PDA

View Full Version : The Eagle of the Ninth

iris0110
01-06-2014, 04:18 PM
This is actually a book I just read. I'm not normally a fan of children's literature (unless it is written by Neil Gaiman or Charles De Lint) but I picked this one up as I enjoyed the movie "The Eagle" and it is one of my favorite points in history. The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff is part of The Roman Britain Trilogy. Scholastic has it listed at roughly 7th grade level and I will probably be forcing my oldest to read it next year as part of his history work. I felt like it did a good job with the feelings of the men, for their families, their gods, their counties ect. I might have been more interested than the average 10-11 year old because as I said it is my favorite part of history but I will be reading the other two books in the series before forcing them on my boys. Dh and I are still arguing whether the movie is safe for them (it is not quite the same, far more violence).

Stella M
07-23-2014, 01:59 AM
The movie is awful, imo.

The book makes my all-time fave RA list.

farrarwilliams
07-23-2014, 09:41 AM
Sutcliff is an awesome writer. :)

ScienceGeek
07-23-2014, 10:11 PM
I just bought the Bravewriter Boomerang for that book through the homeschool buyers coop. Thought that sounded like a book my teen would like.