PDA

View Full Version : Minecraft Homeschool

aspiecat
04-20-2014, 01:23 PM
Well, DS finished his first week of Minecraft Homeschool's Vikings Victories - Advanced class, and had a heap of fun. It was great to watch him look forward to this time of day (after the "boring" lessons were done with LOL), and sit with him while he chatted to me about the things he was doing and ideas that were coming to him throughout the build.

This type of thing is so ideal for kids who enjoy a multi-faceted approach to learning, and it teaches them that there is more than one way to do something. If only this type of learning was allowed in regular schools, as opposed to sitting down and taking notes all day, every day (I exaggerate, but you get what I mean).

Anyone looking to get their video-gamer kids involved in something different, do try Minecraft Homeschool.

Aspie

Jen V
04-20-2014, 04:54 PM
My daughter has been interested in Minecraft as most of the kids in her current PS are playing. I do some gaming myself but Minecraft looks like going backwards technology wise. However, since I've joined these forums I have found several threads championing Minecraft as a learning tool. My 11 y/o daughter has some experience with mmorpg's (mostly wandering around the environment) but no experience with Minecraft. Is it something she can pick up by herself or does it require a high learning curve? I'm going to look through the website for Minecraft Homeschool, it looks like they have a summer camp of sorts.

Thanks for the info Aspie :)

Deli76
04-20-2014, 07:18 PM
We tried and could not get in , it kept saying we were white listed and we just could not get it to work beyond that. So sad because dd LOVES minecraft!

aspiecat
04-20-2014, 09:48 PM
My daughter has been interested in Minecraft as most of the kids in her current PS are playing. I do some gaming myself but Minecraft looks like going backwards technology wise. However, since I've joined these forums I have found several threads championing Minecraft as a learning tool. My 11 y/o daughter has some experience with mmorpg's (mostly wandering around the environment) but no experience with Minecraft. Is it something she can pick up by herself or does it require a high learning curve? I'm going to look through the website for Minecraft Homeschool, it looks like they have a summer camp of sorts.

Thanks for the info Aspie :)

Jen, the thing about MC is just how much kids DO learn while playing it - it's quite amazing, really. The old-fashioned look and movement ability is quite deliberate, and sets it apart from other modern games. Although you can kill skeletons and zombies in this game, the violence/blood/gore aspect is very "lite" and nothing like the upper echelons of CGI in other games, and I think you can turn off the "monsters" anyway.

MC is pretty easy for kids to learn, and they have fun because it moves in a way reminiscent of the 80s games, when simplicity of movement and graphics meant you could concentrate on the actual game itself. And really, it's all about building, but don't let that fool you - there are many layers to MC and it can be as challenging as you want it to be. As for Minecraft Homeschool, kids don't have to be experts at it to join in - far from it! They can do the introduction class, and there are non-graded classes where they learn about an educational topic while practising their Minecraft skills.

aspiecat
04-20-2014, 09:53 PM
We tried and could not get in , it kept saying we were white listed and we just could not get it to work beyond that. So sad because dd LOVES minecraft!

I've not heard of being "white-listed" - but not being able to get in might be because the latest courses have already commenced and the next lot commence in September. There is the summer class option, however, which we're considering as it'll give DS something to do over the summer break.

Jen V
04-20-2014, 09:56 PM
My husband will love the idea of her playing an 80's style game. I think she'll like it too - a lot of the games we have played over the years tend to be very involved in terms of playability. I'm interested to see what skills she'll pick up. So far her internet/computer usage has been very limited and highly monitored. (I have nightmares about her typing some innocent search term into Google and seeing all manner of unexpected/inexplicable images. I've done it myself on occasion! Yikes!) As she gets older though I don't want my fears about the internet to spill over onto her not learning how to operate them.

Thanks again for the info. Looking forward to checking it out!

Fairielover
04-20-2014, 10:24 PM
White listed means you have permission to use the server. When my son had his own server he had to "white list" the friends he wanted on it.

justabout
04-21-2014, 05:31 AM
Thanks for this headsup. I registered son for the summer school today.

aspiecat
04-21-2014, 10:12 AM
White listed means you have permission to use the server. When my son had his own server he had to "white list" the friends he wanted on it.

Ah...I see. DS probably knows that term but I am not a gamer so am blank to that LOL. I would think you have to register your child before you get that permission, and as there are classes currently in session for this term, the soonest one can join is the summer course, then early September the regular classes start again. DS is keen to do the summer course, which is for 12 weeks, then he'll do the regular classes after that.

dbmamaz
04-21-2014, 10:54 AM
I'm not entirely sure Deli means the Homeschool Minecraft classes, or the homeschool-run minecraft server which was discussed last year?

aspiecat
04-21-2014, 11:22 AM
Ah - I see!