PDA

View Full Version : Art/craft supplies/project based homeschoolers

sells_kate
04-07-2014, 11:06 AM
Since doing our peep diaramas, the kids have kept the craft box out and keep making their own little creations. Now the box of supplies is almost empty! Can anyone recommend some items to keep in our arts/craft box?
I'm also looking for somewhere, preferably online, to buy some craft supplies in bulk.

murphs_mom
04-07-2014, 11:18 AM
Art Supplies from Dick Blick Art Materials (http://www.dickblick.com/)

Crayons, pencils (different hard/soft), colored pencils, markers, sharpies, watercolors, tempera paints, fingerpaints, chalk, oil pastels, brushes, q-tips, erasers, rulers, triangles, t-square, calligraphy markers &/or nibs and ink, construction paper, glue sticks, Aleene's tacky glue, tape, scissors, x-acto (for mom/dad and older kids) knife, charcoal, and lots of different types of paper (watercolor, sketch, fingerpaint, etc.).

I'm sure I'll think of something else later. :P

RachelC
04-07-2014, 11:22 AM
I keep popsicle sticks (usually buy at the dollar store), stickers, toothpicks, yarn, cotton balls, string and then of course various papers, glue, stapler, tapes and writing utensils available all the time. Glitter and paint have to be asked for, so I can make sure a sheet is set out the catch the mess.

I've encouraged the kids, and shown them how to, salvage leftover pieces of construction paper if it's still usable. Then there's the 'trash': cardboard from cereal boxes and stuff, oatmeal canisters, egg cartons, tp and paper towel tubes, boxes of all sorts, tops from bottles, lengths of cool ribbon. The kids will pull things out of the recycling that they think are useful- berry containers are popular. I've created monsters in that they don't want to throw anything away- "I can use that for something!" They recently used an old remote from a VCR we no longer have for some machine.

I try not to spend too much money on supplies and like for them to, instead, find useful trash and repurpose materials. That said, the dollar store is a good place to get foam sheets, googly eyes, pipe cleaners, and just all sorts of fun bits. Aluminum foil is really fun for crafts, paper clips, oh, and I can't forget the magic of the brad! For some of these, it's nice to just add a new item from time to time to spark creativity and ideas. I think it's good to have a wide variety of materials available on a regular basis, but having EVERYTHING can be overwhelming sometimes. Introducing a new item from time to time can be really fun.

RachelC
04-07-2014, 11:30 AM
Just checked our stash to see what I was missing: tissue paper from Christmas, pantyhose, rings from old tape dispensers. Once I started collecting odds and ends for them, I see potential in all sorts of things :)

Forgot to mention paper lunch bags (buy a bag from WalMart or wherever), and every once in a while I'll forgo my reusable bags and get paper from the grocery store. You can cut those open and have large paper for painting.

Oh, and styrofoam meat trays! We haven't used them yet, but I've been collecting them. Paper plates are good, too.

My kids (and I) sometimes get ideas from the Canadian show Artzooka! The host repurposes all sorts of things.

sells_kate
04-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Wow, thanks for all these replies! There's a lot here I hadn't even thought of. I'm feeling inspired to get a little craft center going now! Where'd the 'like' button go? =)

RachelC
04-07-2014, 01:35 PM
Yeah, where is that 'Like' button? Speaking of buttons, buttons!

murphs_mom
04-07-2014, 02:01 PM
Sometimes the site hiccups and you have to refresh the page. If that doesn't work, you may have to clear the cache/cookies and try again. Mine's present so I don't think it's a universal site issue. :)