PDA

View Full Version : What are we?

Spirit0662
08-10-2010, 08:29 PM
I have a 12 year-old who learns at home through a virtual academy online. She receives all of her studies through them via the internet. I do subsidize her learning for things like foreign language, cooking, health, etc. - but they provide the basics. I don't feel like we fall into the traditional homeschooling family - so, is their a title for us out there?

Topsy
08-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Personally, I would call you a cyberschooler (http://hubpages.com/hub/How-Cyberschooling-Can-Make-Homeschooling-Possible-For-Everyone), but I don't know if you like that term or not... Welcome to the site!! Look forward to finding out more about you and your family!

Shoe
08-11-2010, 12:42 AM
I have a 12 year-old who learns at home through a virtual academy online. She receives all of her studies through them via the internet. I do subsidize her learning for things like foreign language, cooking, health, etc. - but they provide the basics. I don't feel like we fall into the traditional homeschooling family - so, is their a title for us out there?

Why label yourself? You're the parent of a 12 year old, who is trying to find the best path for her education and development. To me, that's enough.

Marmalade
08-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Why label yourself? You're the parent of a 12 year old, who is trying to find the best path for her education and development. To me, that's enough.

Well said.

wild_destiny
08-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Great point, Shoe! And, Spirit, welcome to the group!

InstinctiveMom
08-16-2010, 04:03 AM
Hi Spirit! Welcome to the site :)
I agree with Shoe - why limit yourself with labels? Beside, just because that's what ya'll do today doesn't mean that that's what you'll always do.
~h

AshleysMum
08-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Nope, we don't need no stinkin labels! LOL. Indeed, why label yourself? Ours is so mixmatched we can't come up with a label if you handed us the label maker.

Suzakin
09-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Hey Spirit!

I agree with everyone - don't label yourself. However, I have also found it easier to tell people we use an 'alternative ed' approach. Part homeschool, part online, part community college, part public school, etc. When I would tell people he is homeschooled I would get all kinds of questions because I am a single mom who works full time OUTSIDE the home. The questions were more directed about how than what or why. When I tell people we use an alternative approach and not just limit it to 'home' schooling, they seem to understand better...then I get more relavant questions.

laundrycrisis
09-06-2010, 08:29 AM
You are home educators who are choosing to make use of a virtual academy for the core subjects ;)