PDA

View Full Version : Annoying social media dots

farrarwilliams
03-29-2014, 01:57 PM
So I get why the site needs the social media links. The ones on the left hand side that are square pop up when you pause scrolling and aren't really obtrusive yet are very noticeable. Great. But the ones on the right that are shaped like circles pop up across the window, obscuring things I want to see, like, say, the text of the post I'm reading or the smiley I'd like to click or even the place where I'm typing. And if I scroll, they move, sometimes covering something else up. They're just annoying. Are they definitely there to stay? What if they popped up in the margin space the way the ones on the left do?

ksb427
03-29-2014, 01:59 PM
What she said. I don't think there is a need for two sets of social media icons.

farrarwilliams
03-29-2014, 02:03 PM
I think they do different things? I know you can hit "hide" on them, but unlike the big ad banner, they don't stay hidden. When I navigate away, they're back again. :(

ksb427
03-29-2014, 02:59 PM
I think they do different things? I know you can hit "hide" on them, but unlike the big ad banner, they don't stay hidden. When I navigate away, they're back again. :(

See, I didn't even notice that. One set is for sharing content and the other is for following SHS on their social media sites. I just try to ignore the circles or automatically hide them... which kind of defeats their purpose.

BarbaraH
03-29-2014, 03:42 PM
Yes, I'm having the same problem. I'm using Firefox and I'm having trouble with the ones on the right of the screen. I typically click on "recent forum posts" and I'm having to do a lot of scrolling up and down to try to get the posts to be clickable.

alegre
03-29-2014, 05:33 PM
I find them annoying, too. Just too...prominent, i suppose.

Riceball_Mommy
03-29-2014, 05:46 PM
I'm fine with the bar of social media stuff on the left, it stays over in the green space on the side, and I only just noticed I can hide it but it doesn't bother me. The dots though come in and out on their own and covers part of the posts. It makes it hard to read through, because even if I hide it it will come back when I scroll.

BakedAk
03-29-2014, 09:08 PM
Hate them. (not fond of the 10 character rule, either. :) )

ikslo
03-29-2014, 09:39 PM
Agree with all. The stationary ones to the left are fine. The ones that move and reload and all that at the top right are beyond annoying.

But I also hate scrolling all the way back up to the top of the page to hit New Posts every time. I would prefer if that whole top section of the page (green area) just stayed in place and the scroll was for everything else. Then, no matter where I am in the thread, all of the options are available. Of course, that may not work so well for use on the smaller screens. Either way, they need to do something about the follow buttons.

Topsy
03-30-2014, 08:32 AM
Great feedback, everyone...we'll see what we can do to make them less of a distraction.

quabbin
03-30-2014, 08:45 AM
I'm not having problems on the left or right, but the grey bar at the bottom comes up every time I load a new page, and on a little netbook screen, needs to be clicked out of the way every time. It would be great if it would stay minimized.

farrarwilliams
04-06-2014, 08:51 PM
I think I hate those effing dots more every time. It's the way they come in and out at unexpected times. They're worse than a Facebook update, you guys.

I might need to stop reading on my computer and just read on the iPad where they don't exist. Has anyone found a way to get rid of them? Anything that either affixes them permanently or removes them permanently? I tried embiggening the right hand ad bar so at least they wouldn't cover up the posts I'm reading, but I still find them obnoxious the way they move in and out. I'm just constantly bracing myself for them to return to the page.

farrarwilliams
04-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Okay, I know I sound nuts, but new solution: Post-Its over the spot where they usually are (they occasionally move, but only sometimes). I honestly feel calmer already.

Fairielover
04-06-2014, 10:24 PM
I couldn't agree more. Those dots drive me nuts. I mean they are on the left side of the screen all the time. Why do they have to pop up on the right side too.

Penguin
04-07-2014, 12:25 AM
So I'm sure this won't help everybody, but I have blocked them using AdBlock in Chrome. If you're using Chrome and have AdBlock installed, just right-click on them or just to the left of them when they appear, and choose AdBlock > Block this ad. Then move the slider til the dots disappear and click Block It.

Seems to be working.

farrarwilliams
04-07-2014, 10:46 AM
So I'm sure this won't help everybody, but I have blocked them using AdBlock in Chrome. If you're using Chrome and have AdBlock installed, just right-click on them or just to the left of them when they appear, and choose AdBlock > Block this ad. Then move the slider til the dots disappear and click Block It.

Seems to be working.

Nm. I seem to have gotten it. HOORAY!

Topsy
04-07-2014, 11:15 AM
Looks like our webmaster will be able to get to this issue as early as today. Sorry again for the inconvenience, everyone.

BakedAk
04-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Thanks, Topsy!

VickieB
04-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Looks like the dots are gone?!

Topsy
04-07-2014, 07:37 PM
I think Michael has removed them completely for now until we can figure out a solution that doesn't compromise your site experience. Hope that helps!

farrarwilliams
04-07-2014, 08:07 PM
Yay, Topsy! Sorry if I was a pain. :)

ikslo
04-07-2014, 08:55 PM
Well, I for one am happy you were a pain - because we were all thinking it and just waiting for someone more senior to complain first!

For what it's worth, Topsy, my pages are automagically back to loading quickly again. Yeah!!!