PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

happykid25
08-16-2010, 09:23 PM
Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking around the boards for a month or so and decided to finally join in.

I'm sort of new to homeschooling. I say that, as my DS is four and hasn't had any official "schooling" as of yet, but I feel like I've been teaching him his entire life. The boy is full of questions - good ones too! Anyway, this year I'm going to begin homeschool "lite," working on teaching DS to read and then some other basics (calendar, time, money, etc.) and maybe some Five in a Row unit studies here and there. Plus, I'll add in what ever else grabs our attention along the way (library books are often brought home in bulk on specific topics, right now DS has spider, dragonfly & ant books home.)

This is my test year. See how it goes and then go from there. Plus there will be a new baby in the mix - due in Nov - so not pressuring myself too much for DS "preschool" year.

I've been considering homeschooling DS for a long time now and have really started to research styles and curriculum over the past 6 months. I get a little overwhelmed by it all, but keep reminding myself DS is 4 and is not required to be "in school" for another year. So I have to stop looking at posts about upper elementary & middle school and what those kids are doing.

Finally, just wanted to add that I'm in central VA, near Charlottesville. So anyone else out there with insite into homeschooling in the area, I'd love to hear from you!

~ Dannielle

Shoe
08-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Welcome to the site, Danielle. I'm sure you'll find a lot of great support and information here-it's a great place to be full of friendly people. Check out the "Groups"page for the VA group for more local support.

Cheers.

Topsy
08-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Welcome, Danielle! It is great to have you come out of lurking! ;) I'm so glad you are taking your time with things...that is so important with preschoolers. Pushing too much or researching TOO much is the quickest way toward homeschool burnout. So much can change from year to year...so that is the way we have always approached homeschooling...on a year-by-year basis. (although it is now ten years in the making! ;) )

I hope the site will continue to be a source of info and support for you as you head into the adventure. Best of luck with everything!!

StartingOver
08-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Welcome, Danielle! I am glad you came out of lurking, we really aren't that scary are we ?? LOL I have little ones also. And know that with one on the way, take it easy. Don't stress taking time with a little one in the house. You have tons of time. When Emma was born all we did was read for about 6 months. Every time I sat down to nurse my son would bring me a book. After that I would set Emma in her high chair with toys that were only for "school" time, while Quince did some table work.

Now my daughter is dragging books to me constantly too. We literally spend hours a day reading. I was amazed yesterday when my little girl counted to 20 while playing hide n go seek with her brother. I haven't taught her anything about numbers yet. Evidently I have a mini ( 4 year old ) teacher in my house, trying to take over my job, and doing very well I might add. ;-)

As you start teaching your son you will learn more about what works best for him, then you can settle into a method. No hurry at this stage.

wild_destiny
08-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Hi, Dannielle, and welcome to this fun and insightful group! As Jana has pointed out, we are not scary--usually! Good luck with your pregnancy (ugh, I remember those days--hopefully yours are better!). Just think of all the things your new one will absorb from all the teaching you do with your son, or even directly at the hands of your son, like Jana's children have done. What a fun (and, at times, demanding) road you are embarking upon. Wishing you all the best! :)

hockeymom
08-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Welcome Dannielle! Glad you decided to introduce yourself! There are others here with kids your son's age and they should be able to offer plenty of support. This is an amazing resource with fabulous folks--I hope you visit often! :)

Sarbare0704
08-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Welcome to the group! Glad you joined us! Sounds like you have a busy year ahead but also a fun one with your inquisitive little one!

schwartzkari
08-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Welcome to the group!
I had so much fun teaching preschool to my daughter. We took things nice and slow and did alot of art projects. She's in 1st grade now and we are still enjoying our time together. My son will be 2 in December and I'm going to introduce preschool to him then, I'm excited to get to share it with him too :)

I absolutely love and adore this homeschooling group. I hope you do too!

InstinctiveMom
08-18-2010, 12:46 AM
Hi Danielle - Welcome!
You're right, you have been teaching him all his life. That gives you a unique perspective on how to help him learn academics as well. ;) I agree with what Jana said, too - take it s-l-o-w. There really is no rush. Even with older kiddos (mine are 7 & 8), there is still plenty of time.
Warmly,
~h

pandahoneybee
08-18-2010, 08:22 AM
Welcome, Danielle! I think that you are very smart starting so young! I know that we all do the helping your preschoolers learn thru play. But I wish I had made the realization that I would one day be homeschooling my boys, I am sure that you will have many fun and hilarious adventures to share with us! (please do, share!)

Riceball_Mommy
08-18-2010, 10:52 AM
My daughter is 4 about to turn 5 in a few weeks. Last year we did a test year for Pre-K, I even used a boxed curriculum. We both really enjoyed it my daughter loved the curriculum too, we started school early this year because my daughter kept asking to do school. I've definitely learned to take it easy though and not push too hard. We also have a mountain of library books always sitting around to be read, not mention the books we already have at home.

dbmamaz
08-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Hey, I'm in Richmond here (far west end) - check out http://vahomeschoolers.org/ for the inclusive state organization. I'm pretty sure there are homeschooling groups around C'ville, but I havent checked out any in particular. There's also a VA eclectic yahoo group, and a va_homeschool_athiests yahoo group. Enjoy!

happykid25
08-28-2010, 12:33 AM
Hey, I'm in Richmond here (far west end) - check out http://vahomeschoolers.org/ for the inclusive state organization. I'm pretty sure there are homeschooling groups around C'ville, but I havent checked out any in particular. There's also a VA eclectic yahoo group, and a va_homeschool_athiests yahoo group. Enjoy!

Thanks for the website.

I think I might have been on it before, but I was just looking around and found the "Notice of Intent Page." I've read the VA laws before, but this gives more of the how to in laymans terms, which is nice. My son is still four (turns five in Dec), so I don't have to worry about it till next summer, but I like to be prepared and have the knowledge way in advance.

And we visit the West End, oh maybe once a month or so. Usually to go miniture golfing and to go to the Short Pump mall. Plus my husband has to work over there occassionally. We also really enjoy going to the Please Touch Museum. My son can spend hours there. We're going to check out the Lewis-Ginter Garden soon and the Science Center is on our list of to-dos this fall (hopefully - baby is due mid Nov, so ???)

dbmamaz
08-30-2010, 03:27 PM
BTW, the Richmond Children's Museum opened up a satelite location right behind Whole Foods (i mean, if the front door is the front, its behind the back wall?). My kids are really too big. I had been trying to start up a park day fridays at Deep Run park near me, but I couldnt get anyone to come on a regular basis - even my cofounder!

happykid25
08-31-2010, 03:42 PM
We were over at the new location once this summer. It's okay, but I "hate" that they have that giant train taking up all that room. It's a waste of space and makes it so loud in there (it would be loud as is with just the kids.)

We went to the Lewis-Ginter Gardens yesterday for the first time. DS loved it. When we first went in he was amazed at all the butterflies & flowers. We actually spent a ton of time in the children's craft area. The most my son has been crafty in a long time. I figured I'd let him explore and do his thing. He was very busy.

I got a membership so that we can return throughout the year and see the gardens during the different seasons.