PDA

View Full Version : How many days do you homeschool?

rebjc
04-12-2014, 12:02 PM
This is our first year and I laughably thought we would HS 6 days/week.

We now HS 4 days and on a rare week, it may only be 3 if something comes up. Though my kids are young - 6,5, 4 & 4. My oldest goes to an all day nature school, so I suppose she is getting 5 days of active learning.

How many days do you homeschool?

twooakharborhicks
04-12-2014, 12:20 PM
I always have the best intentions, but we usually only get 4 even in a good week. Life just gets in the way.

farrarwilliams
04-12-2014, 12:32 PM
Depending on how you count it... often all seven. (ducks and covers).

Part of that is that the two days we don't sit down for table school are days we do other schooly things - co-op one day and science with another couple of families and a botony class sometimes the other.

It's common for us to miss another day of table school stuff, which means only four days of math, spelling, etc. However, I really count co-op and science day as school, so that makes 6 at least and we do often do five days, but one or two of them will be really short - just a couple of hours tops.

hockeymom
04-12-2014, 12:59 PM
For table work, five. But the rest of it? Well, 7 because the distinctions get blurry, right?

quabbin
04-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Five. Not that he's not learning anything on other days--he watched the Wright Brothers Nova episode today; last Saturday I took him to an astronomy event, etc. But five days on which I plan and count as school, probably 45 weeks out of the year. Monday will be the 158th day of kindergarten.
Now, on those school days, is "school" the whole time he'd be in PS, ~9 AM to 3:30 PM? Pretty much never.

Mariam
04-12-2014, 01:58 PM
We schedule 4 days of formal math/reading/subject matter of choice. The other three days are for field trips, outside time, other activities. It could be up to 7 days a week if you include the many other activities that we do out and about.

aspiecat
04-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Five, meaning Mon - Fri, with extra touch-typing practice Saturday and Sunday, but only as much as 30 mins of that each weekend day. He also seems to spend weekends going through his own extension work for Music and IT, which is obviously a good thing... I guess oftentimes the lines are, as hockeymum says, blurred.

trulycrabby
04-12-2014, 03:13 PM
Five days, then sometimes math on the weekend. DS10 learns best in smaller segments of time, so I spread the work around a bit.

RTB
04-12-2014, 07:33 PM
We do book work five days a week. Saturdays are full of sports, friends, sleep overs, or yard work (boo). Sundays are a bit of a decompression day for all of us where we usually just veg out. I always wish I could hs all week, but Friday PM I'm out of steam, and usually in introvert overload.

mamaraby
04-13-2014, 12:59 AM
5 with qualifications. During soccer season we might stretch into 6. When gym class is going on we're at 4 days pf seat work, one day of outside stuff. When gym isn't going we have 4 days of seatwork plus one day set aside for art/music/poetry tea.

ETA: we also work on a 5/2, 5/3 schedule so every other weekend is a 3 day weekend and our weekend only lines up with sat/sun once a quarter. It's my dh's work schedule - this way we're all off together. Today was our first day back for the week and was a seatwork day. Tomorrow we'll fit in some grocery shopping plus our art-y day. Monday is always a bit different because we watch Cosmos on Hulu with dh, but we'll still work in our usual seatwork. Tuesday and Wednesday will be much like today. Thursday-Saturday will be our weekend.

When my ds was the same age as your oldest and my only one doing schoolwork, things were a great deal looser. As they get older, things start to firm up a bit. For one, there's just more school work to be done. For the other, you're learning, too. :0)

murphs_mom
04-13-2014, 01:37 AM
I shoot for five days, but frequently we end up doing a 6th or 7th because one of the initial five was shortchanged (for whatever reason). FWIW, days 6 & 7 are more like 'HS lite' most of the time.

Gummers
04-13-2014, 01:55 AM
5 days with 4 of those being sit down type work and the 5th being field trips, coop style single lessons or PE days. We only rarely make up work on the weekends. When not travelling during the summer months when it is too hot to go outside, we tend to do more days of sit down learning.

We live in a very family oriented apartment complex and this year my children's friends list has exploded. Its impossible to get even informal learning done on the weekends when the weather is good because my door bell is ringing all the time and the kids can't stay focused on anything. Those people who say "But how will you socialize them?!" need to come and try to peacefully read a book on my couch on a Saturday.

inmom
04-13-2014, 07:13 AM
Technically, 5 days a week. However, my teens often have "spill-over" work either from me or from their dual credit course they take to complete on the weekend. Usually they don't do much schoolwork on Sunday since they work a full shift at a cafe that day.

