PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Middle Tennessee!

AshleysMum
08-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Just joined this site and glad to find it! I'm Lisa, 46, married to a truck driver (local, groceries), mom/stepmom to five girls but only one left at home - our 7 yr old Ashley, gramma to 2 1/2 (the 1/2 due in Oct), and homeschooling mom since Feb 2009. We're in middle Tennessee near Nashville but have been all over. We pulled Ash out of public school due to many issues, one being she wasn't being taught to read. We love homeschooling but got a bit tired of being expected to be a religious person in order to "fit in". All the mess about me is on my profile. We're Classic ed. based (TWTM) but mostly eclectic and easy going about most subjects. We have core subjects (English, math) we stick to but the rest is mostly at whim. I say that because we have a hard time keeping up with her hunger for knowledge in just about every area.

Shoe
08-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Welcome to the site. I look forward to getting to know you better.

Cheers.

Topsy
08-13-2010, 07:56 AM
Welcome to the site, Ashleysmum!! It's great to meet you and find out a little about your family and homeschooling style. Sorry you haven't found a place to fit in with yet, so in the meantime, I'm glad you found a "virtual support group." ;) We do have a list of secular/inclusive groups in TN on our resource page (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/203-Secular-Homeschool-Support-Groups-by-State), so stop by and check it out to see if there is anything near you that you might have missed. I hope you will enjoy SHS.com!

Sarbare0704
08-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Welcome to the group! I hope you will find it as great as I do!

StartingOver
08-13-2010, 09:55 AM
welcome to the group, I hope you find as much joy here as I have.

AshleysMum
08-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks, all! What a friendly group. It's nice to see a site like this where dads are welcome as well.

Shoe
08-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks, all! What a friendly group. It's nice to see a site like this where dads are welcome as well.

Is that not the case on most groups? Wow, I guess I'm even luckier than I thought to have stumbled onto this one first!

Suzanne
08-19-2010, 02:34 AM
Hi, Lisa! I'm Suzanne. I just joined the site and see that you are near Nashville as well. I have a 6yo boy, and we are looking for kids to hang out with, group field trips, etc. Maybe we can hook up along the way?

AshleysMum
08-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Hi Suzanne! This site is WONDERFUL even though I've only been part of it a short time as well. Hooking up would be great. There is a local group as well but not very active at the moment: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MidTnSecularHomeschoolers/ We're in Murfreesboro and new to homeschooling (since Feb last year) and loving it as well! We're also looking for hangers out and such. Our next "big" field trip (though so far it's just me and Ash) is planned for the Pumpkin patch and such at a farm in Eaglesville. I've sent you a friend request!

Shoe
08-19-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm not talking to myself. I'm having a parent-teacher conference! (HLA)LOL, that is great!

pandahoneybee
08-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Welcome to the group! and don't tell anyone i have parent/teacher conferences almost every day!