PDA

View Full Version : Book list for "Geeks"

Epiphany
04-10-2014, 01:09 PM
Ran across this today and thought that I would share. We have read some of these. Some I have never heard of. Some seem sort of random. But I thought it was kind of interesting.
67 Books Every Geek Should Read to Their Kids Before Age 10 | GeekDad | Wired.com (http://archive.wired.com/geekdad/2013/03/67-books-every-geek-should-read-to-their-kids-before-age-10/#slideid-170361)

freerangedad
04-10-2014, 01:34 PM
Fun list. We enjoyed Clifford The Big Red Dog, but to put in must reads. Hmm

Should we add a few to the list? I'll start with The Man who planted Trees by Jean Giono

farrarwilliams
04-10-2014, 04:47 PM
Okay, I always get in the worst trouble online with book lists, so if me saying something negative about this one offends anyone, please don't read.

A few of these were dead on. A Wrinkle in Time, the Arabel's Raven books, Mad Scientist's Club, Bluebear... there were some good obscure ones and some good mainstream ones that were clearly right - Harry Potter, for example and the Neil Gaiman picks. So many good ones listed here.

But... there were a number on there I did not get at all. Some are perfectly serviceable books... Clifford or Arthur or Amelia Bedelia or Curious George or whatever... but geek musts? No way. They're just regular kids books. They're not especially geeky. They're very mainstream. Every kid reads them. What about the geek agenda of passion for the obscure and details and love for science do they promote? I don't get it. If I was going to put a geek picture book list out, I'd include things like Oh No! and The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish.

And some are series that I think are fine - they're popular now and all, like those Angie Sage books or Junie B. (okay, maybe I don't think Junie B. is fine, but the others...) or the Toys Go Out series or Wimpy Kid... but are they geek musts? Good grief, no. They're all decent choices for light reading, but some of them aren't even geeky. What's geeky about Junie B??? Surely if you had to pick a chapter book series that was geeky, MTH would be more geeky (Jack is clearly a huge buddy history geek), or Time Warp Trio, or Moongobble, or Spiderwick or Droon! Not that those should necessarily be on there either, just that... Junie B??? At that age, it's whatever gets their fluency up, of course, but must we honor the dreg books by enshrining them on lists? Those books are going to come and go. They're like the Sweet Valley High of kindergarten. In another generation, no one will even remember them because they'll have been displaced and they'll be nothing but nostalgia.

The whole thing was just clearly, these are the books *we* read. Which, okay, great, that's a list I can respect. The 67 books my kids and I loved. But this...? Dubious. Also, where are the graphic novels?

Epiphany
04-10-2014, 06:45 PM
That's kind of what I meant by it being sort of random.