PDA

View Full Version : Greek Mythology and The Lightning Thief

VickieB
02-12-2014, 01:32 PM
As our first literary work, my writing hating, wonderful son has chosen The Lightning Thief. He has already read it and really liked it so I figured I would actually make a series of lessons out of it. The book is a great segue into Greek mythology. In a search online, I found this great page that has tons of lesson plan stuff and also questions that tie into the Lightning Thief.

7th Grade Mythology Unit (http://www.jefftwp.org/middleschool/CoreTeams/LA/greek_mythology.htm)

(As a cool side note: I got "lost and managed to lose the main lesson plan page. In going to the main website, jefftwp.org, I realized it was where *I* went to middle school and high school over 25 years ago!! :cool:)

Fairielover
02-12-2014, 01:44 PM
My son loves this book and all things that have to do with Greek mythology. We ended up buying several books on mythology to satisfy his hunger for it.

halfpint
02-12-2014, 08:40 PM
We haven't read the book, but Grandma did rent the movie, thinking it was up our alley... until the kids started pointing out every minute deviation from historical Greek mythology. And every other problem in continuity, physics, logic, etc. (How are they paying for their gas? Aren't they too young to drive? etc.)

Of course, critiquing movies in minute detail is right up our alley, so she was kinda right.

Afterwards, they dug out their mythology books to fact-check every character :)

BakedAk
02-13-2014, 11:14 AM
Half-pint - I love your kids. :D

halfpint
02-13-2014, 04:57 PM
Half-pint - I love your kids. :D

Thanks, but only one of them is mine, and she's too young to follow the movie. The rest are cousins, we do family-style homeschool.

BakedAk
02-13-2014, 05:28 PM
Well, ok, then. I love the kids you homeschool. Those are the kinds of discussions that DH and I have regularly over movies. He even uses some ridiculous examples of bad movie physics in his public high school classroom. "Armageddon" is a favorite.

Emerald
02-21-2014, 11:18 AM
Cool! Thanks for the link. We're getting ready to cover some of these myths and my son will most likely be reading The Lightning Thief.

Teri
02-21-2014, 11:55 AM
The movie was not true to the book at all.
Riordan has done a really good job in all of his series with keeping the mythology in tact. My kids love the books and mythology.
They are getting ready to take the National Mythology Exam again and the base of their knowledge last year was Rick Riordan. LOL And, D'Aulaires'.

Credence
03-31-2014, 07:25 AM
I just finished The Lightning Thief with my 7- and 8-year-old boys and they LOVED it. And yes, explained to me every place where the movie deviated from the book. I can't WAIT to read the other books in the series. These particular kids are not actually homeschooled--I am homeschooling their high school aged brother this summer--but now I am inspired to start them on either Greek or Latin to keep their work ethic intact until they get to the point where they are no longer allllways ahead in school.

Fairielover
04-02-2014, 01:50 PM
We haven't read the book, but Grandma did rent the movie, thinking it was up our alley... until the kids started pointing out every minute deviation from historical Greek mythology. And every other problem in continuity, physics, logic, etc. (How are they paying for their gas? Aren't they too young to drive? etc.)

Of course, critiquing movies in minute detail is right up our alley, so she was kinda right.

Afterwards, they dug out their mythology books to fact-check every character :)

I love your kids. They sound so much like my son. When he was about 5 years old we were at a Ren Faire. We stopped to watch a satirical Shakesphere play. every few minutes my son would look at me and say, "That's not how it goes." Finally one of the actors turned to my son and said, "How do you know how it goes." Everyone laughed, but they knew my son was right.

freerangedad
04-02-2014, 08:10 PM
I can't tell you how happy I am that DD moved on to Harry Potter. She has been reading and rereading PJ for over a year. I couldn't get her to read anything else! They are wonderful books. We had a fun time taking the quizzes. Thanks for the link.