PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article about the creationism museum

dbmamaz
08-19-2010, 01:09 PM
This article is mostly about a woman who is doing research in to how the museum makes people feel - most noteably, her grad students, many of whom had grown up in fundementalist families and had left the faith:

"students felt they might accidentally reveal themselves as nonbelievers and be asked to leave. This pressure is a form of "compulsory Christianity" that is common in a region known for its fundamentalism, Barton said. People who don't ascribe to fundamentalism often report the need to hide their thoughts for fear of being judged or snubbed. "

Should sound familiar to those of us in the south, esp. The woman who started an athiest homeschoolers group in my area refused to send personal emails rejecting non-athiests who tried to join the group, because she didnt want to be 'found out' to be an athiest.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20100819/sc_livescience/creationmuseumcreatesdiscomfortforsomevisitors;_yl t=AidfcmgVQCK6zyf.AmBVzjdv24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTRjNDNrY2 FvBGFzc2V0A2xpdmVzY2llbmNlLzIwMTAwODE5L2NyZWF0aW9u bXVzZXVtY3JlYXRlc2Rpc2NvbWZvcnRmb3Jzb21ldmlzaXRvcn MEY2NvZGUDbW9zdHBvcHVsYXIEY3BvcwM3BHBvcwM3BHNlYwN5 bl90b3Bfc3RvcmllcwRzbGsDa3ljcmVhdGlvbm11

Fiddler
08-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Ay-yi-yi. I can't read any more about that darn museum without shuddering.

Teri
08-19-2010, 03:48 PM
I felt exactly like that at the homeschool conference. LOL

pandahoneybee
08-19-2010, 06:15 PM
Teri! I know what you mean! when I visited my sister in TX I was kinda of scared!

wild_destiny
08-19-2010, 07:52 PM
You guys do know that Topsy is planning a big surprise party for us at the creationism museum, as she feels it would be an excellent place to get some "good science insights". ---TOTALLY JUST KIDDING!!! Can you imagine??!! Shuddering at the thought. Ugh! (Just kidding with you, Topsy, please don't eject me from the group, but it's been one of those days--a great day, actually, the first day of homeschool, which went pretty well, so I am in full practical joker mode. Sorry about that.)
Honestly, I can't look at that site again, as I would prefer to keep my lunch down, but the rest of you brave souls feel free to browse to your hearts content (or your indigestion, whichever comes first).

dbmamaz
08-19-2010, 08:08 PM
The link does not go to the museum, only to the article by the sociologist.

wild_destiny
08-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks for clarifying that, Cara. I should have checked it out before I typed. :)

pandahoneybee
08-20-2010, 04:27 PM
ummm you all let me know how it went OK? they might have a non-believers jail there, just saying! and I don't do well in jail;)

elkhollow
08-20-2010, 05:10 PM
We have a dinosaur adventure park similar to this in Pensacola. We were just driving around one day and had some time to kill, and my dd was heavily into dinosaurs so we stopped by. We had no idea it was a fundamentalist organization. I went in to pay for admission and they wouldn't let us walk around by ourselves. Huh? I was informed that it was necessary to be "guided" through the exhibits so we could understand them. I asked why they were so hard to understand that a guide was necessary. I mean, they're dinosaurs. I felt the hostility immediately. I think they knew I wasn't "one of them." Turns out, it's a way to indoctrinate children to the Christian worldview that dinosaurs and humans coexisted. Since the earth is approx. 6,000 years old, according to them, and there's no denying that dinosaurs once existed, they created a "museum" to prove that dinosaurs lived just a few thousand years ago. And they want to make sure you understand that. So, no walking around by yourself. You have to listen to the preaching. I walked out, but this is an extremely popular place for children to go.

wild_destiny
08-20-2010, 06:50 PM
Hmmm, Michelle, a nonbeliever's jail? I think I will pass on that. (Never been, but pretty sure that jail is not my thing either!) And, seriously, Ashley, your post scares me with the descriptions of that place. Yikes! Think I'll stay away. Far, far away.

pandahoneybee
08-20-2010, 07:00 PM
Oh yes Wild_Destiny my mom tells me about it all the time its called HELL:) found out last year that i am going there someday! (yes actual words from my dear mama!) Oh well I told her that I was going to have one HELL of a party then! hehehehe

I was thinking of making a trip to the museum with a tshirt that says something like~ ok I am not going to go there, I typed about 5 different things here but decided not to go there tonight! Just insert your own comment in its place. i am seriously laughing to myself! having another parent teacher conference;0) well I told myself that I was going to relax and finally get off the computer! so good night all!

Melissa541
08-20-2010, 09:13 PM
I felt exactly like that at the homeschool conference. LOL

Yes! It was kind of scary! When Madison picked up a "science" book at one of the booths & read the bit about dinos coexisting with human, her guffaw was loud enough to make me pull her away before we were accosted. he he he

mommykicksbutt
08-25-2010, 10:17 AM
We have a dinosaur adventure park similar to this in Pensacola. We were just driving around one day and had some time to kill, and my dd was heavily into dinosaurs so we stopped by. We had no idea it was a fundamentalist organization. I went in to pay for admission and they wouldn't let us walk around by ourselves. Huh? I was informed that it was necessary to be "guided" through the exhibits so we could understand them. I asked why they were so hard to understand that a guide was necessary. I mean, they're dinosaurs. I felt the hostility immediately. I think they knew I wasn't "one of them." Turns out, it's a way to indoctrinate children to the Christian worldview that dinosaurs and humans coexisted. Since the earth is approx. 6,000 years old, according to them, and there's no denying that dinosaurs once existed, they created a "museum" to prove that dinosaurs lived just a few thousand years ago. And they want to make sure you understand that. So, no walking around by yourself. You have to listen to the preaching. I walked out, but this is an extremely popular place for children to go.

Are you in P'cola now? We will (in all likelihood) get stationed there as our last duty station before retiring, of course we will be staying in the area. Love Pensacola, it's home to us. I had not heard of this "museum" there. When did that get built? What a sham!

mommykicksbutt
08-25-2010, 10:22 AM
The Secular Students Alliance visited Ken Ham's Creation Museum last year....

http://pandasthumb.org/archives/2009/08/300-secular-stu.html

hockeymom
08-25-2010, 11:02 AM
WOW. I watched the videos and despite my near constant laughter, I do have to say the students were super respectful of the creationist folks. I give them a big thumbs up for their attitude; I could never pull it off.

wild_destiny
08-25-2010, 11:31 AM
That was awesome, Mommykicksbutt!! Thanks for sharing! (I really loved the pic of the man "riding" the dinosaur--and the comments about that. Funny!)