PDA

View Full Version : Favorite authors/titles from this school session

StellaLuna
01-19-2014, 08:17 PM
Just some of our favorites from the past months:

Ungifted by Gordan Korman, so many of Korman's books are very, very funny.

Code talker by Joseph Bruchac, most of Bruchac's work highlight Native American culture

Tracker by Gary Paulsen, all MN boys read the Hatchet series and I have yet to meet a boy who did not enjoy them.

The entire Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams, --so witty!

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin, this is an old Newbery Award winner that still holds up today.

farrarwilliams
01-19-2014, 08:27 PM
Ooh, yes, I'm looking forward to being able to read Hitchhiker's with the kids. That will be fun. Maybe we'll read Code Talker next month when we get to WWII...

My kids are a bit younger, but these that we've read and enjoyed this school year are middle school appropriate...

Listening for Lions by Gloria Whelan - the daughter of English missionaries in Africa is orphaned during the 1919 Flu Pandemic and then becomes a pawn in a fight over an old man's inheritance

The Calder Game by Blue Balliett - third in a series of art mysteries - this one focuses on the art of Alexander Calder and the street artist Banksy - lots of interesting musing on art, connections, philosophy, etc. at a kid level

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Call by Mildred Taylor - African American family in the south during the Great Depression - a classic - the kids are less into it than the other two, which they really loved, but I still love it!

Hoot by Carl Hiassen - a new kid must make friends and save an owl, environmental message, relatively light and contemporary

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate - definitely on the easy end for middle school (more like 3rd-4th grade level) but so good, it's worth reading, with great discussion possibilities - the narrator is a captive gorilla in a mall - based on a true story

Epiphany
01-19-2014, 10:54 PM
We just listened to the audio version of Hoot on a trip over the holidays and my six year old loved it.

StellaLuna
01-20-2014, 03:01 PM
We also loved the One and Only Ivan, too. We did Hoot and the Calder Game but my son was lukewarm to them. Anything by Mildred Taylor is always well-written and food for thought. We just finished Jefferson's Sons by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley so we will check out Listening for Lions. Thanks!