PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard of/ used these? Einstein in a box

jsaffold
01-02-2014, 05:34 PM
I came across these on Pintrest. My kids would both love something like this..I know I saw another type of box of the month deal too, just can not recall the name.
Anyone out there familar at all with these??
http://www.academicsinabox.com/Articles.asp?ID=251

dbmamaz
01-02-2014, 05:40 PM
no but it looks cool and i suddenly feel like i've totally not done enough to challenge Raven along these lines . . . sigh. but he does say he hates building things and usually does not like labs . . . lol

Starkspack
01-03-2014, 01:05 AM
I second Cara's comment - have never heard of it, but looks cool! As for the other monthly subscription - were you thinking of Magic School Bus or Young Scientists Club? I've looked at those before but have not used any of them.

popsicle1010
01-03-2014, 02:44 AM
ohmygosh my daughter would love that!

murphs_mom
01-03-2014, 03:25 AM
I don't have any experience with the Einstein boxes (which look great, btw), but a friend's mom gifted the kids with these: Green Kid Crafts - Fun Creativity and Science Kits Delivered Monthly! (http://www.greenkidcrafts.com/). They loved most of the activities sent because the mom didn't have to worry about coming up with art/craft ideas. I found it ironic because she was a fine artist. :p There were a couple of clunkers in a 2yr period...they just did them anyway and moved on. The mom said she'd have probably never signed up for it herself, but it was a great value as a gift. It also kept her mom from buying a bunch of war-themed toys that she really didn't want her boys to have.

Starkspack
01-03-2014, 08:19 AM
Those look great, too, Carolyn! In the middle of the night (insomnia), after seeing the Einstein reference above, I Googled and found a blog that listed a couple dozen companies that do these monthly boxes. some looked really neat. I had no idea! We've done Little Passports, and that is cool (but not science).

jsaffold
01-03-2014, 10:05 AM
I don't have any experience with the Einstein boxes (which look great, btw), but a friend's mom gifted the kids with these: Green Kid Crafts - Fun Creativity and Science Kits Delivered Monthly! (http://www.greenkidcrafts.com/).

That's the one I saw before!..reconized that box instantly. I definatly don't need anything arts and crafty. DD really likes the science kit idea. man who wouldn't. monthly fun mail!

[QUOTE=Starkspack;148106]Those look great, too, Carolyn! In the middle of the night (insomnia), after seeing the Einstein reference above, I Googled and found a blog that listed a couple dozen companies that do these monthly boxes. some looked really neat. I had no idea! We've done Little Passports, and that is cool (but not science).

I'm off to the googlesphere to find that blog:_lol:

KittyP
01-04-2014, 04:04 AM
Oooh! It looks a little (way) too old for kiddo, but some day. I love these monthly kits, right now we're doing Herb Fairies but I'm thinking next year I'll buy more if we can afford them. They definitely add some spice to the month.

Starkspack
01-04-2014, 07:27 AM
Sorry, Julie, meant to go find it again myself and post it. Not sure how to post links but here I've pasted the address of the blog:

Kids Monthly Subscription Boxes | Ramblings of a Suburban Mom (http://www.ramblingsofasuburbanmom.com/2012/12/kids-monthly-subscription-boxes/)

The post is from 12/2012, but it appears she has gone back in to update those companies not working anymore. Lots of neat things there!

ETA: Ok, I see that my pasted link turned into a link - cool! Technology defies me every time...

farrarwilliams
01-04-2014, 05:24 PM
They do look really cool... but I've been totally burned by so many science kits that I haven't bought any in a long time. They're usually kind of dopey. So I'm always skeptical now...

Starkspack
01-04-2014, 06:45 PM
Farrar, what ones have you used and dismissed? I have to keep resisting the urge to get some.

We are just starting BFSU. I bought the book a year ago and shelved it - looked like too much prep. But I'm so discouraged when I look at other science offerings, and the cost of monthly kits is not small. So I decided to commit to BFSU and give it a good try. So far, so good. DD is ready for more advanced ideas, so we are moving more quickly, and I will check out his next book that is for grade 3+.

jsaffold
01-04-2014, 08:27 PM
Sorry, Julie, meant to go find it again myself and post it. Not sure how to post links but here I've pasted the address of the blog:

Kids Monthly Subscription Boxes | Ramblings of a Suburban Mom (http://www.ramblingsofasuburbanmom.com/2012/12/kids-monthly-subscription-boxes/)

The post is from 12/2012, but it appears she has gone back in to update those companies not working anymore. Lots of neat things there!

ETA: Ok, I see that my pasted link turned into a link - cool! Technology defies me every time...

That's ok! That is the blog I found!!;)

farrarwilliams
01-04-2014, 10:17 PM
Farrar, what ones have you used and dismissed? I have to keep resisting the urge to get some.

When the kids were little - in K and 1st - we really liked some of the Magic Schoolbus kits. Others are more meh, but in general, the Young Scientists ones I've seen are okay. But we've also tried some of the Thames and Kosmos ones and some of the Science Explorer kits and some of the Toysmith ones (most of these have been gifts) and none of them were worth the box they came in. But I haven't bought any in at least a year or two now because it would always seem like a total waste.

Starkspack
01-12-2014, 07:12 AM
When the kids were little - in K and 1st - we really liked some of the Magic Schoolbus kits. Others are more meh, but in general, the Young Scientists ones I've seen are okay. But we've also tried some of the Thames and Kosmos ones and some of the Science Explorer kits and some of the Toysmith ones (most of these have been gifts) and none of them were worth the box they came in. But I haven't bought any in at least a year or two now because it would always seem like a total waste.

