PDA

View Full Version : We're official

BPier12
08-20-2010, 04:52 PM
...and I'm officially freaking out. I went to the county school district office today to register "...our intent to establish and maintain a home education program for our child, according to Flordia Statutes 1002.41". My request was met with a glare from the woman who had to rubber-stamp my paperwork which did not help dissuade me from the feelings that I'd been having all day that I'm going to fail at this. In reality, I know that this is not true. DS in on board, DH is on board, they're both excited and I'm looking at the pile of materials that I've accumulated and am thinking that I have no clue what I'm going to do with all of it come Monday when we really start. I have a few perfectionist tendencies and I really need to let myself off the hook about all of this, but I keep feeling that if I don't have everything organized and together on Monday morning, DS is going to look at me like I'm out of my mind and wonder why we decided to do this in the first place.

Any suggestions on how to help me relax??????????? :p

AshleysMum
08-20-2010, 04:58 PM
1. Congrats!
2. You will NOT fail.
3. Have a cup of tea, it helps.

I'm a perfectionist as well and over organized so I know how you feel! If it helps, I have our "story" on our page (see signature).

StartingOver
08-20-2010, 08:24 PM
I am a perfectionist, and way to organized. I have learned over the years to start slowly. Reading, writing, and arithmetic are first !! Get them worked out and lined up. Start on them alone. Add in the other subjects one at a time. It allows you time to organize, and time for your son to adjust.

Homeschooling is not like public school. Even in Senior high none of my children worked 7 hours a day. They worked for a solid 3 or 4. But the rest was used to follow their interests.

Take a deep breath, you will not fail. You can do this, I have faith in you. One step at a time, breath !!!!

And hugs to you.

wild_destiny
08-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Beth, congratulations on being official! :) It IS daunting, isn't it. Like the others said, relax and take some deep breaths--and then celebrate that your son and husband are on board with you and excited at the prospect of learning at home! This is itself a good omen (not every family boasts two parents who are into h.s.ing, with excited "students" to boot!). One of the keys to good homeschooling is not to treat it (from the point of view as a parent) as if you must know everything about every subject, but to approach it from the point of being a guide and overseer to empower your children to become independent learners and thinkers. So relax, and have some fun with it. Hoping your Monday gets off to a terrific start!

JEJordan9
08-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Congratulations and have fun!! We are in Florida too.

hockeymom
08-21-2010, 06:11 AM
Beth, congratulations on being official! :) It IS daunting, isn't it. Like the others said, relax and take some deep breaths--and then celebrate that your son and husband are on board with you and excited at the prospect of learning at home! This is itself a good omen (not every family boasts two parents who are into h.s.ing, with excited "students" to boot!). One of the keys to good homeschooling is not to treat it (from the point of view as a parent) as if you must know everything about every subject, but to approach it from the point of being a guide and overseer to empower your children to become independent learners and thinkers. So relax, and have some fun with it. Hoping your Monday gets off to a terrific start!

What Deanna said. You'll be learning right alongside your son, a concept I had a hard time wrapping my head around until we started getting into it more. Embrace the fact that it's nothing like public school, and that the "rules" aren't as mystifying as they seem.

DS wants to put in his two cents. He says, "Homeschooling is so much fun and you get learn so much other stuff than you do in school!"

Have fun with it Beth. It WILL be okay! :)

pandahoneybee
08-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Welcome to the dark side Beth;) lol Now you have done your homework over the past months and I am sure that your are organized enough! Like everyone said take it one day at a time and reach out to us if you start hyper-ventilating;) This is a good thing for all of you just do want feels right a day and I am sure that your son and your entire family will have a wonderful learning experience. Seriously you are a great mom so no worries on the pressure.

Oh yea and a massage by the beach might help;) or a drink (that helps me), or if you are a health nut yoga or ice cream if your not!
hugs to ya and we are only a post away!

Topsy
08-21-2010, 09:50 AM
The way to best relax might be by letting DS take the lead a bit on Monday. Use it as a way to have discussions about what he wants to get out of the experience. Talk to him about what his future goals are and how you see yourself as a facilitator on helping him to get them accomplished. Show him the materials you've picked and explain WHY you picked them and what you see them helping him with. As long as you and DS see it as a cooperative effort, working for his best interest, then there is absolutely nothing to stress about. You are simply working together as a team to give him the best preparation possible for his best life!! :)

BPier12
08-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Thanks, everyone for the great words of encouragement and advice. You all reminded me of a couple of very important things:

1) This is a process and I don't have to have all of the answers Monday morning.

2) I don't have to have every subject covered and ready to go immediately. Taking it slowly at first is ok.

3) Breathe! LOL...

4) This is a collaboration with my son. I am not a dictator and he has the opportunity to explore and dream in ways he never could at school.

Hugs right back at all of you! Thanks again! :D

wild_destiny
08-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Beth, you summed up these points really well. I think I may just copy your summary and keep it handy to remind me of what is important in this endeavor. :)

Teri
08-21-2010, 08:11 PM
I would add one more:
Spend Monday doing everything BUT school just because you CAN!

Shoe
08-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks, everyone for the great words of encouragement and advice. You all reminded me of a couple of very important things:

1) This is a process and I don't have to have all of the answers Monday morning.

