PDA

View Full Version : Recently written short stories

inmom
01-08-2014, 02:46 PM
I've searched the old threads on short stories which list many of the classics. However, my dd will want to read more "modern" short stories. Does anyone know of either writers and/or anthologies that were written, let's say, within the last 10 years or so--that are also appropriate for a high schooler in terms of content?

TIA!

Epiphany
01-08-2014, 03:07 PM
I've always found this to be a pretty good collection. First introduced to them freshman year in college. Back in the nineties. LOL.
The Best American Short Stories 2013: Elizabeth Strout, Heidi Pitlor: 9780547554839: Amazon.com: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Best-American-Short-Stories-2013/dp/0547554834/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y)

farrarwilliams
01-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Jumpha Lahiri's short stories would mostly be appropriate and are both compelling enough to be a quick read but also meaty enough for discussion. I've probably misspelled her name though. Hmm...

Don't skip the folks in the middle though - I think there's a good bit in between "classics" and very recent. I like The Best American Short Stories of the Century as a nice well-rounded anthology.