PDA

View Full Version : Changing Style-Input appreciated

jstewart
03-05-2014, 04:25 PM
Hi Everyone,

I've been homeschooling my kids for 2 years now. We've been using the Calvert Curriculum, which is great, but maybe a bit too much like traditional school. My son has been doing great with it. He's the kid that wakes up in the morning and has half his schoolwork done before I get out of bed. My daughter has been struggling. She's doing great learning but doesn't have that zeal for learning that I want her to have. To her it's a chore and that tells me, it's not working.
I've been thinking a more laid back approach would be better. Let her take the wheel. However, I'm not sure how to go about that! I also think it would be great for my son to have a little less structure and busywork. I'd like to see him more engaged in thinking than completing.
I've enjoyed having the lesson plans all laid out, and mailing in the completed end of year report card to the state. Not having that scares me a bit, but I'm willing to suck it up.
What do you do? Do you follow a curriculum? Literature based leaning (which I think sounds really cool but seems a little antiquated and religious)? Unschooling (which also appeals to me)?
Your experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jen

kidsx2
03-05-2014, 05:40 PM
We use Moving Beyond the Page. I started the homeschool journey with a plan to use a Classical approach (they had that at school). It was a disaster in a home setting. MBtP has structure, but not worksheet busywork. My kids don't "love" it, but I don't think they will "love" anything that I require them to do. In candid conversations with my daughter (age 10, using the 9-11 level), she informed me that she thinks the books are very good and she is learning a lot. I don't make them do all of the activities.

crunchymum
03-05-2014, 05:48 PM
How old are you kids Jen?

We use an eclectic approach. When the kids were younger there was a lot of out of the house learning opportunities. Since we moved and as the kids have gotten older, we have shifted to a somewhat more structured approach.

In terms of curriculum we pull from lots of sources and don't follow a package or any one philosophy.

I like the idea of mostly free learning when the kids are younger. For all my kids I have noticed a shift around the age of 10 or 11, a willingness to settle into more structured learning. Our philosophy was always that the kids were responsible for the content of their learning and their skills sets were parented directed. As they get older there is more content I want them to have in their knowledge base and so we are directing more of that as well.

I think it is a great idea to move with your kids needs. I don't know anything about Calvert but I think if you think there is too much busy work and you can free that time up for deeper learning I would say go for it.