2) I don't have to have every subject covered and ready to go immediately. Taking it slowly at first is ok.

3) Breathe! LOL...

4) This is a collaboration with my son. I am not a dictator and he has the opportunity to explore and dream in ways he never could at school.

Hugs right back at all of you! Thanks again! :D
I'm going to write that down somewhere so that I can remember it. Great advice.

I'm sure you'll do wonderfully with this, Beth, but I can certainly understand the cold feet. I've been feeling the same recently.

BPier12
08-21-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm going to write that down somewhere so that I can remember it. Great advice.

I'm sure you'll do wonderfully with this, Beth, but I can certainly understand the cold feet. I've been feeling the same recently.

Thanks for the encouragement, Shoe! How are you feeling about gearing up to have your daughter home too?

BPier12
08-21-2010, 11:30 PM
I would add one more:
Spend Monday doing everything BUT school just because you CAN!

LOL, that's what we've been doing all summer! Now I feel like we have to start or we'll just keep lazing away the days.... ;)

mommykicksbutt
08-22-2010, 07:44 AM
You both will do just fine! Relax, his brain is a sponge, just tip over the cup of knowledge in his direction letting it spill out and for sure he will soak it up on his own. You shouldn't have to do much teaching at all, however there will still be a lot of learning going on, you just have to facilitate it, show him where the puddle is and let him splash around in it all he wants. Listen to his feedback to know if what you are doing is working and don't be afraid to change gears to get/keep on the right track.

Shoe
08-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the encouragement, Shoe! How are you feeling about gearing up to have your daughter home too?

I'm a bit nervous. I understand my son's learning style well, because he is so much like me in many ways. My daughter is much more creative, active, high spirited and stubborn, and far more creative. So her learning style is very different. I'm sure I'll do fine, but it's going to be quite different and a big adjustment from the way I teach my son.

BPier12
08-22-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm a bit nervous. I understand my son's learning style well, because he is so much like me in many ways. My daughter is much more creative, active, high spirited and stubborn, and far more creative. So her learning style is very different. I'm sure I'll do fine, but it's going to be quite different and a big adjustment from the way I teach my son.

It's a process, isn't it, trying to figure out how they learn best when they've been subjected to one way of doing it in school. I'm sure that you will do well, Shoe, and do what is best for her!

Shoe
08-22-2010, 12:48 PM
It's a process, isn't it, trying to figure out how they learn best when they've been subjected to one way of doing it in school. I'm sure that you will do well, Shoe, and do what is best for her!

Thanks, and I'm sure you'll do fine as well. Are you still going to be in Boston this fall and is your son going to join you for part of it?

BPier12
08-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks, and I'm sure you'll do fine as well. Are you still going to be in Boston this fall and is your son going to join you for part of it?

Yes, I will be in Boston for almost all of October and the first two weeks in November. We are still finalizing plans for DS and DH to visit, but it is looking like they will come, probably in November. I'd still love to get together with you and your kids and will PM you once we have more concrete details. :)

Shoe
08-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Yes, I will be in Boston for almost all of October and the first two weeks in November. We are still finalizing plans for DS and DH to visit, but it is looking like they will come, probably in November. I'd still love to get together with you and your kids and will PM you once we have more concrete details. :)

Sounds great!

garett
08-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Hey Beth,

We're in a similar boat right now. We're "officially" starting on September 7th (we decided to pick the same day that public kids go back), so we have about a week left before we get to see how much good all of our preparation did us lol.

Here we don't have to register but we have to send a letter of intent to the school board. We mailed ours about 2 weeks ago and I remember the feeling of anxiety when I went to the post office. We still haven't heard anything from the school board so we're still nervous, hoping that nothing will occur and they will just leave us alone.

Good luck. I look forward to sharing stories and anecdotes. How old are your children ? Our daughters are 9 and 10, and were in public school from K through 3 & 4.

BPier12
08-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Hey Beth,

We're in a similar boat right now. We're "officially" starting on September 7th (we decided to pick the same day that public kids go back), so we have about a week left before we get to see how much good all of our preparation did us lol.

Here we don't have to register but we have to send a letter of intent to the school board. We mailed ours about 2 weeks ago and I remember the feeling of anxiety when I went to the post office. We still haven't heard anything from the school board so we're still nervous, hoping that nothing will occur and they will just leave us alone.

Good luck. I look forward to sharing stories and anecdotes. How old are your children ? Our daughters are 9 and 10, and were in public school from K through 3 & 4.

Hi garett,

We're through week 1 and I'm happy to report that all is well! We've received no backlash from the school district, DS is happy with the materials we have, and we are still speaking to each other. All good signs! DS just turned 13 at the beginning of August. He has been in public and private schools from pre-school through 7th and we are taking his 8th grade year to enjoy the time learning at home. We'll reevaluate the situation about six months in to see whether or not we want to continue homeschooling into high school or whether he wants to go back into a brick and mortar school at the end of this school year. It is anybody's guess at this point how it will all turn out, but we're happy with our decision to homeschool for the time being. If anything, I wish that we had started sooner.

Best of luck to you and your girls as you get started!! :)