PDA

View Full Version : First Park Day

Paula
02-21-2014, 08:49 AM
Prior to our recent move, my son had a built-in social network in our neighborhood. I recently reached out to a group in my town and someone offered to meet us for a park day. It's our first and I'm nervous. I've told my son about it, and he's completely comfortable with it.

Me, on the other hand, nervous.

I have a slight suspicion she's a more religious homeschooler, so I worry about being judged for not being religious. Also, I'm pretty introverted. It might not be so bad if it were the whole group meeting at the park, but it sounds like a one-on-one. Freaking out a little.

Any advice about how to handle the first park day experience?

dbmamaz
02-21-2014, 09:27 AM
I actually like park days the most - i feel more comfortable outside, I think. But to get along with religious homeschoolers, it helps to keep on easy topics like - ask for suggestions for social gatherings, talk about adjusting to homeschooling. Talk of curriculum will make the religious divide more obvious, as religious homeschoolers are likely to use some of the big name religious curriculum - at my park days curriculum is rarely spoken of because ti can be divisive.

and maybe your son will hate it too and you'll have a good excuse to leave early! But even better, maybe it'll be just fine!

Keiran'sMom
02-21-2014, 10:46 AM
I am socially awkward and usually I am the one who has the problem not my son. I cannot offer advice but I can offer long distance support. I agree with staying on safe topics and please let us know how it goes!

BakedAk
02-21-2014, 11:54 AM
I do way better one on one. (My kids are fine unless there are so many people around that there are lines for the swings.) Talk about Disneyland! :) Don't be worried about being judged - you have your reasons for your beliefs (or lack of same), and they are more legitimate to you than any potential reasons for judging this person might have. That said, don't judge her before you go - she might surprise you by just wanting a friend for herself or her kid, and not wanting to convert you or sell you on Abeka. :)

farrarwilliams
02-21-2014, 12:34 PM
Just say what you told us. You want to make friends of all kinds, you feel a little socially anxious about meeting new people and fitting in, etc. When people lead with something like that, it usually dispels the tension for me.

rebjc
02-21-2014, 03:59 PM
It may take awhile to feel like you fit in. It took a couple months of regularly going before I didn't feel like an outsider. And it took some of my children that long to adjust.

sells_kate
02-21-2014, 04:44 PM
Sounds like me. My kids are fine meeting new ppl, it's always a problem for me. If et nervous and my face turns red. Ice always been shy so I don't talkative lot and people take it as I'm pissed.

Good luck. LMAO

sells_kate
02-21-2014, 04:44 PM
Wow, this iPad is really messing up my sentences!

Mariam
02-21-2014, 11:16 PM
Many of the homeschoolers in our area are religious, while it comes up on the Facebook page the groups maintains, it almost never comes up in playgroups. The homeschool groups openly says it is for all people and while there are requests for a particular curriculum online, when we get together to play the parents frequently talk about other things. Don't worry.

On another note, we are also a Disneyland-obsessed family. I have been working to incorporate Disney into our lessons on a regular bases. Disney's physics videos are fabulous if you have not seen them. (They teach physics by using Disneyland/WDW rides as examples. My 6 year old son loves them! )

mamaraby
02-22-2014, 08:11 AM
On another note, we are also a Disneyland-obsessed family. I have been working to incorporate Disney into our lessons on a regular bases. Disney's physics videos are fabulous if you have not seen them. (They teach physics by using Disneyland/WDW rides as examples. My 6 year old son loves them! )

Ok, I don't want to hijack this thread, so you're going to need to start a new thread and tell me more about this. Puh-lease?

OP - I think it'll go great. I always feel that way about these sorts of meet-ups and it often goes better than I had thought it would. :0)

Paula
02-22-2014, 09:04 AM
Ok, I don't want to hijack this thread, so you're going to need to start a new thread and tell me more about this. Puh-lease?

Hijack away! I'm always down for hearing Disneyland-related stuff.

Mariam- We've done Disneyland-based unit studies before, but I've never heard of these physics videos. Tell us more!

Mariam
02-22-2014, 05:35 PM
The Disney videos are called The Science of Disney Imagineering. There are 11 videos and they all deal with science related to Disney, with most of them talking about physics. If you have been to Disneyland, they show the video in the Innovations center, but rarely are people sitting watching the videos. You can purchase the videos at Educational Videos: Math Videos, Science Videos | Disney Educational Productions (http://dep.disney.go.com/mathscience.html)

Right now they are having a sale that ends at the end of February (and they are 50% off for the sale). While Disney claims that the target audience is jr. high and high school age students, I find that my son still gets something out of them and they are very entertaining. We watch them over and over again and when we go to the parks he looks at the rides and explains how they work.

cnavarrete
04-17-2014, 11:20 PM
I just checked our local library and most of the videos are available for check out - you might check yours. I haven't seen them yet but can't wait!

murphs_mom
04-18-2014, 12:11 AM
By all means, I could be wrong here (just ask around...they'll confirm), but this person may be in a similar situation as yourself. If she was all that entrenched in the local clique, she wouldn't be seeking out others to meet up with. KWIM?

My greatest sin, when meeting with other HSers 1-on-1, is that I usually clam up. I'm so afraid of saying the wrong thing (cause I'm so inappropriate sometimes...alright, all the time...that it makes DH squirm, and we've been together 16+yr) that I usually say nothing at all or do the Tim Allen grunt. I hate to ask others questions because I feel like I'm being invasive. And, on the rare occasions I try to improve my ill behavior, I can end up rambling endlessly about nothing at all. So when it's all said and done, I'm usually the reason the other family has no interest in connecting again. Especially if they're really devout. We've had a few families where I clicked with the parent, but it's been painfully few. So we venture online once in a great while in an effort to meet new blood. You're the new blood in this scenario. :p Perhaps this family is eager to find others who are less religiously inclined?

Take your kid's favorite snack, a beverage, and just plan on having a good time. If you're happy, your kiddo will probably be happy. If nothing else, spring is just lurking around the corner...hopefully your weather will be beautiful!

Keiran'sMom
04-18-2014, 07:41 AM
By all means, I could be wrong here (just ask around...they'll confirm), but this person may be in a similar situation as yourself. If she was all that entrenched in the local clique, she wouldn't be seeking out others to meet up with. KWIM?

My greatest sin, when meeting with other HSers 1-on-1, is that I usually clam up. I'm so afraid of saying the wrong thing (cause I'm so inappropriate sometimes...alright, all the time...that it makes DH squirm, and we've been together 16+yr) that I usually say nothing at all or do the Tim Allen grunt. I hate to ask others questions because I feel like I'm being invasive. And, on the rare occasions I try to improve my ill behavior, I can end up rambling endlessly about nothing at all. So when it's all said and done, I'm usually the reason the other family has no interest in connecting again. Especially if they're really devout. We've had a few families where I clicked with the parent, but it's been painfully few. So we venture online once in a great while in an effort to meet new blood. You're the new blood in this scenario. :p Perhaps this family is eager to find others who are less religiously inclined?

Take your kid's favorite snack, a beverage, and just plan on having a good time. If you're happy, your kiddo will probably be happy. If nothing else, spring is just lurking around the corner...hopefully your weather will be beautiful!

You sound a lot like me. I have to think through everything I say because I am known to be blunt....a little to blunt. I have been invited on one play date and the person never contacted me again. I have replayed the conversation in my head and I can certainly find a dozen parts that I said something I probably shouldnt of. On the flip side my husband is just as bad as I am and my son is worse. We are known for the cold honest truth and biting sarcasam, which a lot of people cannot handle. Lol.