PDA

View Full Version : Gaming suggestions for 8yo

murphs_mom
01-25-2014, 01:58 AM
We were at the local comic book store this evening...girl needed a MLP fix. They had a large crowd in the back. Apparently it was MTG night. It made me start thinking that perhaps DD should start learning some of these things. DH used to do D&D, board war games, Traveller (sp?), and old geek-boy things, so I don't think he'd have too much trouble helping her learn one of the newer, hotter games. The only question is: Which one?

What's a good group-type game for an 8yo to start learning? She loves MLP, Bella Sara, anything with fairies, fantasy, magic, etc. I'm kinda hoping that, if she spends the next year or so learning and practicing her game skills, she might be okay to join in the group play that's going on at the comic book store. FWIW, it's a nice, family-friendly store...not seedy or creepy.

farrarwilliams
01-25-2014, 08:27 AM
My kids play Pathfinder and have played D&D. A local homeschool mom who is simply awesome gm's a game for a small group of homeschool kids.

If you can do it, I say dive in with D&D and get her a group together. Or talk to the comic book store people. It would be smart for them to have an kids' entry group for something. Creating future customers and spreading the gaming gospel.

dbmamaz
01-25-2014, 12:13 PM
My husband also suggests checking out the forums on boardgamegeek website. 8 is a little young for Small World, which was the first thing I thought of, and its pretty war-like. I heard a guy talk about running games for young girls, and the girls spent more time than he expected on clothing for their characters, but he let them do what they wanted. YOu need a very patient person to DM for children.

Here's the blog from the guy Homeschool RPG (http://homeschooldnd.blogspot.com/)

murphs_mom
01-25-2014, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! Yeah, DH is the go-to person in our house for games. It's just not my bag. He's got all the patience in the universe. Not me. I'm not that into games at all, but if I have to learn so they can practice here before going public, I'll do it.

MrsJadeDragon
01-25-2014, 02:05 PM
No suggestions but I just have to bounce around and squee about how awesome it is that there are homeschoolers getting their girls into board gaming early :) I met DH during a Star Wars game he was GM'ing and we love the idea of including DD in gaming when she's older. We have a group of geek parents that play but seeing as our kids are all 5 and younger, it'll be awhile before we can do more structured play.

dragonfly
01-25-2014, 03:57 PM
What about the MLP CCG? If your comic store doesn't carry it, ask them if they can get it. Or you can order it direct from Enterplay: My Little Pony (http://www.enterplaystore.com/category.sc?categoryId=17)

Ryan
01-25-2014, 03:58 PM
I have a 9 yr old girl thats learning yugioh from her older brother and really enjoys it. It can get pricey as they become more advanced though

murphs_mom
01-26-2014, 06:27 AM
What about the MLP CCG? If your comic store doesn't carry it, ask them if they can get it. Or you can order it direct from Enterplay: My Little Pony (http://www.enterplaystore.com/category.sc?categoryId=17)

Ya know, I saw the play mat in the comic book store the other day, but I had no clue WTH it was for. And I didn't want to point it out to DD (nose was buried in the books...trying to choose which one to get w/the $5 I gave her), cause that's like inviting trouble. We may have to revisit the store and see what else they have...they may have the CCG stuff already. And, yeah, it might be-hoove (had to do it...it's 6:30am, and I've been up all night with insomniaaaa) DD to grill the store clerk about MLP groups. Now I need to go figure out what I did with those MLP cards that came with her Derpy lunchbox. Crap.

THANKS for the suggestion. I had no clue there was a game for the MLP stuff. :cool:

dbmamaz
01-26-2014, 09:32 AM
Wow, the MLP card game gets a pretty good review on board game geek. Its rated for ages 10 and up by the manufacturer. Makes me curious . . .

dragonfly
01-26-2014, 12:46 PM
The cards that came with Derpy's lunch box are from the trading card line, so they can't be used with the CCG.

Surprisingly, neither my brony son nor my brony-ish, card game fanatic dh have gotten the card game yet. But, considering the number of Magic cards we have (not to mention Yu-gi-oh!, Netrunner, Middle Earth, and a bunch of other, failed lines), I'm not sure it's a bad thing not to get into another CCG. :) I am kind of curious about it though--maybe we'll pick up a starter pack one of these days and give it a go.

dbmamaz
01-26-2014, 01:17 PM
My boys have never played and of the card games. Orion collected pokemon cards for a while, but never actually played the game per se. He never really liked games much except video games. But Raven has the patience for board games.

Avalon
01-26-2014, 08:51 PM
I don't know anything about MLP (I had to google it), but we do love board games around here. Here are a few that are popular with my son and his friends (ages 8-12):

Dominion
Settlers of Catan
Castle Panic
Ticket to Ride
Stratego (2 players only)

My husband used to play d&d and he's talking about starting that up with the kids. There's also Magic The Gathering, which is a card-collecting type of game.

murphs_mom
01-27-2014, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the Derpy info...saves me time trying to figure out where I hid the things. Chances are good that I packed them away in the attic for when she's older. :rolleyes:

murphs_mom
01-27-2014, 12:23 AM
I've shown the MLP info to DH and went over the other links/info with him. Ball's in his court. I'll leave it up to him to figure out what's most likely to hold her interest. Chances are good it will be MLP, but we'll see. He could surprise me.

Thanks for all the info!

KittyP
01-27-2014, 01:23 AM
Another option might be to make a MLP RP campaign using a base system like GURPS. DD might enjoy the prospect of getting to make her own game that way. We used to make up our own RPs growing up and they were a blast.