
Pour into a greased and floured 10 inch pie plate. Sprinkle nutmeg on top.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes.

Hot Chocolate Bread Pudding

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

6 large eggs

6 tablespoons granulated sugar

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 cup light brown sugar

1/2 cup cocoa powder

2 1/2 cups whole milk

1 cup heavy cream

8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped

1 teaspoon instant espresso powder

1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

12 ounces French bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes

4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces

For the Whipped Cream:

12 ounces heavy cream

1 tablespoon granulated sugar

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Method:
Grease 9x13-inch baking dish with butter; set aside. In large bowl, whisk eggs, granulated sugar, and salt until lightened, about 30 seconds; set aside.

In medium saucepan, whisk brown sugar with cocoa to combine. Whisk in milk and cream and heat over medium heat until warm. Whisk in bittersweet chocolate, espresso powder, and cinnamon until chocolate is melted. Whisk chocolate mixture into egg mixture until combined. Whisk in vanilla extract.

Add bread cubes to chocolate mixture and gently toss to evenly moisten bread. Let sit to allow bread to thoroughly saturate, 30 to 45 minutes, occasionally pressing bread gently with rubber spatula. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees F.

Gently pour bread mixture into prepared baking dish. Tuck chopped semisweet chocolate into bread pudding, evenly distributing. Bake until pudding is just set in center, 45 to 55 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool about 30 minutes before serving.

In chilled bowl of standing mixer fitted with whip attachment, whip cream, sugar, and vanilla on medium-high speed until soft peak. Serve with bread pudding.

farrarwilliams
04-22-2014, 06:37 PM
Cookies. It's all about cookies.

I especially like Not Neiman Marcus Cookies (http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2009/09/21/the-famed-neiman-marcus-cookie/) and Sara Foster's Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies (http://asarcasticappetite.wordpress.com/tag/sara-foster/). The Sara Foster ones come out right every single time.

Other desserts are fine and all. I really like pie... but I am not so hot at making killer pie. I can bake cookies that will knock your socks off.

dbmamaz
04-22-2014, 10:50 PM
I'm big on pies. Recently, I've made this peanutbutter pie (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Peanut-Butter-Pie-VIII/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=peanut%20butter%20pie&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page&soid=sr_results_p1i6) - its basically a vanilla pudding and a meringue topping, with peanutbutter-powderedsugar crumbles. we all love it.

Usually at holidays I make a lot of pies - lemon meringue, apple-cranberry crisp, chocolate chess or chocolate pecan, pumpkin, and I have a great blueberry tart . . i also love making peach cobbler in peach season.

Cookies dont always get eaten here. I used to make cookie dough and freeze it so I could just bake up a dozen at a time, which is about all we'll eat before getting tired of them - except meringues, which I love. I made meringue-like macaroons for passover and everyone loved them. Sometimes Orion will make double-chocolate peanut butter flourless cookies, which are awesome.

I also like making candy in the microwave - I have a quick fudge recipe I make (w powdered sugar), a microwave peanut brittle, and a microwave pecan praline

Oh, and all of it without any gluten or dairy . . .

panama10
04-22-2014, 10:57 PM
My all time favorite is Pecan Pie with a scoop of Vanilla ice cream. Unfortunately I have no clue how to make it.

Also love Tres Leches (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/tres-leche-cake-recipe.html)cake, which is a traditional Latin American dessert.

Crabby Lioness
04-26-2014, 05:45 PM
We have a sweet tea at 4pm instead of desert. Dh dislikes an early supper. We make cakes, brownies, puddings, pies, and pastries. Cookies are for when we're traveling. Now that the children are older I'm serving more fruit salads at this time. Yesterday was cantaloupe, strawberry, and blueberry in sundae glasses.

redww6
07-30-2014, 02:47 PM
oreo brownies - layers 1st layer brownie mix (follow directions on box, or homemade recipe)
2nd layer crushed oreos (a little bit -Don't crush them to much)
3rd layer more of brownie mix
you can use what ever pan you want, if you use a 9 x 13 pan you will need 2 brownie mixes
Glass pans work why better

additional options *pretzels
*peanut butter
*topped with walnuts
*chocolate chips
*peanut butter chips

Tanaqui
07-31-2014, 08:36 AM
I'm a big fan of crumbles. They're super easy, a five year old could do it if you handle the oven parts. Put your fruit in your pie tin, chopped or sliced or however you like. Add some flour and possibly lemon juice (if it's a very sweet fruit) or sugar (if it's overly tart). Combine flour, butter, and sugar in a bowl until it tastes right, add any spices you like, toss it on top, throw the whole thing in a 350 oven for 20 minutes, call it a day. Feel happy that you're eating lots of fruit!

aspiecat
07-31-2014, 11:21 AM
I love crumbles. Rhubarb is a favourite of mine...as is apple. But DS and DH...neither of them like cooked fruit at all. So fresh fruit for dessert is easy. Hmmm...so long as it's the fruit they like. They're picky guys.

