PDA

View Full Version : Khan Academy - added content for younger students

Mariam
03-23-2014, 11:53 AM
I just discovered that Khan Academy just added new content. It includes counting, place value, new videos on basic addition and subtraction, skip-counting, and basic geometry.

They titled it "Early Math." Early math | Khan Academy (http://www.khanacademy.org/math/early-math)

CrazyCatWoman
03-23-2014, 12:11 PM
Cool! I use it for my 6th and 8th grader, but wanted more structure for my 3rd grader. I will have to check it out to see what they have.

Keiran'sMom
03-23-2014, 01:37 PM
Awesome. I have been trying to figure out how to do place value with the boy. It may be worth checking into.

aspiecat
03-24-2014, 04:27 PM
Be aware that Math is the ONLY school subject they cover. I imagine they will add some of their Science and Humanities subject-matter over time, however in the meantime, we might use some of the Science and my hubby will create the test environment.

Mariam
03-24-2014, 05:11 PM
Awesome. I have been trying to figure out how to do place value with the boy. It may be worth checking into.

We have been doing the same thing. I am really happy with these additions. Their timing is perfect, as we had to slow down to work on the basic skills. The videos really work for us.

jsaffold
03-25-2014, 12:38 AM
Ya! ..My daughter really likes it.. she asked to do it all the time..she started a notebook and everything..It was really really great for me this past week as I was sick in bed and she gleefully sat and did Kahn for over an hour..Practiced adding fractions..division..geometry..etc.

CatInTheSun
03-25-2014, 02:29 AM
My younger 2 have been over the moon about it since Sat. They've already earned about 15,000 points each (in 3 days) if that tells you anything.

I will say that for the youngest (say K-2) you will want to hover a bit when they pick topics -- there is content down to counting objects 1-5 and 1-10 but it might queue up a lesson on what number is missing from the grid 1-100 FIRST. So, they don't have their progression of content down perfectly yet. ;) Some of the videos with Sal being all silly acting out stories of a queen (in falsetto) needing to figure out how many more monkeys she needs for a party, etc, are rather entertaining and my kids enjoyed.

Mariam
03-25-2014, 09:05 AM
Ya! ..My daughter really likes it.. she asked to do it all the time..she started a notebook and everything..It was really really great for me this past week as I was sick in bed and she gleefully sat and did Kahn for over an hour..Practiced adding fractions..division..geometry..etc.

DS did the same thing! We have a special notebook for KA that is separate from his other work. He decided to start taking notes from the videos and solving the problems before Sal does.

jess
03-25-2014, 08:44 PM
Oh, wonderful. DD loved KA for a brief span a few years ago, but the progression at the time was just way too fast.