PDA

View Full Version : LM Montgomery

Solong
03-11-2014, 01:09 AM
I've been reading the Selected Journals of LM Montgomery. Age 14-60ish.

I love and hate these three volumes. Her novels, short stories and poems were my favourites as a child. I'm not sure why it took me so long to get around to her journals, but in many ways I could have postponed the truth even longer.

She's an unusually frank writer, both about herself and others... so, there are many relatable moments and characters. Fans will recognize the autobiographical influence in her stories. She was highly gifted and struggled with depression from her mid-20s on. I'm up to the point where we are the same age, and I find myself squirming in self-conscious discomfort at times.

If you are a fan of Maud's work, they are an excellent, if somewhat depressing, read.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
03-11-2014, 08:17 AM
Very interesting--I didn't know her journals were published.

I just read Girl of the Limberlost for the first time and was struck by the similarity between Anne and Elnora--both academic achievers and unconventional beauties who start as outsiders. AOGG was published in 1908 and GOTL was published in 1909.

Avalon
03-11-2014, 10:41 AM
I flipped through them at the gift shop when we visited Green Gables in PEI a couple of years ago. The few anecdotes I read seemed hilarious, but I never got around to reading the whole book. I should put them on my list. Thanks for the reminder!

Solong
04-11-2014, 06:00 AM
Finished them all. I'm surprised by how hard it was to read some of these entries. It got to the point where I was procrastinating reading. Damn, but she really was gifted. I didn't know how it all ended for Maud, how did I never know? I'm lying here, feeling like the long-view is over-rated, and I wish I was more of an 'in the moment' gal. Also, I'm left feeling that I mightn't have liked Maud. Admired, yes... loved, likely... liked, no. For sure, she wouldn't have liked me. She found tragedy endearing, and I'm not tragic.