Elly
04-13-2014, 10:59 AM
I kind of aim for 5 days, but I'm not too fussed if it doesn't happen (he's only six). If we're really busy in the week, I might carry over some to the weekend. Like everyone else, there are so many other activities that are 'educational', doing 'lessons' isn't necessarily the be all and end all. I think it's useful to have a plan, though ;)

Elly

rebjc
04-13-2014, 02:52 PM
Yes, I imagine as our kids get older the lines will get blurrier. For now, my kids haven't found an interest in which they have are becoming self directed learners, and perhaps they are still too young for that. Ala Charlotte Mason, I think it'll take some time of "spreading the feast" with directed learning before they learn how to pursue interests on their own. That is something I admire about some unschooling families that they spend what seems like a lot of time, energy and resources creating a learning environment that excites and motivates their children from an early age to learn on their own. Not that my kids never learn on their own or that play isn't learning, but at this point they aren't digging deeper on topics on their own.

Keiran'sMom
04-13-2014, 04:59 PM
We do four Mon through Thurs for math, reading, writing, and then science, art or something. Fridays are "fun" day; we take nature walks, go to mueseums, or something like that. We don't call it a school day but it really is. Saturday and Sunday are lead by him. Either we play a lot or learn stuff, all up to him.

Avalon
04-13-2014, 06:28 PM
I'm going to say 7 days, but that's because it's kind of "catch as catch can" around here. I'm so busy that I will seize any hour or two to sit down with a kid and try to get something done. As far as they know, most of their schoolwork happens Mon-Friday between about 9:30am and noon. If I have to go out, they will get some work done on their own and I'll do a bit "homework" with them later. I also include many other things as part of their education, which may happen any day of the week. We will also abandon the school routine for almost any reason-field trips, appointments, beautiful weather, etc..., and I don't worry about making up the time.

pdpele
04-14-2014, 01:05 AM
3 days. Really people are you fudging the numbers? Ok, my ds is 6.5 and we have just recently got in a groove. But even on a great week I'd be hard pressed to claim 4 days for a full day of reading practice/math practice/science or artsy craft or social studies.

murphs_mom
04-14-2014, 01:30 AM
Not fudging. I promise. :)

Can't speak for anyone else, but I've got a (mostly) self-directed learner who will do the bulk of her workbook/worksheet stuff solo. If she has questions, she'll bring it to me in the garden or while I'm doing dishes and ask for help. In between her assignments, she's got free time to do what she wants (half hour or so). She'll set the timer on the stove and go do whatever. Sometimes it's drawing, playing w/LEGO, playing with MLP stuff, building something from empty cereal boxes and tape (her latest fascination), or reading for pleasure. But her reading for pleasure may be reading a Childcraft book, a Nat'l Geographic mag, or something equally educational. I still count that as learning. If she's helping in the garden, it counts (earth science). If she's watching Cosmos (like tonight) and taking notes, I count it.

She's been like this since she was 3 or 4yo. Kid is insatiable and, frankly, it can be exhausting. And she's not the only one like this. I really don't think others are trying to turn this into a contest. :p Some kids are just wired to spend more time with a book in hand, and others are more content to do Minecraft or hang out on the swing set. None of those are bad things...just different. That means that different kids will have different #'s for the amount of time spent on schoolwork. KWIM? And perhaps there will be some kids who have to spend extra time on the school work because of issues like dyslexia.

Bottom line: if your kid is happy and learning, you're spending enough time on HSing. ;)

mamaraby
04-14-2014, 01:33 AM
3 days. Really people are you fudging the numbers? Ok, my ds is 6.5 and we have just recently got in a groove. But even on a great week I'd be hard pressed to claim 4 days for a full day of reading practice/math practice/science or artsy craft or social studies.

No. You have to remember that many of the posters above have older kids and have been doing this for awhile. Older students will always mean more work which will require more days. I've also found that as each year goes by I settle in my groove quicker and the process gets easier as well. Also, for those that say 6 or 7 that doesn't necessarily mean a full day. When we slide into the 6 day week, the 6th is typically lighter than our main week.

What are you considering a full day? 8 hours? 5 hours? I need 875 hours to meet what is required by state law which I figure as 175 days at 5 hours. We usually do school from 8am-noon. That's four hours. My son reads for 30 minutes before bed and we do our read aloud for 30 minutes after dinner. That's 5 and a full day. I'm less generous than some people are in what I count towards our schooling. I don't count every time the kids play Stack the States or something like that, but I could justifiably do so. Ds has picked up an incredibly robust understanding of US Geography just by playing it.

