PDA

View Full Version : Game Suggestions - 9yo's

dbsam
03-21-2014, 03:43 PM
I’m looking for game recommendations.
I have had these three games on my Amazon wishlist for months, but I can never decide which to order:
Ticket to Ride
Dominion
Carcassonne Basic Game

I would like to buy one or two games for the Easter baskets. Which games do you like? Suggestions for other games are appreciated too.

TIA

farrarwilliams
03-21-2014, 03:53 PM
I haven't played Dominion, but of Carcassone and Ticket to Ride, I vote Ticket to Ride. But I'm a bit of a Ticket to Ride nut.

My 9 yos also really like Ticket to Ride. But their faves of the moment are probably Say Anything (family, silly game) and Forbidden Desert (cooperative game... but really killer hard).

dbsam
03-21-2014, 03:58 PM
My 9 yos also really like Ticket to Ride. But their faves of the moment are probably Say Anything (family, silly game) and Forbidden Desert (cooperative game... but really killer hard).

My children recently started playing Forbidden Island and really like it. I didn't realize Desert was a lot more difficult. Something to think about.

I never heard of Say Anything but will look it up. They like silly; but not always. My sister's family loves Headbanz and say they laugh the entire time they play; but my kids do not like it at all.

WindSong
03-21-2014, 04:17 PM
We have both Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne. They are both great games. We tend to play Carcassonne more when all four of us want to play a game. We have several of their expansions which add more interest and strategy to the basic game. We love it. My dd just got Ticket to Ride for Xmas. We actually havn't played it that much just due to lack of time here lately. Can you get both? ;)

Other favorites are Yahtzee, Othello, and Settler's of Catan.

dbsam
03-21-2014, 04:32 PM
We have both Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne. They are both great games. We tend to play Carcassonne more when all four of us want to play a game. We have several of their expansions which add more interest and strategy to the basic game. We love it. My dd just got Ticket to Ride for Xmas. We actually havn't played it that much just due to lack of time here lately. Can you get both? ;)

Other favorites are Yahtzee, Othello, and Settler's of Catan.

I think I will get two games...one for each basket but have not been able to narrow it down to two. I also looked at Settler's of Catan but forgot about that one.

We like Yahtzee too but haven't played it in a long time. Sometimes I do not think I should buy more games, but play the ones we have more often. My kids love Stratego, Rummy, and Monopoly (I will not play Monopoly with them because they drag it on for a week loaning $$, etc.)

farrarwilliams
03-21-2014, 04:53 PM
Yeah, Forbidden Desert is significantly harder than Island. We always win Island if we all play (the kids have lost just them though). We keep getting beaten by Desert at the last minute. It's both frustrating and pulls us back in.

Say Anything is a bit like Apples to Apples in that you can argue for your answers. But less subjective and more creative. It's not as silly as Headbandz.

dbsam
03-21-2014, 05:03 PM
Yes, I was a little disappointed that we usually win Island but I was worried Desert might be too difficult.

So...I still have a tough decision narrowing it down to two.

Keiran'sMom
03-21-2014, 06:06 PM
We like Jenga, Uno, and Lord of the Rings Monopoly. We really don't play a lot of board games as such, the boy likes very hands on type games that don't require to much thinking. He likes Sorry, Connect 4...stuff like that.

farrarwilliams
03-21-2014, 06:25 PM
If they're playing mostly by themselves, I'd say Forbidden Desert is too hard. But with an adult in the mix, the collective intelligence of the group moves up pretty far, you know? And yet the kids still contribute a great deal. I'm really impressed by the game design. But we've been Gamewright nuts for awhile. I'm just glad to have one last generation of Gamewright games to play since we're aging out of so much of their stuff. Also, it's significantly cheaper than your other options. Ticket to Ride is soooo expensive.

dbsam
03-21-2014, 07:17 PM
Thank you - So many great suggestions!

I'm afraid a Star Trek game would be lost on us.

We have an old marbles game my grandpa made and an old Parcheesi game; they are similar to Sorry. I think I will pull one of those out tonight.

We like Gamewright games too. We still have Feed the Kitty! I guess I should put some of them in the donate box.

I think I will get Forbidden Desert because it is less expensive and they like Forbidden Island so much. (They play some games alone but really like to play with us.)

I just need to decide on the other game. I considered Wildcraft for Xmas but wasn't sure about it. I'm glad to hear your positive review. We like cooperative board games.

I had never heard of Architecto products - they look good too. My kids like Lonpos and 3D pentaminos so they will like these too.

banjobaby
03-25-2014, 09:08 AM
As an adult, I like Dominion much better than Ticket to Ride, but for kids, I think Ticket to Ride is more appropriate. Dominion is a much meaner game. Lost Cities, Gobblet, Fluxxx, and Bananagrams are all in heavy rotation around here that I think would be good for that age. They also play a lot of Hoot Owl Hoot, Wildcraft, and Catan Jr, but I think those all may be a bit young for 9 year olds.