PDA

View Full Version : Heads Up: Strange Password Email

artmomz
02-23-2014, 01:41 PM
I just got a strange email from the site that said that my password was reset to something highly generic. I haven't been here in a while, so I don't know what was going on with that. (My password is now reset to something not quite so generic.)

Airen
02-23-2014, 01:44 PM
I just came in for the same reason!

I was able to log in with my usual name and old password. The email read as if I had just registered "with my chosen user name" and that my password was "password." That didn't work, fyi.

But I'm concern because it was my personal email.

Aandwsmom
See my sticky at the top! This has already been reported and we are working on it NOW!! Thanks!

Katrina
SHS Admin

Epiphany
Yeah, I got it too. But I logged in with no problem without using that one. So not sure what is going on.

Fairielover
That was a mistake. I sent an email to one person and it went out to the entire mailing list. No one's password has been reset. Please forgive me. Can't even blame it on being too early in the morning or not enough coffee. :)

jsaffold
02-23-2014, 01:47 PM
Ya I just got it..I kew it was a fake because it popped up on the wrong email.... Popped over here and I see I'm not the only on who got it.... Site was hacked somewhere

Airen
02-23-2014, 01:47 PM
HA! Ok. Glad it's a simple human error :)

GothicGyrl
02-23-2014, 01:48 PM
Just for your records, I just got the email as well. I knew not to click on the link and came here naturally instead and I was already logged in from a previous session.

This is just for your records to see how many it affected.
toni

jsaffold
02-23-2014, 01:50 PM
That was a mistake. I sent an email to one person and it went out to the entire mailing list. No one's password has been reset. Please forgive me. Can't even blame it on being too early in the morning or not enough coffee. :)

If that is so, than why did I receive the email on an email address that secular homeschool does not have?

Fairielover
02-23-2014, 01:53 PM
If that is so, than why did I receive the email on an email address that secular homeschool does not have? I don't have an answer for that one Julie. I honestly don't know what happened. I sent an email to one person and it went out to everyone on our mailing list. They are checking to see if something got hacked and my email was the trigger that released the hack. They will post as soon as they figure out what happened.

farrarwilliams
02-23-2014, 02:08 PM
There wasn't a link in mine at all. But I did open it by accident...

BarbaraH
02-23-2014, 02:21 PM
I got it too. I just logged on through my bookmarked link and changed my password just in case there was some security problem.

farrarwilliams
02-23-2014, 03:18 PM
And now I've had more spam get through to my inbox than usual. But that could be a complete coincidence...

Cheryl Aileen
02-23-2014, 04:21 PM
I also got an odd email that casued me to wonder if someone had re-registered under my email addy. Subject line was Registration. I have C&P it here:

Sent: ‎Sunday‎, ‎February‎ ‎23‎, ‎2014 ‎11‎:‎36‎ ‎AM
To: [email protected]

You are now set up on the SecularHomeschool.com website with your chosen username. Your password has temporarily been set to "password". Please go into your profile settings once you are logged in for the first time and reset your password to one of your choosing. Again, thank you for your patience. We are glad to have you as a site member!!

Fairielover
02-23-2014, 04:22 PM
I should post on the hater thread. I hate when I do something wrong and it causes problems for lots and lots of people on here.

Misha
02-23-2014, 04:32 PM
I got the same email, but also was able to log in with regular password. No big deal. :)

Thanks for the heads up on what happened, Kathi!

artmomz
02-23-2014, 08:26 PM
Oh, ok! Well I feel better that it wasn't some creepy person causing problems. Hugs Kathi!

pandahoneybee
03-03-2014, 03:16 PM
Yes all deep breath...it was human error . We were not hacked, neither was the admin's account who sent out the email. Simply a behind the scenes feature that we have disabled. Sorry for all the confusion and worrying it cause everyone:)

lakshmi
03-04-2014, 09:25 PM

So blame it on Mercury Retrograde!!! It's a perfect example!!

Glad to know, figured it was something benign since it had no link to click.

artmomz
03-04-2014, 09:54 PM
So blame it on Mercury Retrograde!!! It's a perfect example!!

Most definitely!