PDA

View Full Version : Risotto

aspiecat
03-31-2014, 10:30 AM
I like making risotto, and DH, who doesn't like rice, likes my Cheese & Onion and Chicken and Spinach risottos. DS's favourite meal since he was two years old has consistently been the latter one.

For either risotto, the foundation is the most important part:

2 c arborio rice
1 t minced garlic
1 onion, finely chopped
30 g butter
200 ml dry white wine
6 c chicken stock

Gently saute the garlic and onion in the butter until the onion starts to go clear, then add the rice. Stir until the rice now starts to go clear, and add the wine, stirring gently until all absorbed by the rice. Pour in the stock cup by cup, ensuring most of the liquid has been absorbed each time.

For the Cheese & Onion Risotto...

After most of the liquid has been absorbed by the last cup of stock, add the whites of three green onions, chopped, and as much cheese as you prefer (I put in 3/4 c of mild cheddar and a bit of parmesan). Add the greens of the onions and give a couple of stirs JUST PRIOR TO SERVING.

For the Chicken & Spinach Risotto...

Before anything else, saute 500 g chicken breast that is cut into bite-sized pieces in the garlic and oil, adding 1 t more garlic. When the meat is cooked through, and lightly browned, set aside with a tin foil cover. Then, in the same pan, cook the onion in the butter and continue the recipe until the last cup of stock has been mostly absorbed. Now add the chicken and 5 handfuls of baby spinach (destemmed). Gently stir in, and serve. **Important - sprinkle some lime zest on each person's bowl of risotto, or have a small saucer of the zest on the table**

You must stay at the stove while a risotto is cooking, stirring, and never allow the risotto to go dry at any point. Ensuring it stays moist is very important.

farrarwilliams
03-31-2014, 10:44 AM
Yum. That looks delish.

JenRay
03-31-2014, 12:04 PM
I have a recipe for risotto made in the oven, that is awesome, and so easy because it doesn't require standing by the stove. I'll have to try some of theses add-ins though! yummy!

MrsLOLcat
03-31-2014, 03:58 PM
I hate you a little. I'm on a diet that includes minimal carbs, and you post THIS. :;):

aspiecat
04-02-2014, 06:25 PM
I hate you a little. I'm on a diet that includes minimal carbs, and you post THIS. :;):

Oopsie...:o

aspiecat
04-02-2014, 06:25 PM
I have a recipe for risotto made in the oven, that is awesome, and so easy because it doesn't require standing by the stove. I'll have to try some of theses add-ins though! yummy!

Can you post your oven-baked risotto recipe here? Sounds interesting...

RachelC
04-02-2014, 06:38 PM
Yum, I love risotto. I think I will be making it this weekend now, and adding spinach; thanks!

If you've never made it before and are wary about investing in expensive arborio, you can make it with sweet rice, usually found in the Asian section of the supermarket. It is also a small, round grain and substitutes perfectly.

JenRay
04-02-2014, 07:37 PM
Can you post your oven-baked risotto recipe here? Sounds interesting...

Here it is: Dabbling In The Delicious: Forget the Stove Risotto (http://dabblinginthedelicious.blogspot.com/2011/01/forget-stove-risotto.html)

BerthaCardone
08-21-2014, 02:45 AM
I like risotto it is a versatile Italian dish. I like Barley, chicken & mushroom risotto and Baked haddock & cabbage risotto. You can make risotto with various ways, mix vegetables, meat or fish, whatever you want with Italian rice and cook it to a creamy consistency.

dbmamaz
08-21-2014, 11:42 AM
My mom made risotto while we were at her house - my teen liked it ok, i was 'eh' and the 10 yo wouldnt touch it