PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Alaska :)

Jen Stahl
08-10-2010, 06:07 AM
Ok... so to clear the air I don't live in an igloo! LOL, you'd be surprised how many people ask me that. So I'm new here and 2 years into home schooling my daughter who is in third grade. We started school last week for a few reasons: 1. I'm taking December off and going somewhere warm!! 2. I like the year round schedule than the traditional school year. I've never blogged or done forums before so this is new to me and hope I can keep up!

Sarbare0704
08-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Welcome to the group! I hope you find this group to be as fun and informational as a lot of us do!

Shoe
08-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Welcome to the site, Jen Stahl. Be sure to check out the "Groups" page, too-there are others from Alaska on this forum. I look forward to hearing more of your experiences.

Cheers.

Topsy
08-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Great to have you here, Jen! If you hang out with us for long, you will find that we are a pretty fun group!! I'm also thinking you might be the perfect person to write an article for our homeschoolers..."Common Misconceptions About Living in Alaska"...:)

StartingOver
08-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Jen, I lived in Alaska and homeschooled for years with my older children. I used to tell people I lived in an igloo. I also told them that we had a moose on a wheel that ran our electricity, and a caribou that worked our water pump by walking back and forth. hehe My mother was amazed when she came to visit and realized that I had a house, with indoor plumbing and heat. I guess I told my tales very well.

I have lived in Nome, Palmer, Kenai, Anchorage, Juneau, and Homer. I hope to make a visit up there in 2012 or before. My babies have never seen snow. ;-) I must prefer the south.

Welcome to the group !!! I hope you enjoy it here as much as I have.

wild_destiny
08-10-2010, 12:57 PM
Welcome Jen, and what a disappointment that you do not live in an igloo. Maybe you know someone who does? Perhaps all your neighbors live in igloos and you just have not noticed yet? Just kidding! Anyway, welcome Jen!! Jana, from Alaska to Texas--that is a switch! Your stories are too funny--a moose that is powering your electricity indeed! Oh well, people will have their notions. When I grew up in Oklahoma, we had visitors from California who were surprised that we drove cars. They thought we would all be riding horses all the time.

SunshineKris
08-10-2010, 01:07 PM
But Santa's your neighbor, right? ;) My friends are in the process of the drive across the US on their way to AK. He just retired from the Air Force and they are calling North Pole home. (They'd been stationed there before and loved it.) Welcome to the group!

StartingOver
08-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Jana, from Alaska to Texas--that is a switch! Your stories are too funny--a moose that is powering your electricity indeed!

My mom lived here in Texas from the time I was 3 till she passed in 2007. My father has lived in Anchorage area since I was 3. I was bounced back and forth a lot. I continued to bounce as an adult. When mom was ill I came home, as soon as she was better, I went back. I love Alaska and would return in a minute now that mom is gone, if I could get my husband to go. I always tell him, since he is 10 years older than I am, someday I will just drag his wheel chair up behind the Yukon and move back LOL.

But Santa's your neighbor, right? ;) My friends are in the process of the drive across the US on their way to AK. He just retired from the Air Force and they are calling North Pole home.

North Pole, Alaska, right next to Fairbanks........ love it !! Most people don't believe that there is an actual north pole. hehe.

pandahoneybee
08-18-2010, 08:42 AM
Ok... so to clear the air I don't live in an igloo! LOL, you'd be surprised how many people ask me that. So I'm new here and 2 years into home schooling my daughter who is in third grade. We started school last week for a few reasons: 1. I'm taking December off and going somewhere warm!! 2. I like the year round schedule than the traditional school year. I've never blogged or done forums before so this is new to me and hope I can keep up!
LOL you know that is what I am going to be telling my youngest who wants to move there to live in all that SNOW!! Not me had my fill of it in MO IL and OR!! hehe
We also do the year round schedule mostly taking off for holidays and vacations or when I am going to KILL everyone;) jk (maybe)
This forum is most definitely addictive! I find myself on here when i need some advice or a break while the boys are doing work on their own!
Welcome to the group and STICK WITH US you'll be glad you did!

Riceball_Mommy
08-18-2010, 10:46 AM
I just watched the Mythbusters episode on Alaska. I'm not a huge fan of snow but I don't think I'd mind visiting once. We've kind of fallen into a year round schedule here and so far I really like it. Anyway welcome to the board : )

Bellanina
08-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Welcome to the group! I live in Saskatchewan. Dave (camaro on here) and I are starting our second year of homeschooling. We'll have two boys taking Kindergarten and our oldest boy is starting Grade 3.

We pulled our boys from public school for a few reasons, one being bullying that the school would not officially recognize; and two, we are a farming family and always on the run at some point during the day. I work shift work off-farm and we can't always be home for bus pickup & dropoff. There are other reasons for homeschooling as well, but those two are the biggies.

During the fall season while Dave is busy doing custom hauling for local farmers, the boys have spent their time in the semi sleeper/bunk doing their work or watching some history videos (they LOVE war history, just like Dave).

We live on a small grain/cattle farm and the boys get a LOT of learning in the great outdoors. We have a mixed beef cattle herd (they know how the beef gets into the freezer), a couple dairy cows (long story, but our milk still comes in a plastic jug from the store), a goat (great grass & weed control) and a good number of chickens (the boys feed them and collect the eggs). And no farm is complete without a bazillion or so cats and kittens. ;)

InstinctiveMom
08-20-2010, 01:17 AM
Welcome, Jen! I have a friend who moved here (I'm also in TX) a couple of years ago from Alaska - we're big fans of her 'eat local' tee shirt with an outline of Alaska on it ;)

We're year-round schooling as well. I hope you enjoy your time here.
Warmly,
~h