Do some days end up a bit lighter? Yup. Likewise, some end up longer, but it all evens out over the course of the year. I track my hours in Homeschool Skedtrack which helps me appreciate just how much we actually do in a year. If you aren't tracking it in some written/typed form, I suggest you do so. Maybe you really only get 3 days worth in a week. It also might surprise you to see just how much "school" have been doing.

ScienceGeek
04-14-2014, 02:41 AM
We're lucky if we do 'school work' 2 or 3 days a week but the kids are in a ton of classes and I count all that. By the time we get home some days I'm too tired and I know the kids' brains are mush so there's not much point in trying to cram more into them. We only have 2 big chunks of time at home and that's when we do math, reading and history. But we read every night, I'm usually reading a historical fiction or 'classic' and then they read their own books. One kid also does a journal and piano every night, and all three of us have Japanese homework that we do each night. So if you count that we do school 6-7 days a week. But what they do that looks like typical school - sitting a desk/table (actually my oldest son refuses to sit at the table and does all his work in the giant comfy sack - think 7 ft bean bag) - is only 2 or 3 days a week.

rebjc
04-14-2014, 07:53 AM
This is definitely not a competition. :) I love getting glimpses of other's homeschooling lifestyles.

And we are in TX, and don't have to keep record of days/instruction. If so, I would count a lot more. For me, I call it a day of homeschooling if it is stuff I wouldn't be doing if my kids were in school. So an outing during a school day, field trip, counts but an outing on a weekend doesn't count. But I sure as heck would count it if we had to keep attendance records.

I do this for personal accountability. I tend towards being lazy if I don't have these guidelines for our homeschooling. It is also important for my particular kids to have a predictable school routine. Like we don't play together in the morning before the start of our school day. The times I have let this slide there at either tantrums bc they don't want to stop or sibling squabbles derail our schedule.

crunchymum
04-14-2014, 08:13 AM
For my youngest 3 it's 4 days a week of planned pen to paper academics. It's about 3 - 4 hours a day typically, and the afternoons are usually reserved for sports, co-ops/classes and volunteering. Evenings may include projects or catch up.
Friday's are co-op and book club days.
Weekends are hit and miss and may include projects that bleed into homeschooling, field trips, read alouds or videos that are related to homeschool topics etc. My struggling reader reads out loud every day.

For my teen he manages his own schedule and although he tries to keep his weekends mostly clear of school work I know he has homework that he does those days for his online classes.

Keiran'sMom
04-14-2014, 09:56 AM
When I say a day I mean 3-4 hours of formal work a day, spread out. We do about two hours in the morning; math, writing, and spelling. In the afternoon we do two hours for reading, science, art, and music. In between we do a lot of other educational activities but they are not part of the formal parts. Our co-op on Tuesdays is in the afternoon so those days his co-op counts as the same time. I keep a journal with everything we do, roughly how long it takes, and if I have any concerns about something. So I guess it depends on the definition of day; not a full 8 hour work day but more like a part time job. Lol.

dbmamaz
04-14-2014, 10:00 AM
I have a high school senior and a 5th grader - we do school every weekday with only occasional lost days. Wednesdays are light, though, due to both martial arts class and afternoon park day. academics for 6 yos are a lot different than academics for 16 yos

MrsLOLcat
04-14-2014, 10:00 AM
We do five, too, but sometimes we vary WHICH five. ;)

banjobaby
04-14-2014, 10:52 AM
It varies pretty wildly. Last week we did six days of sit down work. This week, I know we will at least skip today since DD is overtired and crabby, which I don't find conducive to learning, so it will definitely be less than 6. My kids are all very young at 7, 4, and a baby. We homeschool in large part for the flexibility, and because I think so much of what we do that isn't sit down work is still educational. I wouldn't say she isn't learning just because she's spending the morning sulking in her room reading A Little Princess rather than working on math with me.

pdpele
04-14-2014, 11:05 AM
Ok - I was trying to be funny. I fail at that IRL too sometimes. :o I don't really think y'all are making this a competition! We are pretty happy with our routine, and it's great to see y'alls descriptions of what a "day" is like. Hmmm...tracking is interesting - I started a spreadsheet for tasks/learning goals. But maybe I'll mosey on over to some other threads or google and find out about this Skedtrak.