The Oreo Brownie thing...OMG...my MIL would love that. She will bake two lots of boxed brownie mix in one big pan and go through it in two days. She loves weird things for breakfast.

ejsmom
07-31-2014, 12:47 PM
This time of year, the peaches are in season where I live. My grandma always made fabulous peach pies. Her recipe, however, contains ingredients my son can't eat. So I make a peach tart. It's simple. It's appearance is, well, rustic. I make the crust in the food processer (butter, flour, a bit of ice cold water, small amount of sugar, pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom). Before I make the crust I slice up fresh peaches and toss in a bit of cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom (just a bit) and then a just bit of sweetener - maple syrup, brown sugar, whatever. Then I roll out the crust in an oval on a Silpat sheet, put the peaches in and fold over the edges I sprinkle the whole thing with large grain sugar crystals and bake until slightly brown and bubbling. Slice and serve warm with vanilla ice cream. One of my summer traditions.

Another treat is a frozen lemon/vanilla cream pie. It uses frozen lemonade, vanilla ice cream, whipped cream (or cool whip) and vanilla extract. you mix it all up and fill a graham cracker or shortbread cookie pie crust and freeze it and top with whipped cream. So refreshing on a hot summer night.

ScienceGeek
07-31-2014, 02:38 PM
Cookies. I always have the ingredients to make cookies and make them all the time. Brownies from scratch are another one I can do at the drop of a hat, though recently I discovered throwing in half a cup of mini chocolate chips into the batter make them sooo much better.

I love pie but can't make a good one to save my life....except tofu pie - it comes out like a chocolate mousse pie and is soooo good with vanilla ice-cream. Store bought graham cracker crust. Blend firm tofu (20oz) in blender. Melt some honey (3/4 cup), 3 tsp vanilla and cocoa (1/2 c) in a small saucepan. Once the chocolate sauce is melted/blended, pour it blender with tofu, blend then pour into crust. Refrigerate and eat.

Avalon
08-02-2014, 12:06 AM
I can't believe no one has mentioned brownies and squares! I do make cookies, but if I need a serious chocolatey treat, it's brownies for sure. I also make a lot of squares, but baking is kind of a fall & winter only activity around here. I'm not going to bake inside for the 3 months that it's actually warm out.

aspiecat
08-12-2014, 11:53 AM
My MIL loves brownies. But she will only buy basic box mix from the dollar stores when they're on special LOL. That means she can make double the amount and eat them over two days. I've tried them - they don't taste very nice "but they're CHEAP" she will say, and that makes them delicious to her.

I don't use box mixes at all - unless it's for a pumpkin pie cake I make. DH asked me to make a mandarin orange cake that has a frosting made of cool whip and crushed pineapple. It's basically the only cake DH will eat. The recipe calls for 'traditional yellow cake' mix but there wasn't any in the house, so I happily made it from scratch. DH ate one bit, FIL a few more, then 10 days later I chucked the rest of it out. MIL asked me why - I said no-one was eating it and I suspected it was because I had made the cake from scratch. FIL was in the room and agreed - he prefers the "softer, light, more sugary" cake mix quality. DH said nothing but I guess it's the same for him.

How can anyone prefer something made out of a box? I don't get it...

Tanaqui
08-12-2014, 12:24 PM
How can anyone prefer something made out of a box? I don't get it...

It's what they grew up with, so it's what they're used to, so it tastes normal.

Personally, I think box mixes are a big scam.

dbmamaz
08-12-2014, 12:46 PM
I always made the kids birthday cakes from scratch, but I noticed more got eaten from a mix or a supermarket cake

JenRay
08-12-2014, 02:41 PM
I don't mind boxed cake mixes actually, and usually use them (I make carrot cake and Wacky cake from scratch). But the frosting MUST be from scratch! That stuff that comes in a tub is just awful.

BerthaCardone
08-20-2014, 01:10 AM
[FONT=verdana][SIZE=2]I like a good balance of savoury and sweet fare when it comes to mealtimes,
For healthy diet proper balance of sugar and salt is very important. Your body needs less than one gram of sodium a day that comes from half teaspoon of salt. Be good to your body, because salt not only increase the taste of your meal but also keep your body balanced.