PDA

View Full Version : opportunity for kids to review books

murphs_mom
02-26-2014, 06:55 PM
DD has been doing book reviews for SFBR for the last few years, and they're getting ready to launch a separate Kids' Book Review (KBR) this month. Additionally, Children's Book Week is in May and they do a mega issue for that. They are looking for more kid reviewers. If your child loves to read and write/dictate an opinion, it's a really good way to expand one's library.

The following was pilfered from their site for those who want a little more info. If you want a lot more information, you can follow the link below to access Heidi's email or the link to the form to apply:

If you have a child or children between the ages of 5 and 17 who loves to read and can commit to providing us with a review for the Children’s, Tweens, or Young Adult book they have chosen to review for us, we’d love to have them participate in our bi-monthly magazine Kids’ Book Review. Their reviews will also appear on our website. For all of 2013, Kids’ Book Review appeared as an insert inside San Francisco Book Review and Sacramento Book Review (which was discontinued after 2013). Because of the popularity of KBR, it launched as its own magazine in February 2014.

Our list of available books will be emailed to participating children’s parents every two weeks. Lists are sorted by publication issue date. So, if you have a child who likes to take their time reading a book, select one from an issue that is a couple months out. If you have a fast reader who can commit to having a review written by the deadline, then select from the list going into the next issue.

If you’re interested in having your child participate, please fill out a short form. Any questions, please email us or call 877-913-1776 and ask for Heidi.

Become a Book Reviewer | San Francisco Book Review (http://sanfranciscobookreview.com/about-us/become-a-reviewer/)

***Please consider doing this only if you know you can follow through with submitting the reviews and hitting the deadlines. :) From our experience, it's been awesome. Never had a problem or complaint. I will warn you that the list of available books that comes out every couple of weeks has material broken down into categories based on reading level/age. There are mature books on there for teens, so select carefully. I will google the ISBN number to get a better feel for the book before requesting it. A HS friend who was also having her kids do reviews made the mistake of requesting a title from the tween list and it was a romance meant for a 12-14yo girl...she had a 6yo boy. :rolleyes: Didn't go so well.

We love SFBR and KBR. The folks are super nice, the books are awesome most of the time. Only had a couple of clunkers. We've had many copies of books that were 2-3mo away from being released (IOW, DD was one of the 'first' kids to read it). We've even gotten some 'printer's' copies (the rough copy printers run for the publisher/AD/writer to check for errors and quality) of a couple books...one of those was Mo Willem's 'Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs'. It made for a really good lesson on how commercial printing works, and how books are printed, cut and bound. Lots of benefits to being a reviewer if your child loves to read and write!

sells_kate
02-27-2014, 07:24 AM
Thanks for this! Looks cool.

jsaffold
02-27-2014, 09:00 AM
DD has been doing book reviews for SFBR for the last few years, and they're getting ready to launch a separate Kids' Book Review (KBR) this month. Additionally, Children's Book Week is in May and they do a mega issue for that. They are looking for more kid reviewers. If your child loves to read and write/dictate an opinion, it's a really good way to expand one's library.

The following was pilfered from their site for those who want a little more info. If you want a lot more information, you can follow the link below to access Heidi's email or the link to the form to apply:

If you have a child or children between the ages of 5 and 17 who loves to read and can commit to providing us with a review for the Children’s, Tweens, or Young Adult book they have chosen to review for us, we’d love to have them participate in our bi-monthly magazine Kids’ Book Review. Their reviews will also appear on our website. For all of 2013, Kids’ Book Review appeared as an insert inside San Francisco Book Review and Sacramento Book Review (which was discontinued after 2013). Because of the popularity of KBR, it launched as its own magazine in February 2014.

Our list of available books will be emailed to participating children’s parents every two weeks. Lists are sorted by publication issue date. So, if you have a child who likes to take their time reading a book, select one from an issue that is a couple months out. If you have a fast reader who can commit to having a review written by the deadline, then select from the list going into the next issue.

If you’re interested in having your child participate, please fill out a short form. Any questions, please email us or call 877-913-1776 and ask for Heidi.

Become a Book Reviewer | San Francisco Book Review (http://sanfranciscobookreview.com/about-us/become-a-reviewer/)

***Please consider doing this only if you know you can follow through with submitting the reviews and hitting the deadlines. :) From our experience, it's been awesome. Never had a problem or complaint. I will warn you that the list of available books that comes out every couple of weeks has material broken down into categories based on reading level/age. There are mature books on there for teens, so select carefully. I will google the ISBN number to get a better feel for the book before requesting it. A HS friend who was also having her kids do reviews made the mistake of requesting a title from the tween list and it was a romance meant for a 12-14yo girl...she had a 6yo boy. :rolleyes: Didn't go so well.

We love SFBR and KBR. The folks are super nice, the books are awesome most of the time. Only had a couple of clunkers. We've had many copies of books that were 2-3mo away from being released (IOW, DD was one of the 'first' kids to read it). We've even gotten some 'printer's' copies (the rough copy printers run for the publisher/AD/writer to check for errors and quality) of a couple books...one of those was Mo Willem's 'Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs'. It made for a really good lesson on how commercial printing works, and how books are printed, cut and bound. Lots of benefits to being a reviewer if your child loves to read and write!

This is awesome, I write reviews a lot for Library thing , GoodReads, and Amazon. My daughter has asked a couple times about kids books. "well who does the kids books?? adults??..I dont care if an adult like a kids book" She's right....her and her friends were always like " ohhh I read its good, and so on and so on.
She would be more than willing to write reviews...)its help her typing too:o
win win

murphs_mom
02-27-2014, 12:58 PM
This is awesome, I write reviews a lot for Library thing , GoodReads, and Amazon.

Hey, they do adult reviews, too, in their SFBR edition, and they have a separate publication for gaming/role play-type stuff. To the best of my knowledge, they're always on the lookout for reviewers for that, too. As for Amazon, they're okay with the kids putting the KBR reviews on Amazon...they just ask that they mention they're reviewers for KBR/SFBR. We don't do that for every book here, but we do the ones that have been super good and the one that was pretty bad. Yeah, for the most part, it is a win-win situation. Free books, counts toward HSing, and they make great memory album/scrapbook fodder. :)