PDA

View Full Version : World History For Us All

julie41
01-29-2014, 10:33 PM
Hello to everyone. If anyone has ever used World History For Us All, please let me know exactly how to use it.
I have been on that site and I have read it over, and over again to try to find this same answer. I emailed the
company twice, but still, no reply from them. I am trying to find out which one of the Big Era's to use for my
7th grader. I don't exactly think you're suppose to use all of the Era's; right?

If anyone knows, please let me know.

Thank you so much in advance,

Julie

dbmamaz
01-30-2014, 10:05 AM
There is no one era that would be best for any one age. I'm pretty sure its meant to be a one-year high school curriculum, but I also had trouble getting in to it. I would start with whichever era appeals to you or, more importantly, your child.

I felt, though, like we didnt know enough history to make sense of it. I ended up just using books.

Solong
01-30-2014, 10:48 AM
It's a (mostly) free program designed by San Diego University and UCLA. They've always responded to my emails, but it can take a few days.

The website stinks. The program is still under development, with the help of hundreds of K-12 teachers across the US. I think the website is really set up for the participating teachers to access the units and give feedback.

We started using it in last year, in G3. I guess you could say we are using it as a 'spine'. We did 'History, Geography and Time' last year, following dd's interests and tangents as we went. If we do one 'big era' a year, that puts us through G12. It's very dry for the lower grades, and needs supplementing to keep it fun.

You choose the level of detail and depth for each era by selecting panoramic, landscape, or close-up lessons. For example, a panoramic look at an era might take only three lessons. A close-up look of the same era might take 22 lessons (if you do them all). You should start with "History, Geography and Time", as it sets up the flow of all the following units. Then, you can just pick whichever era he is interested in. Not all of the eras are fully developed, but they are getting close.

I bought their pdf, "A Compact History of Humankind". It was $12, and it's a 414 page booklet that helped me understand how to use the program.

Overall, I like it. It's an organized, thorough, world-perspective history program. Dh and I are not history buffs, so this is exactly the framework we needed. We're taking it slow with the close-up lessons, and supplementing according to interests.

farrarwilliams
01-30-2014, 11:07 AM
I've wondered about the pdf. Is it to the teacher or the student, AnonyMs?

julie41
01-31-2014, 11:49 AM
Hi everyone, and thank you all so much for your information.;)