PDA

View Full Version : Organizing lesson plans online

crunchymum
03-30-2014, 10:32 PM
So I don't know if this exists but I am not that tech savvy.
I would like to have an online program/way to plan lessons.

I have pinterest boards by topic, unit studies, book club novels etc and they are one of the best ways for me to organize. But I would really like to be able to add notes and change the order of pins or regroup them.

So for example I am doing a math lab component each week with my kids. This week we are doing Fibonacci. I have collected some pins in my general math category. I would like to be able to sort those out, group them into day 1, day 2, day 3 pins, add notes about which order to do the videos and activities, note what needs printing/prep work, what works with the books I have from the library, what points to draw in from other books I have read etc.

Anyone have any sugestions?
tia

dbmamaz
03-31-2014, 07:38 PM
Why do you want it on line? I planned out our history lessons on an excel spreadsheet, and posted what we were doing that day to cozi so i could access it from my ipad

VickieB
03-31-2014, 07:38 PM
I am actually using an online planner, Homeschool Planet through the Homeschool Buyers Co-op, for our lesson plans. My boys are real computer geeks and they like that they can go in and check off assignments as they do them. I like that I can push everything around or move assignments easily if something needs more help or they are really enjoying the topic.

ejsmom
03-31-2014, 11:42 PM
I used Homeschool Skedtrack last year. It kept me organized and on the schedule I wanted (we had a VERY busy year with vision therapy and co-ops). I liked that I could print stuff out for dh if he was taking over a lesson or the day. I could customize it to include websites, field trips, appointments, and it even had the capacity to do way more than I needed!

I didn't use it his year, for my own sanity. I found I just dreaded inputting all the stuff. I felt so "data-entry" office worker drone doing it, that I just quit after the first week. I decided to just wing it and see how that went this year. And... now we're behind where I wanted us to be. My kid is fine, he's doing and learning plenty, just as much as any other year. He may actually be enjoying it more, because I'm way more open to following his rabbit trails or saying "it's too nice a day to be indoors - let's get out to the woods, lake, zoo, etc."

I was much more relaxed about "school" this year and I have to admit I did feel my life/home felt a bit more together as I sort of fit our schooling into and around life more. Before when I had a week or month all planned out I would find myself getting a bit nuts about staying on track with what I had planned - type A completion complex, I guess. This year, I've been able to go with "hey cool, let's look that up - this IS why we homeschool after all."

I just haven't found a way to plan that works for me and that I don't hate doing. I've been experimenting with index cards with general lesson ideas by subject, so I don't have to keep rewriting or retyping stuff - just move the card to a different day, or pull from a day or two ahead of we get on a roll, or grab a blank card and write a brief synopsis of what we did "instead" when we followed a rabbit trail of my planned course. Not sure if that is going to work for me or not.

I do use Pinterest a lot as a "file" for ideas and weblinks by subject, but not for planning lessons themselves.

crunchymum
04-01-2014, 09:32 AM
Why do you want it on line? I planned out our history lessons on an excel spreadsheet, and posted what we were doing that day to cozi so i could access it from my ipad

I use mostly resources online for planning things like our math lab, our supplemental activities for science, lesson plans for book/writing club etc. What I really want is Pinterest with an integrated note and calendar function and flexibility to re-order the pins.

For me, spreadsheets are for numbers. I don't think in a linear way for planning and often am pinning stuff for future use without a fully formed plan when I come across it. Word docs etc aren't flexible or visual enough for me, and don't link seamlessly to the bulk of the content I am using. I don't need differentiate columns for different kids or grades etc so I haven't looked at any homeschool planning programs but maybe I will do a bit of investigating there.

Thanks!

lakshmi
04-01-2014, 03:47 PM
lol about data entry mom!!

I use skedtrack. I enter all the activities in batches, I find it to be good to familiarize myself with what is coming up. BUT, I suppose I could use a spreadsheet, but I rarely use those programs, I found https://homeschool.mardel.com/ A simple Plan .. I don't want to use all of it. BUT, the 9 week planner was sort of nice. (easily reproduced on a spreadsheet)

I have trouble planning ahead without being able to see it.

I liked the 9 week planner because it forced me to see how quickly items come up. I am feeling as if I am not making sense. <shuts-up>

groovymom2000
04-02-2014, 07:58 AM
What I really want is Pinterest with an integrated note and calendar function and flexibility to re-order the pins.

For me, spreadsheets are for numbers. I don't think in a linear way for planning and often am pinning stuff for future use without a fully formed plan when I come across it. Word docs etc aren't flexible or visual enough for me, and don't link seamlessly to the bulk of the content I am using. I don't need differentiate columns for different kids or grades etc so I haven't looked at any homeschool planning programs but maybe I will do a bit of investigating there.

