PDA

View Full Version : Family Subjects

rebjc
01-28-2014, 03:57 PM
Just curious how much learning goes on as a whole family in your house. My 4 1/2 yo twins are not developmentally ready to do a lot formal learning, so I have been doing a lot of separate teaching to my 5 and 6 year olds. I like that I can teach to their exact needs and strengths. We do read alouds, MindUp curriculum, nature journals, singing, and exercise as a whole family. But I am thinking as I start formally teaching all my kids in two years I might need to do more whole family lessons. My oldest will only be 8 when the twins start officially homeschooling, and I am not sure how much independent work she will be doing at that point.

So what subjects/curriculum do you use for your whole family or a set of siblings and what are their ages?

inmom
01-28-2014, 05:27 PM
We started homeschooling when the kids were 2nd (ds) and 3rd grade (dd). For the most part, math and spelling were the only things they did separately until they hit high school. Our read-alouds, their reading, social studies, science, art, music, grammar, etc were the same. Even in high school, they took or are taking at the same time: physics, chemistry, English, economics, government, U.S. history, personal finance, and world religions.

It's just laziness on my part!

crunchymum
01-28-2014, 11:23 PM
I have twins and one two years younger and they do pretty much all their curriculum work together.
My oldest is in high school and independent. However we cover similar topics (everyone is studying biology this year for example because it makes my life easier for having materials and supplies on hand, reference books, family movies/dvds etc on the same topic.

Gummers
01-29-2014, 06:12 AM
We do latin, history, and science as a "whole family". Ages 6 and 11. I gear the history/science for the 11 year old and the 6 year old picks up bits here and there. I have different expectations for each of them despite teaching the same materials. Actually, I'm surprised how well she understands he sister's science/history. All our other topics are independent.

MrsLOLcat
01-29-2014, 10:54 AM
We do science, history, and Spanish together... oh, and art. They will have similar writing or logic assignments slightly modified for age/ability. Then their spelling, grammar, and math are separate.

Teri
01-29-2014, 11:04 AM
Mine are 11, 12 and 13. The only things that are different for them are foreign language and math. Everything else is together or the same. You may be able to put them all together in a few years, depending on their levels (my youngest is able to work way ahead of grade level). For a while, the middle one did her own thing, but she is able to work with them now.
I would be VERY light on the younger ones and focus on the older one. Really, 8-9 is when we started getting more serious. I didn't do anything with not-school age kids, except for letting them do things for fun.

rebjc
01-29-2014, 03:36 PM
Mine are 11, 12 and 13. The only things that are different for them are foreign language and math. Everything else is together or the same. You may be able to put them all together in a few years, depending on their levels (my youngest is able to work way ahead of grade level). For a while, the middle one did her own thing, but she is able to work with them now.
I would be VERY light on the younger ones and focus on the older one. Really, 8-9 is when we started getting more serious. I didn't do anything with not-school age kids, except for letting them do things for fun.

Yes, that was my concern because my oldest will be 8 when the twins are school age, and that is the age I envisioned where things would get a little more intense for her as far as a workload. Well, the twins are asynchronous learners. They are bright and catch on quickly with oral activities but anything requiring social skills, visual/spatial reasoning and executive functioning skills they are at least a year or two behind their peers due to a disability they have. My oldest is bright and catches on quickly. She may in fact be academically gifted but not on a genius level if that makes any sense. :) Our middle son has a lot of anxiety that gets in the way of his learning. So while they are all so close in age they are all very different learners. But the group activities we have done so far have gone pretty well, but they haven't been academic subjects. And of course, this is all a long ways away - 2 years. So much could change in between then. Yes, the little ones spend the vast majority of their day playing and any "school " activity we have is very play based and hands on.

I love to hear the responses here.