PDA

View Full Version : Dear Terrified New Homeschooler

Theresa Holland Ryder
08-09-2010, 11:35 AM
There will come a day. A bad day. The baby kept you up all night crying with a head cold. Your daughter, who could add double digit numbers yesterday, today cannot add 2 +2. She's forgotten how to read, too. Your son is staring off into space instead of doing his work. You've reminded him 15 times in the last 10 minutes to get back on it. You're ankle deep in craft paper from the failed origami projects. It's a quarter till noon, and everyone is still in their pajamas.

Don't panic. You're fine. Everything is going to be fine. The baby will take a nap and so will you. Your daughter will add and read again tomorrow. Your son won't become a juvenile delinquent. Tomorrow he'll discover that he loves salamanders and want to write a report on them, all on his own. (By the way, Mom, can we pleeeze have a salamander? I promise I'll take care of him! His name is going to be George, after Mad King George of England. . .) The mess will get cleaned up. Tomorrow will be better.

I hope that this bad day never happens to you.

There's That Parent in your homeschool group who has never had a bad day. Her three-year old is doing Calculus. Her house is spotless. She has a school clock, complete with alarm to keep everything on a perfect, precise schedule. She has never in her life had to rummage through the couch cushions to find the glue stick and paper scissors. She LOVES every MOMENT of homeschooling. She never wakes up a 3 am, wondering if her kids are going to end up illiterate and unemployable. She never wishes that Hogwarts was real, so that she could run away to it and never homeschool again.

Maybe you will be That Parent. If you're not, know that you belong to a large, if not illustrious club. There are many of us that have had bad days at the homeschool. We will not judge you. We ask that you do not judge yourself too harshly either. Bad days can be hard to get through. But you *can* get through them. There are many better days waiting to be had. We veterans of bad days will be over here with a good supply of hankies if you need us.

Shoe
08-09-2010, 11:40 AM
LOL. I love it, and it's nice to be reminded that there are ups and downs, since the ups are often the only things mentioned on forums.

Cheers.

Sarbare0704
08-09-2010, 11:41 AM
This is great! I am sure I will need to be reminded of this in a couple months!

SherryZoned
08-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Awesome!

I still want to go to Hogwart's!

Shoe
08-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Awesome!

Well there's always Hogwarts online (http://www.hswcw.com/index.php)...

SherryZoned
08-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Well there's always Hogwarts online (http://www.hswcw.com/index.php)...

LOL

I guess that will have to do.

StartingOver
08-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Awesome post Resa !!! I think we all need this reminder every now and then. Even the veterans.

There may even be bad weeks, or months. But it really does work out in the end. Come and share with us, the ups and the downs. We will encourage you all we can. This responsibility we take on, is not always easy for sure ! Being able to talk with each other sure helps !

hockeymom
08-09-2010, 12:29 PM
OMG Theresa: I'm laughing so hard! I am not having one of *those* days at all today, but oh man I will definitely re-read this one when I do! Thanks for the awesome reminder, especially about the middle of the night panic attacks! Those are pretty routine for me. This rocks! :)

mommykicksbutt
08-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Beautifully awesome, thanks for that.

wild_destiny
08-09-2010, 08:27 PM
That was WAY too funny and WAY too true!! (But here's my secret admission: When I encounter that second mom, the one who never has a bad day, always has her hair fixed nicely, and whose bodily secretions probably smell like exotic roses, I have the (admittedly mean) thought that I hope she trips or her car runs out of gas or maybe her kids will grow up to be axe murderers. One can only hope! ...Does this make me a terrible person? Well, I can live with that! :) ) Just kidding, of course. I don't wish ill will on anyone (not that I will admit online at least LOL).

InstinctiveMom
08-09-2010, 09:17 PM
That was WAY too funny and WAY too true!! (But here's my secret admission: When I encounter that second mom, the one who never has a bad day, always has her hair fixed nicely, and whose bodily secretions probably smell like exotic roses, I have the (admittedly mean) thought that I hope she trips or her car runs out of gas or maybe her kids will grow up to be axe murderers. One can only hope! ...Does this make me a terrible person? Well, I can live with that! :) ) Just kidding, of course. I don't wish ill will on anyone (not that I will admit online at least LOL).

LMAO - no, I think that makes you normal. She's the freak in this scenario ;)

Great post, Theresa!

Kylie
08-10-2010, 01:42 AM
Oh that was just fabulous!

I needed that today.

I am finally starting to loosen up on 'no tv during the week' here when I have days like that. It is far better my kids are absorbed in a good movie than have mum screaming at them all afternoon!!!

Marmalade
08-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Beautiful!

jettyspagetti
08-10-2010, 05:12 PM
I love it. I think I'll print it out and stick in the nightstand for reference on those nights I'm plauged by insomnia and having doubts about everything. My husband will probaby like that better than being awakened with a "but do you think I'm doing an ok job of it, for real?" at 1am. :)

JEJordan9
08-16-2010, 08:07 PM
LOL I love it!! Thanks for sharing this!!

garett
08-29-2010, 02:04 PM
Her three-year old is doing Calculus.

Classic ! LOL

I read "The Well Trained Mind" in July, shortly after we made the decision to home-school this year. In one of the intro chapters they shared the story of Susan Wise, who co-authored the book, and I had that impression. Paraphrasing: "At 5 Susan was reciting the Latin declensions ... "

We can hope! :)

Anyway we're freaking out right now and I really enjoyed your post, Theresa. Thanks!

StartingOver
08-29-2010, 03:00 PM

LMAO !!!! I have the same wishes, but no real harm.

Wilma
08-29-2010, 11:43 PM
Awesome!

What house? My kids think I would be a Hufflepuff, but I prefer to think of myself as a Ravenclaw.