PDA

View Full Version : DD would like to do one more activity...

Deli76
03-27-2014, 12:35 AM
I don't know if she is just getting older, but she would like to do one more activity with out me. She has Art on Mondays, Girl Scouts every other Tuesday and gymnastics on Fridays. The art class she can be left on her own. But she would like one more she can do by herself. She said it can be that or a play group.I don't want to leave her at a play group by herself either. I found an event for tweens (9-12 yr olds), but I don't want to leave her at the library. I thought about 4H but she cant be left on her own and it seems expensive. 99% of the playgroups are religious. And she didn't like the play group we attended. So I am at a bit of a loss as to what is available. I don't know if there are any San Antonians out there that may have some suggestions. My search resulted in nothing. She is a bit bored lately. Two of her friends have moved, she still gets to see them on occasion. Another friend is moving in May. There are 2 other girls on our street, they went to school together in the same class. She says she doesn't want to play with them. Sooo, I don't know what to do. I feel bad for her. I don't really want to put her back in school just to make friends. The district stinks. You all know the story...ugh!

sells_kate
03-27-2014, 07:16 AM
She might not be interested in this, but the first thing that came to mind that she can do alone is take some sort of music lessons. When I took piano they never wanted the parents hanging around.

...but my mom sat in her car in the teachers yard. Ha!

farrarwilliams
03-27-2014, 02:21 PM
Spring soccer or softball?

Earth scouts or a nature club?

Robotics or maker classes?

Community theater?

I have found that the best things for that sort of structured but also social interaction are things that are team based like Destination Imagination, Odyssey of the Mind, First or Vex Robotics, etc. Also, as mentioned above, library book club. Why can't you leave her at the library? Or if you're nervous, just leave her and go to the other part of the library and read.

dbsam
03-27-2014, 09:56 PM
My daughter is nine and enjoys drama club at a small theater.

Since your daughter likes nature, are there any nature/explorer type groups at a state or national park?