PDA

View Full Version : Just joined site and am going to second year of homeschooling

Katiehathaway75
08-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Hi everyone!
I am in the readying up stage for the fall and am thinking of going with a planned curriculum this year. Last year seemed to leave me frazzled and wondering if I am soing the right thing for my two dds. Any suggestions?

Topsy
08-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Katie,

Sometimes it IS good to have a year where everything is kinda figured out for you. Also, if you work from home, like I do, lesson planning can really take it out of you!! When I started working from home we started using online curriculum. This is my youngest son's fourth year with Time4Learning, an online multimedia curriculum. The lesson planning and record keeping is all done for you, although you can certainly supplement with other stuff, like we do for science.

I think sometimes it just depends on the level of control you want to have over what they are studying. If you really like to guide their studies, then a pre-planned curriculum may not be best, but if you are just needing a break, it might be just what the doc ordered! :)

Sarbare0704
08-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Welcome to the group! This is my first year at this so I don't have any advice, just wanted to say "hi!"

Shoe
08-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Welcome! I hope you'll find this community as helpful and friendly as I have.

StartingOver
08-11-2010, 06:42 PM
I think most new homeschoolers tend to grab a package when first starting out. I know I used Calvert my first 2 years, then went off on my own. This second time around I am combining different methods.

Some that can be secularized or are secular are Oakmeadow, Calvert, Sonlight, Laural Springs, & Moving Beyond the Page. There are general guides like The Well Trained Mind, and Tanglewood.com. I am sure there are others too, but those are the ones of the top of my head.

Kylie
08-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Welcome, sorry I don't have any advice at present to offer, but wanted to say hello :)

SunshineKris
08-12-2010, 05:53 AM
This is my first year and we are also using a boxed curriculum (Calvert). Today is Day 4 so I have no real advice. I can say it is very helpful (IMHO) to have it all set up for me, to have that guide right there, to know we are on track by some sort of standard. Will I one day branch out on my own? I don't know yet. I will certainly add where I feel I need to. But so far, so good. I haven't cried yet at least. ;)

laundrycrisis
08-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Hi everyone!
I am in the readying up stage for the fall and am thinking of going with a planned curriculum this year. Last year seemed to leave me frazzled and wondering if I am soing the right thing for my two dds. Any suggestions?

Welcome !

I don't have any to recommend but I'm thinking about it too, either for later this year or next year.

As our second kid comes into being school aged, I'm nervous about doing all the planning for two and thinking I might go boxed at some point. I think it might allow me more time to help them and do more fun stuff if I don't have to spend so much time working on preparing things or searching for them. I didn't feel it was an option this year or last because DS1 has had such huge challenges with learning to read and write (vision and visual processing issues) that I really just needed to meet him where he was each day...but once we are over that hurdle and he can read and write, I may want to use a boxed program to lessen my job of planning for two students...I am thinking about Verticy for him for next year, which is a version of Calvert that makes accommodations for written language challenges. For anyone who uses Calvert I would enjoy reading your thoughts on it....is it too much work ? Too much structure ? Too boring ? Too much busywork ? That's the stuff I worry about with a boxed program.

InstinctiveMom
08-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Welcome!
We don't use a boxed curr, but I can definitely see the appeal! I just wanted to say hi :)
~h

hockeymom
08-15-2010, 06:25 AM
Welcome! We don't use a boxed curriculum either and we're new to homeschooling so I don't have any advice to offer up, but I'm sure you'll get lots here. This is a great community and everyone is super helpful. Have fun on your journey! :)