PDA

View Full Version : Hackschooling! Watch the video, read the thread and give us your feedback!

Aandwsmom
01-21-2014, 04:37 PM
So this video came across my desk recently!
I sat down for 11 minutes and watched it when I got a chance!
1st, I have to say for a tween or teen...this kid can talk!
Not 100% secular(it points out religious or spiritual at a point but just touches on that for less than 10 seconds).
Hackschooling! New term and I think it fits HOW many of us homeschool already!
Here is the video, grab a cup of coffee and take 10 minutes to watch it:
Hackschooling makes me happy! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h11u3vtcpaY#t=1)

Ok, now that you have watched it....what do you think?
I love the term, I wish public schools would put the happy back in their schools. I think I try to do most of this in our homeschool, wish I could add more. I think not just KIDS and homeschool parents should go with this philosophy but it should apply to anyone.

Feedback?!

murphs_mom
01-21-2014, 05:11 PM
OMG. This is what we've been doing (for the most part), and there just wasn't a name for it. Hackschooling. I can get behind that. There's t-shirt #6.

Thanks for the link! Well worth the 11min.

ejsmom
01-21-2014, 05:41 PM
That was great! I think because this child went to PS (until age 9, I think he said), he has a better appreciation for how his days are spent now vs. sitting in PS. I want my kid to watch it. He has never spent time in PS, and thinks when I ask him to learn any math I am torturing him with some sort of cruel and unusual punishment.

Aandwsmom
01-21-2014, 10:25 PM
See, both my boys went to PS. Oldest until a few weeks into 6th grade. Youngest thru most of 5th. So both of them appreciate homeschool SO much more I think because they know what the alternative is. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt and it sucked!LOL
Not saying sending kids to PS is what we all should do!LOL
I just thought this kid had it together and not only was a GREAT speaker for his age but LOVE LOVE LOVE the whole HACKSCHOOLING idea! Makes me want to spread the word myself and get in PS face and get them to FIX the issues before it is too late! Though IMHO, it is already too late....
Love HOMESCHOOLING or HACKSCHOOLING whichever version you want to call it!

rebjc
01-22-2014, 08:16 AM
Loved the message.

I do worry a bit when prodigies become a symbol of homeschooling. While I am sure a lot of who he is is attributed to hs'ing that kind of poise and speaking ability and creativity is just not found in a lot of kids hs'ing or not. Geniuses are geniuses regardless of how they school and I am sure hs'ing could better meet a lot of their needs. But hs'ing will not make your kid a genius.

jsaffold
01-22-2014, 08:40 AM
I watched this video awhile back, as everyone under the sun I know, that is "into" me homeschooling has sent it to me (lol)
I loved it.. We do a hackschooling "ish" type of learing.(DIY.org has been a great inspiration and vehicle for this)
I also had my daughter watch it. That is where I saw a BIG impact. She was glued to the screen, and had a huge "I can do list" afterward. Seeing a kid her age range, doing what he was doing, (dd just started skiing and is obsessed with it/ and she came out of PS at about the same age he did) reallly caught her attention. Hearing these things coming out of the mouth of a peer had a great empowering impact on her, and she HEARD him. she watches TED talks a lot... this one stuck with her.
(note to self, find more 'talks' done by kids')

ejsmom
01-22-2014, 11:38 PM
Ok, so I showed my kid the video and he just LIT UP. He was all "I LOVE this kid! He thinks like me! I wish I could friends with him, he is awesome! This guy is SO right! Hey, we kind of homeschool like that, more so every year."

It was so validating for my son to see that. Thanks for sharing it.

Kell
01-23-2014, 06:14 PM
How funny to see this posted. I watched months ago and looked it back up earlier today to show my 8yo. Then, as I saw a link to this thread on my Facebook wall, I was sitting and watching a TED talk by David LaPlante on the conventional education model.

We have found our way toward "hackschooling" over the past four years. It's so good to see it being embraced by others. Makes me less nervous of the direction we are taking.

Starkspack
01-30-2014, 06:16 AM
Is it just me, or are the TED Talks on YouTube like a vortex? I watched this video, and now there are at least 12 videos (helpfully suggested to the right of the screen by YouTube) I'm interested to watch. By my calculation, that should take me several hours, and then who knows how many rabbit trails will follow.... :88_:

jsaffold
01-30-2014, 09:18 AM
Is it just me, or are the TED Talks on YouTube like a vortex? I watched this video, and now there are at least 12 videos (helpfully suggested to the right of the screen by YouTube) I'm interested to watch. By my calculation, that should take me several hours, and then who knows how many rabbit trails will follow.... :88_:

YES!! it it the same way on the TEDtalk app on the iPad!..I skim thru the newest at first...then there are suggested talks.....2 hours later!!!!!! ugh.. It is usually at night when I'm in bed..trying to fall asleep...{note to self stick to "words with friends"at night ..that zonks me right out..:p

Only
02-28-2014, 08:46 AM
I watched the video a couple of months ago so maybe I forgot some of the gist, but isn't this just a new term for interest-led, project-based learning? Part of what has drawn me to homeschooling is the idea that my child can learn things in real life applications such as learning fractions while baking, botany by helping her grandfather tend to his orchids and plant a diverse garden, etc. Also, we can utilize her learning style vs a one size fits all style that's needed for larger classrooms. What makes hackschooling a new term?

I do think this child has amazing public speaking skills and seems well educated. You never want one person being thought of as the token homeschooler, but as most people that I know think homeschoolers are anti-social and weird, I think it's nice to see an example that's A) not like that negative stereotype and B) one that's gotten a lot of positive publicity.

CreateMagik
05-09-2014, 01:03 PM
What a great inspiration for all ages.

It reminds me of the education system in Germany and how they mix education and apprenticeship through their school years.

panama10
05-09-2014, 08:03 PM
This was great and this kid truly amazing. Such good PR for homeschoolers.