Thanks!

Now that sounds wonderful, and I'll take one of those as well! I use scholaric for tracking days and writing out my plans, as it has the ability to bump and move things around--if we could add that in there I'd be thrilled. I'm not really sure anything is out there like that--evernote might come close. Sounds like you need someone to develop it for you! I love pinterest too, but I am getting frustrated that in order to find things I need to create a million little boards--like math, science , etc. I have a TON of pins, and it's starting to get unwieldy. Hmm...maybe that will be a summer project for my computer kid.

ejsmom
04-11-2014, 12:04 AM
Yeah, groovymom, I have a large number of Pinterest boards for homeschooling, by subject. I have to find a way to use those resources when I plan. Someone computer savvy needs to create this dream planning thing we all wish for!

justabout
04-13-2014, 06:13 AM
We are using Home School, Inc. I showed Homeschool Skedtrack to my son but he preferred this one. He likes being able to tick off assignments and I like being able to write him messages about it all.

panama10
04-13-2014, 08:53 AM
Have you seen this website? Organize your resources in an online binder - LiveBinders (http://www.livebinders.com/welcome/home)

I haven't used it. I bookmarked it but haven't gotten around to see how it works. If you search for homeschool you can see some binders people have made public. That may give you an idea if this can work for what you want.

Jessica
04-13-2014, 02:30 PM
Educlipper (https://educlipper.net) is like Pinterest for teachers and does let you add notes.

Rainefox
04-13-2014, 09:38 PM
I have been playing around with free private websites. You can make a free private website through google sites.

Then, you can link google drive documents and all kinds of stuff to the pages on the website for planning. What I've been doing is making a page for each subject and adding links, plans, ect to it. I can plan as much as I want to plan, which means for some subjects I'm planning next week and other subjects I'm planning for next year. I can plan with spreadsheets (which I don't really like to do) or with documents or whatever.

Then I make a 'form' in google drive for each kid that I can use to put in information on what we are actually doing in that subject, to record stuff and it is automatically tied to a google spreadsheet for recordkeeping purposes. I can link to the spreadsheets to check out what we did (I don't like to plan with spreadsheets, just record). I need to do that rather than check off planned lessons because we seem to wander around a lot here. More organized people could just not bother with that last step....lol.

I can link to all of that in the google website I made. Sounds complicated, but it's very easy to do and most importantly it's flexible. I can plan and then record (I live in one of those awful states that want a log).

I'm babbling, because I"m tired. If anyone thinks this is interesting you can email me through my website in my siggy and I can reply more coherently when I've had some sleep.

crunchymum
04-13-2014, 10:20 PM
LOL Rainefox - perhaps you missed the part where I said I am not tech savvy. You lost me at the part where you said google sites etc etc. :)
It sounds awesome but I am hoping for a plug and play version.

MNDad
04-13-2014, 10:27 PM
I suspect that we're really talking about two different genres of software with the potential for some overlap. There's the logistical, assignment, work-tracking, time-keeping software. Then there's the software that helps organize supporting materials.

With regard to the latter, there's the choice between storing the data on your computer locally vs. in the "cloud." I have a bias for keeping everything locally, sharing it on our home network or via Dropbox. Proprietary web apps have a tendency to go away, get bought out, or otherwise make it difficult to transition to other systems should they not work out.

I store and organize all of our HS materials in a DEVONthink database. It's Mac OS X only. There may be something like it in the Windows world; but I have no idea. DEVONthink is hard to describe. All kinds of items - text, images, video, spreadsheets, bookmarks, etc. can be stored, grouped, tagged, cross-linked, classified, etc. You can create wiki-like references between entities in a database. You can have separate databases if you're a splitter vs. a lumper. I especially like it's ability to apply hierarchical tags to entities in its database. You can set it up to use Dropbox as a local sync store so that multiple Macs can have the sam synchronized data. Again, hard to describe its utility; but I've used it for over 10 years.

(Nondisclosure: I have no commercial interest in the software; just like it and use it daily.)

justabout
04-14-2014, 01:11 AM
It sounds cool. I like what someone said up the page, that we needed something which could plan/record but also organise resources.
What I find with HomeSchool Inc is that it is OK but so clunky, I overscheduled - this next term I am simply creating four daily blocks, with loose learning areas to keep me on track, and filling them in one at a time. I don't yet have the homeschool experience to know what we need to do weekly, what daily etc. So I need a more flexible system than I have at the moment but it's working halfway well.