Elly
04-14-2014, 02:11 PM
I aim for a little and often, so we don't necessarily do more than an hour on a given day. I also don't count a lot of reading time, and he's a good reader so I don't teach it (which makes life easier!), I just let him read. Honestly, we more often end up doing 4 days a week, although I try and keep to an overall schedule so then we catch up at weekends.

Elly

jenblackwell2
04-14-2014, 02:27 PM
I plan 4 days a week, my oldest is five so things are pretty loose. Which days we get our "table" work done varies. Sometimes it is Saturday or Sunday if that is when we are home. Today we finished last weeks lessons... We had some awesome weather last week so we spent more time exploring and playing outside. All learning. A week ago Sunday we went to Henry Ford Museum, to learn more about steam engines and Louis Bleriot, we went on Sunday so daddy could go, totally a "school" day, but it was also a family day and super fun. Days like that is why homeschooling rocks!

I'm sure as we grow we will grow into more time each day, I'm just glad right now we can devote so much time to play and exploration.

BASHHomeschool
04-14-2014, 04:38 PM
We learn everyday. It doesn't have to be"formal" homeschool to count. But we do at least 3 days of more formal learning per week typically and often more. We homeschool year round too so I never feel too bad about a skip day

ejsmom
04-14-2014, 05:30 PM
Like most of you say it gets fuzzy more and more all the time. We find that almost every day holds learning experiences that can "count". Legally, we have to do 180 days (or 900 hours) of school per year. Just living life with my curious kid we can accumulate 900 hours fast! And while I do "count" a day when we watch Cosmos on a Sunday evening, or go to a museum or nature park on a Saturday, I try to schedule 3-5 days of book type work (especially math and English most days), during the week. Usually, we have one day a week with our co-op group, and by the time we get home, we are both not up for sitting down with a math book, and so usually co-op day isn't a bookwork day. But he sits in a class with a teacher other than me, so it certainly counts.

As far as being at home doing work with whatever curriculum we are using, that generally happens 3-4 days a week, and takes about 1.5-3 hours. We do more days of that in bad weather, less when it's nice enough to be outdoors. I do have a kid who reads constantly, and loves non-fiction, so even left to his own devices he learns plenty. Today was a typical day. He did a lesson about WWI (45 minutes), Math (30 minutes), English: Grammar & Character Analysis (30 minutes), German (20 minutes), Handwriting (10 minutes). We were finished by 12:30, ran to a pet store for him to check something out, and now he's spending the afternoon outdoors doing other exploratory activities - working in his garden, bird watching, collecting and studying bugs, reading, playing with other kids.

zcat
04-14-2014, 06:48 PM
This is our first year and I laughably thought we would HS 6 days/week.

We now HS 4 days and on a rare week, it may only be 3 if something comes up. Though my kids are young - 6,5, 4 & 4. My oldest goes to an all day nature school, so I suppose she is getting 5 days of active learning.

How many days do you homeschool?

My dd is 14 years old. We try for 5 days a week. We take random days off and go year round though so it varies.
The amount of time spent on each of these "homeschool days" varies too. One day we may get 2 things done and another day we may do 6 things. It never exceeds 3 hours though.

I think for kids 6 years and under any amount you do is probably fine. Seriously. You are doing awesome. Enjoy your time together. :)

Jen Law
04-14-2014, 08:16 PM
All and none. The reason we home educate is is that we want to avoid what I feel is a false distinction between "learning" and "living". We don't spend any days schooling (home or otherwise) but we are learning every single day.

Snoopygirl25
04-16-2014, 10:14 PM
We HS 5 days a week. We mixed things up because we couldn't do all the subjects in one day so I scheduled handwriting on MWF & do Latin on TT.

lansry
04-20-2014, 12:41 PM
All in all, ours is 6 days a week. HS Mondays thru Fridays, then ds goes to Japanese school with Math class and Soccer Activity on Saturdays.

Anna18
04-21-2014, 05:34 AM
Five days officially, but then homeschooling is such a thing that you can't say at any one particular time that no, I am not homeschooling at this moment. So it's like this: 5 days a week we follow a set routine at home, with mornings devoted to so-called 'proper' studying, and weekends are spent doing the usual fun activities (which, by the way, I do consider to be a part of my homeschooling curriculum as well!). So it all depends on how you choose to look at it.

ErikaRN
12-03-2014, 08:14 PM
We are doing book work 7 days a week. However, 2 or 3 days a week we only do math and reading