PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Western Australia

prolelicious
08-13-2010, 06:00 AM
Hi everyone. I thought I'd make a proper introduction instead of a tag on someone else's post. I'm Dannye (sounds like Danny). I've been homeschooling my son (year 2) for two years now. We started out in Montessori and it didn't work out due to a variety of issues. I had planned to homeschool from the start, but I became a single mum when my son was 18 months old and thought I could not manage it. We're managing it now!

I grew up in California and lived in Hawai'i and Oregon prior to moving to Australia close to nine years ago. I still miss home but have not been back in all of that time. I love living here, most especially because it is easier to be a sole parent and homeschool than I think it would be for single parents in the states.

We have a secular approach to all of our homeschooling and find the lack of secular materials and others to chat with to be quite frustrating. I have bitten my tongue more than once at social events. I have some spiritual leanings and am more agnostic than anything, but my son is a devout atheist at this point as he's quite scientifically oriented. :)

It is great to be here. I have passed along the resource to many other Western Australians. Thanks for making this possible!

Topsy
08-13-2010, 07:43 AM
So great to have you here prolelicious!! Sounds like you have been on quite a journey! I'm thrilled to hear that you have been able to make homeschooling as a single parent successful for you and your son. That will be quite an encouragement for other single moms to hear. In fact, I'd love it if you would write a little about your experience single-parent homeschooling in Australia. It would make for a helpful article on the site, I think!! I hope you enjoy hanging out with us and sharing and receiving encouragement. Look forward to seeing you around the site... :)

prolelicious
08-13-2010, 07:55 AM
Hi Topsy, thanks. Homeschooling here as a sole parent is a lot different than it would be in the USA. We have so much more social equity in this country than I ever did in the states, in fact this is the first time I've seriously considered attending university beyond an AS degree. We have national health insurance and a social security system that keeps a roof over almost everyone's heads (it's changing a lot, though). I have a friend who lives in the states who was able to homeschool as a sole parent only because she worked full time and was able to hire someone full time to assist her in the house. I honestly don't think I could be that level of supermom and I really applaud all the women who do manage to make that work in places where the government isn't as supportive of families. We have a LOT of perks here in Australia that just don't exist in the USA. I fell in love with the country after a couple of years of severe homesickness, but the main reason I stayed when my relationship fell apart was so that my son would have access to that level of social equity. Here class structure is not as static as it is in the states. When he grows up he could choose to be just about anything he wants to be despite coming from a low income sole parent family, and the society supports it. We're very lucky here!

Shoe
08-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Hi everyone. I thought I'd make a proper introduction instead of a tag on someone else's post. I'm Dannye (sounds like Danny). I've been homeschooling my son (year 2) for two years now. We started out in Montessori and it didn't work out due to a variety of issues. I had planned to homeschool from the start, but I became a single mum when my son was 18 months old and thought I could not manage it. We're managing it now!

I grew up in California and lived in Hawai'i and Oregon prior to moving to Australia close to nine years ago. I still miss home but have not been back in all of that time. I love living here, most especially because it is easier to be a sole parent and homeschool than I think it would be for single parents in the states.

We have a secular approach to all of our homeschooling and find the lack of secular materials and others to chat with to be quite frustrating. I have bitten my tongue more than once at social events. I have some spiritual leanings and am more agnostic than anything, but my son is a devout atheist at this point as he's quite scientifically oriented. :)

It is great to be here. I have passed along the resource to many other Western Australians. Thanks for making this possible!

Welcome to the site, Dannye. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on things here. I'm sure you'll find it a great place to be.

Cheers.

wild_destiny
08-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Wow, Dannye, it sounds like you have it made in Australia! I would love to hear more about your experiences (both as a homeschooling parent and as a single mom, and about the differences you have experienced between the two countries). You clearly have a wealth of practical information to share! Well, welcome to the group! :)

StartingOver
08-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Welcome Dannye ! Hmmmmmm maybe we should all move to Australia.

Sarbare0704
08-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Welcome to the group! Glad you found us!

hockeymom
08-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Welcome Dannye!

Glad to have you here! I'm looking forward to hearing more about your adventures, although as an American expat, I can't say my experience has been as positive as yours. :(

I hope you like it here as much as I do; it's an awesome group of folks! :)

BTW: I'm originally from California too--what part did you grow up in?

prolelicious
08-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the awesome welcome! :) Jana, it's sad to say this but a lot of other countries make life worth living in comparison to the USA. I could go on a political rant but I won't (yet) ;). A lot of European countries would be the same as here, countries in the UK, etc. But we have lots of nice beaches. :P Just like everything there are giant plusses and minuses. Admittedly, I have to have a bubbly and positive attitude about it because I literally couldn't move back to the states. If I didn't have a positive attitude I would implode. :)

hockey, I wish I could be in Canada sometimes, the opposite side of where you are. I look at Vancouver a lot and sometimes fantasise that when my son is older and I have completed grad school, that I might want to consider moving there. Australia is soooooo far away from home or anywhere else, it has taken some getting used to.

I grew up in the Coachella Valley but spent my "formative" years in San Francisco. Where did you grow up? I haven't been in Southern California since 1994!

Stella M
08-14-2010, 04:54 AM
Hi Dannye,
Nice to meet you :) I've posted over at the Australian homeschoolers group, just to start things off, hope to see you there some time!
Melissa

prolelicious
08-14-2010, 05:28 AM
Cool will check it out. :)

pandahoneybee
08-14-2010, 09:05 AM
Welcome to the site and nice hearing so much about Australia that I never knew! Maybe I should tell DH to apply for a job down there!
Can't wait to know you better!

InstinctiveMom
08-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Welcome, Dannye! I'm so looking forward to reading more!
~h

hockeymom
08-15-2010, 06:28 AM
I grew up in the Coachella Valley but spent my "formative" years in San Francisco. Where did you grow up? I haven't been in Southern California since 1994!

I grew up in northern CA and went to university in SF. I'm glad I grew up out there but can't imagine going back west. After living away for more than half my life, I am an east coast gal now! :)