PDA

View Full Version : Homeschooling secular 9th grader

ventriloquist
04-01-2014, 08:23 AM
I have been homeschooling my 13 year old daughter for the past two years - 7th and 8th grade. I am now considering whether to put her back in school for high school or not, or a third option is an alternative public HS in our community. We have been more unschooling than homeschooling, but as a single father with a flexible schedule (I'm a ventriloquist) I feel that I still have not been able to spend sufficient time with my daughter. I would appreciate any input from secular homeschoolers of high schoolers about curriculum or anything else related to lifestyle of a high schooler at home, to help me in my decision. Thanks!

Teri
04-01-2014, 10:11 AM
What does your daughter want to do?

dbmamaz
04-01-2014, 10:14 AM
I'm afraid we dont have a very typical homeschool high schooler schedule - in large part, I think, because we are not very social. What i hear is a good portion of highschoolers are either in a coop or very active in extra-curricular passions, such as drama or sports, or they are very motivated towards college. But we just sit at home and do organized academics and not much else.

I think it is time to figure out what your daughter wants from her future and plan together what the best way is to get there. If she is self-motivated or school averse, being home might be best. Have you guys read the teenage liberation handbook?

crunchymum
04-01-2014, 10:49 AM
Hi and welcome to the boards.

I have a son in gr 10 officially although he's all over the map in terms of the level of work he does, and 3 youngers who will probably stay home for high school.

I have found one of the larger issues relates to social groups. Where we live the bulk of the secular kids go to high school. Those that don't seem to be primarily unschoolers who aren't very interested in any kind of academic activities (book club, science classes, robotics competition etc.) so putting together a group learning experience has been challenging. My son attends a Christian high school co-op with some good friends of ours and it is meeting his needs for group learning (they are doing things like drama, phys ed, art history etc) but it isn't without its challenges as he's the only secular kid in the group.

He's an introvert and has pretty low social needs and a couple of good friends so this seems to be enough.

In terms of coursework he does some online classes through our online high school, some moocs, a hands on biology class with a friend that I teach (ha!) a teen book club, an at home math program (our provincial program so he can transition into getting his grade 12 credits if he needs/wants them) and this co-op.

Happy to answer other questions if you have them.

Fairielover
04-02-2014, 01:33 PM
We're not any where near high school age yet. But I wanted to say welcome to the forums.