PDA

View Full Version : Math-U-See or RightStart Math?

Melissa1327
08-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Seriously...I've never had this much trouble deciding on anything in my life before!!! :) Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

Teri
08-09-2010, 10:23 AM
We used Right Start for a while.
It uses lots of manipulatives and an abacus.
The lessons are very quick.

All that said, you can't remotely say, "go do your math." :p It is very labor intensive on the parents part. You MUST be involved in every step of it

We have since moved onto Teaching Textbooks and love it.

MamaB2C
08-09-2010, 03:16 PM
I chose Math U See for our son, we are finishing Primer and are starting Alpha soon. We are very pleased with it, but I can't compare it to other programs.

Have you ordered or watched the free Math U See demo CD? Watching that is what convinced me.

Runamuk
08-09-2010, 11:56 PM
We use Math U See and I'm very happy with it. It's a mastery program, which is just what my son and daughter needed. I love that it introduces the concepts in small increments instead of throwing a concept out, hoping they pick up on it, then moving on. We spent the last year working on fractions (Epsilon) and my 10yo has them solidly.

Melissa1327
08-10-2010, 12:14 AM
Thanks so much for the info!!!

kohlby
08-15-2010, 09:30 PM
We use Math-U-See and love it. My advanced son finished Alpha, Beta, and Delta last year in first grade. He's now more than half of the way through Gamma. I'm a former math teacher and like the explanations 99% of the time. (The method of teaching long division is the only place I've had to drop the way it was taught and teach it the way I learned).

Linda Loy
08-15-2010, 11:12 PM
My son was bored with Math-u-See. I have Alpha and Beta teacher manual & DVD to sell. I switched to Singapore Math, which is more advanced and my son loved it. My daughter who has less math ability is doing well with Singapore also. It really helps them understand math. I resisted Singapore Math for 3 years. I ignored the raves because I was sold on Math-U-See. It is a little tricky to teach until you realize how they utilize the bar method for word problems. It is heavy in word problems which my son loves. I really think the way Singapore presents the the info is superior.

Linda