PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good Math Scope and Sequence

Amazingk8
02-08-2014, 10:04 AM
Hi! I'm looking for a good Math scope and sequence resource. Ideally it would be in lay language or have examples of what is expected with each element and cover multiple years of learning. Thanks ahead of time!

Kate in IN

crunchymum
02-08-2014, 06:25 PM
Not specific to math but Rebecca Rupp's Homelearning Year by Year is an excellent resource, and has a math section that seems pretty comprehensive, along with some resource suggestions. No samples though.

dbmamaz
02-08-2014, 06:43 PM
just want to make sure you know that most homeschoolers just use math curriculum and follow whatever scope and sequence they use. For example, MEP, which is free, or math mammoth, which is cheap to buy at the homeschool buyers coop. also livingmath.net talks about how to approach math without using a curriculum.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
02-08-2014, 07:00 PM
World Book (http://worldbook.com/typical-course-of-study?wbredirect=1&Itemid=216) has a list of topics by grade level, with a list of specific (and jargon-free!) topics for math.

Also, many school districts post curriculum maps on their websites. You could check out the districts around you.

farrarwilliams
02-08-2014, 08:36 PM
You could just use Common Core's.

Or you could get a program like Math on the Level that does basically what you're saying. But it's very expensive.

But I agree with Cara. By far the easiest thing would be to get a math curriculum and follow that. Maybe if you explain why you want a scope and sequence and what you want to do with it, we can point you in the right direction.

SusanC
02-09-2014, 04:42 PM
The Kitchen Table Math books carried by AoPS do just that. They have almost an outline form that talks about what topics to introduce, in what order, and an idea or two for how to teach it.

farrarwilliams
02-09-2014, 04:56 PM
KTM didn't quite work for us, but it is like that. But it only goes up to 4th grade.

ejsmom
02-09-2014, 08:01 PM
Just go to IXL's website and you can see what they have on there by grade, and examples of problems. You don't have to join to look at it.

IXL Math | Online math practice (http://www.ixl.com/math/)

Amazingk8
02-09-2014, 09:51 PM
Thank you! These are all wonderful ideas. I have a 5 year old who enjoys math but isn't ready for a formal curriculum yet (me either) so I've been trying to find games and crafts and the like that introduce concepts. All I ever really come up with on my own are counting and addition/subtraction games - which are great but I realize there are a lot of other concepts that she would enjoy that I'm just forgetting about. I know eventually we'll get in to a math curriculum and until then it makes me feel a little calmer to think that I am probably exposing her to topics in a logical order that won't stunt her ability to learn Algebra later. I've bookmarked my state's standards, which are informative but not particularly inspiring or easy to understand. I'm going to go check these ideas out!