PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Michigan's U.P.

Yooper
08-11-2010, 09:26 AM
I just found this board and have enjoyed checking it out. I have a 7 yo dd that has never been to school. We started out with an unschooling approach but have recently switched gears to what may become a more classical approach.....I am still researching, which is why I am here. My dd is a huge reader and has expressed a desire to try out a more structured homeschool. I am a little nervous and overwhelmed by curriculum choices as I have not up until now done any research. There is SO MUCH! So, I will be asking a lot of questions in the very near future:)

Dd is an only child and her biggest loves are violin and gymnastics. I am home most of the time. I work part-time as an adjunct instructor at the local university. We live in a great state for homeschooling and have enjoyed every second so far! We do not have much of a local homeschooling community, however. There is a large homeschool group here, but it is very religiously oriented and we do not feel comfortable participating in it:( Luckily dd does have a handful of homeschooled friends that we do feel comfortable with and many schooled friends. My dh travels a lot for work and we tag along whenever we can. We also spend most of the summer camping and going to music festivals.

I am looking forward to participating here!

Yooper

Shoe
08-11-2010, 11:34 AM
I just found this board and have enjoyed checking it out... We're glad you found us! This is a great place to be.

I am a little nervous and overwhelmed by curriculum choices as I have not up until now done any research. There is SO MUCH! So, I will be asking a lot of questions in the very near future:)That's how I've felt as a new homeschooler. Ask your questions-there are a lot of friendly people with a lot of good advice and experience to answer them, in my experience.

I am looking forward to participating here!

Yooper I look forward to getting to know you better.

Cheers.

hockeymom
08-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Welcome Yooper!

You are right--there is SO MUCH information out there about homeschooling, and I agree that it can get very overwhelming. I hope you are enjoying searching through previous posts, and don't be afraid to ask questions! Everyone here is so supportive and we'll all help as much as we can.

We are homeschooling our 7 year old for our first "official" year this year too, and there others in that age group as well. This forum has been an invaluable place for great information.

Looking forward to getting to know you better! :)

Sarbare0704
08-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Welcome to the group! I am sure you will find a lot of great information on here I know I have!

schwartzkari
08-12-2010, 12:02 AM
Hi Yooper! I actually grew up in Grand Rapids, MI. I moved to Texas about 10 years ago :)
Welcome to the group, there are alot of great people here!