PDA

View Full Version : We are starting school early

callie
08-13-2010, 08:03 AM
As bad as this sounds, my kids are driving me crazy. I think we have been out of school for too long, and they are bored. So we are starting school Monday instead of waiting until September. I am a little stressed right now because I thought I had plenty of time to get everything planned. I am trying to get at least a couple months into Homeschool Tracker, hopefully I can get it done this weekend.

Just needed to vent a little. Thanks!

JinxieFox
08-13-2010, 08:27 AM
Same here, Callie! I think my son is getting bored, so it is time to start early. Now, instead of waiting until September! Even though I don't have all of our curricula yet, I do have things to get us started. Hopefully, it will be a sanity saver on both sides. ;)

Teri
08-13-2010, 08:56 AM
We will be starting as soon as the curriculum arrives!

Sarbare0704
08-13-2010, 09:35 AM
I wish we could start now! Lucy is dieing for it! But our space that we are keeping all the stuff in needs to be organized and put together! So for now we are waiting a bit but I am trying to get the room ready! With the little one crawling around and how small our house is I really need to have a space just for school!

hockeymom
08-13-2010, 10:06 AM
We never really stopped schooling over the summer, but we "officially" started the new year last week at DS's request. We still have several "summer" activities going on this month so I didn't intend to start until the end of August, but he wanted to get going on it. So now there's more of a schedule but it's really relaxed.

StartingOver
08-13-2010, 10:23 AM
We never really stop either, we just take breaks when we wish and at least do a little bit every day. It is the same as my first time around, the kids get bored with no structure at all. Bored children = annoyed mom !! LOL I admit mine aren't angels all the time. Even if they just sit while I read aloud, play with the geoboard, do math on the abacus, play with math manipulatives, or shoots and ladders, etc. They are learning, and I don't have a head ache from the bickering heheh.

I found even with my older children, that with long breaks they loose ground. I much prefer a more relaxed schedule that promotes constant advancement.

Shoe
08-13-2010, 10:51 AM
We've started doing a few easy workbook type lessons in the car, just to ease them back into the groove. We'll be ramping it up again around the 22nd or 23rd, depending on how things go...but even then, I've got a couple of field trips planned.

Topsy
08-13-2010, 10:53 AM
We started back this week because it is just so freakin hot right now that we were all just sitting around the house in the air conditioning anyway, so we decided to school a bit early and then take a few extra weeks off when things cool down. I'm pretty happy with the decision except that some of our curriculum hasn't even arrived yet!! :o

farrarwilliams
08-13-2010, 11:01 AM
We have one more whole week of summer camp left next week. So, woohoo because I'm not ready. But our little 4 family co-op starts meeting again the following week and I guess we'll start easing in... Not long ago, the kids had this hilarious morning where all they wanted to do was school things. We ended up doing reading and then holding a spur of the moment egg drop contest with the 9 ft. ladder that I use to change the lightbulbs on our tall ceilings.

AshleysMum
08-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Hi Callie! Boy can I relate! I took my 7 yr old out of 1st grade PS last year due to issues there and she was bored as well! We took summer off and I was planning on starting mid-Aug but she wouldn't have it, had to start last Monday. I have a hard time keeping up with my little sponge. How do you like Homeschool Tracker? I used it last year and am debating whether to use it or just keep everything on paper in a notebook. Have a great day!

callie
08-13-2010, 11:53 AM
How do you like Homeschool Tracker? I used it last year and am debating whether to use it or just keep everything on paper in a notebook.

This is my first year using it, I downloaded it last year but didn't use it. So far I am loving it. I had to download the Plus version so I could move our dates backwards. Well, I guess I could have manually moved it all, but I don't have the patience for that. lol Last year I tried to plan on paper, but I kept changing and adding things. My favorite feature of Homeschool Tracker is being able to move things forward if I decide to throw in something else. Also, I like being able to print him out an assignment list for the week, he is 12 so he works pretty independently. Maybe you should use it to schedule a month and see if you think it works for y'all. That is the way I found out what I had been missing. :)

dbmamaz
08-13-2010, 04:45 PM
I've been doing 'summer school' most of the summer, just to keep the boys busy. But its a lot lighter than regular school, so I've had some chance to do some catch-up cleaning before everything goes too crazy. My boys are quite happy to spend all day playing video games, tho. i wont start until after our 'not-back-to-school' picnic, which is mid-september.

Summer school for Raven is Time4Learning, maybe 30 minutes/day; a page of Dr Dooriddles; cleaning off the table, and usually i do some reading to him. For Orion, its 30 minutes of fiction reading, a single lesson from some critical thinking book (ok, at that rate it will take us about 4 years to finish), and some practice with his multiplication facts, which he doesnt know still.

schwartzkari
08-14-2010, 04:40 PM
We do year round schooling and haven't really "stopped" in the last 3 years, lol. Over the summer, my daughter worked thru an 8-week workbook that went over reading, math and writing. The schools here in our city go back starting this week, so our schedule is picking up heavily again, plus dance class starts again this coming week, and her art lessons starting in 2 weeks. I definitely have to keep my daughter busy because she is one of those kids who complains if she doesn't have something structured to do almost every minute of the day, lol. Thankfully, my son is still content to occupy himself most of the time :)

SunshineKris
08-15-2010, 01:59 AM
WE started later than we wanted to! Our stuff didn't get here for a while after I ordered it. The kids were BORED and wanting to start! We did do some work each morning as a review and creative thinking time (math review, journaling, reading and reading comprehension which I thought was very lacking in ps). Then we took a week off to goof off and they got bored again. But they asked for it, knowing we were going full bore soon. Then we started last week officially and they are quite happy, though we are making some adjustments. And then, wouldn't you know it, after a summer of having plenty of free and flexible time, we got the call on Friday saying we can move on base. So now we get to interrupt already to move. Though we are excited to be moving. And the kids are ready to pitch in. (DH is gone AGAIN during a move; I am an expert at moving alone by now!)

Don't feel like you're starting early. Just think, you can easily take a long weekend or even a week off and not be "behind" and struggling to catch up. That's half the reason we are homeschooling. We can travel on our terms, not the school district's terms, and not worry about the kids missing any school work. And if we decide we need a day or two off to just do nothing, well then so be it.