PDA

View Full Version : focus issues

SherilynO
01-12-2014, 10:59 PM
I am HSing my kindergartner this year. Next year he will attend the same classroom as his brother (multi-age classroom for gr. 1-4, project-based learning). This is my first experience HSing. I feel OK about the pace we're moving through the material, and that he's understanding the different concepts. I am frustrated beyond belief with his seeming inability to focus on particular tasks. I swear, school takes us at least twice as long as it needs to each day because he doesn't just DO it already! We've tried different times of day, different locations within the house, different amounts of him controlling what activities we do each day, etc. I think that would have been one advantage to sending him to public kindergarten; he would have learned that a class functions together because each member is responsible to complete what he/she needs to in a somewhat timely manner. Is there some way I can encourage "focus" in the remainder of the year with him? Do I need to? Will he catch onto it on his own once he enters a more traditional classroom? He also has self-esteem issues and I fear those may only be aggravated if he perceives that he's always lagging behind his classmates in completing work.

farrarwilliams
01-12-2014, 11:17 PM
Sounds like a normal kindergartener. Yes, he'll catch up. ;) Don't worry about it.

SherilynO
01-12-2014, 11:24 PM
That is all I need to hear. Thanks!