Are the Magic Schoolbus and Young Scientist Club ones by the same manufacturer? Seemed like it appeared that way when I last researched them. Glad to know about the Thames ones - I had considered a physics one they have. So far we are doing BFSU and doing our own projects from that, and it seems to thrill DD just fine. :) We just did this Nat Geo box that was a pyramid dig (not science, it was for our ancients study, but related to this thread)- the concept was cool, but honestly, the booklet included several projects that we could do that required a whole ton of things not in the box. What was in the box was just a pyramid she had to open and then dig around in to find some artifacts. She loved that part, but it took maybe 20 mins total (including setting up the space with newspaper). I found it to be rather disappointing. When the box said it had "10 experiments" I expected to find that many we could do in the box. Naive, perhaps.

farrarwilliams
01-12-2014, 11:40 AM
Yeah, the Magic School Bus kits and the Young Explorer kits are by the same makers. I did find them to be good when we were just starting out and everything you needed was in them except for things you absolutely had in your house like water or soap or a cup or glass or things like that. And while some of the experiments were really quick, they were mostly pretty good. The one about molecules and the one about germs are especially good. But I've since realized that except for a few things like Snap Circuits and kits that are for something very specific - say, dissecting an owl pellet - that I don't think kits are the way to go for science in general. They really are toys most of the time. But I also see that they're good for families who aren't sure what to do. I don't know... mixed feelings...

Amuzon1
01-29-2014, 03:29 PM
Hi ladies,

I ran across this website & thread today when I was using our snow day to research HS stuff and thought I'd share my 2 cents worth. I got the inaugural box from Einstein in a Box and have been quite impressed with it. My kids are 9, 12 & 13. (2b1g). There have been many science curriculums and activities that I've passed over because of one reason or another. Usually because I thought they were a waste of time, resources and money. I'm sure you all can relate! However, mine have thoroughly enjoyed doing the activities in the first box. I even took a video of them during the 2nd activity so I could show my friends. DSCN6959 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpQKUnN4Paw) . We took over 30 minutes working on this activity using different variables to test the ideas the kids came up with. They really enjoyed it and are looking forward to doing the next activity this week. You can do the activities closer together, but we've chosen to spread them out over a month to give the kids' brains time to absorb and percolate the information that is covered. The lab book that comes with it is extremely thorough. That's the part I like best. I don't need to know what to say or talk about. I'm not a scientist, I'm an artist! Another great thing about this product that I don't know if you're aware of is the access to additional information on their website for subscribers. My 3 loved the videos! Very entertaining yet educational. (think SchoolHouseRock!) The info stuck! Anyway, just thought I'd share my own experience with it since I've actually used it. We're looking forward to our next box which is all about electricity!

murphs_mom
01-30-2014, 10:34 PM
Thanks for posting the opinion on Einstein-in-a-box, Amuzon1. I've been flirting with doing it...the STEM expo folks have it listed all over their pages and it made me curious. :)

jsaffold
01-30-2014, 10:56 PM
Hi ladies,

I ran across this website & thread today when I was using our snow day to research HS stuff and thought I'd share my 2 cents worth. I got the inaugural box from Einstein in a Box and have been quite impressed with it. My kids are 9, 12 & 13. (2b1g). There have been many science curriculums and activities that I've passed over because of one reason or another. Usually because I thought they were a waste of time, resources and money. I'm sure you all can relate! However, mine have thoroughly enjoyed doing the activities in the first box. I even took a video of them during the 2nd activity so I could show my friends. DSCN6959 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpQKUnN4Paw) . We took over 30 minutes working on this activity using different variables to test the ideas the kids came up with. They really enjoyed it and are looking forward to doing the next activity this week. You can do the activities closer together, but we've chosen to spread them out over a month to give the kids' brains time to absorb and percolate the information that is covered. The lab book that comes with it is extremely thorough. That's the part I like best. I don't need to know what to say or talk about. I'm not a scientist, I'm an artist! Another great thing about this product that I don't know if you're aware of is the access to additional information on their website for subscribers. My 3 loved the videos! Very entertaining yet educational. (think SchoolHouseRock!) The info stuck! Anyway, just thought I'd share my own experience with it since I've actually used it. We're looking forward to our next box which is all about electricity!

Awesome!! I just ordered our first box about a week ago! I'm looking forward to its arrival as much as dd :-)

Deli76
01-30-2014, 11:40 PM
This is what I am looking for! Thank you for posting and thank you all for the review!

sells_kate
01-31-2014, 07:27 AM
Thanks for posting this! Looks good for the future!

Epiphany
01-31-2014, 10:53 AM
Anyone know the ages for this. I cannot find any info on the website, and the contact us link is not working for me.

Amuzon1
01-31-2014, 01:19 PM
The ages are for 8+. My kids are 9, 12, 13 (soon to be 10, 12, 14

Per their FB page https://www.facebook.com/EinsteinInABox they're going to be Destination Imagination's Global Finals. In case any of you have kids doing DI.

jsaffold
01-31-2014, 08:42 PM
Anyone know the ages for this. I cannot find any info on the website, and the contact us link is not working for me.
It is for ages 8+ and re: contacting them, seems a little frustrating..its by email... I couldn't find any customer service #, which I found odd.

I have ordered a box, and apparently I will be notified via email when my box ships...Is that what they did when you ordered yours Amuzon1?

sells_kate
01-31-2014, 09:45 PM
I did not get this since my kids aren't old enough, but I did get the monthly subscription to sprouts. Can't wait!

Amuzon1
02-01-2014, 01:06 PM
Yes, I was notified by email when my items shipped.

Amuzon1
02-01-2014, 03:20 PM
FYI: Just saw this on FB for those interested. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=707732605925877&set=a.605775936121545.1073741830.603775246321614&type=1&theater

jsaffold
02-02-2014, 09:56 AM
FYI: Just saw this on FB for those interested. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=707732605925877&set=a.605775936121545.1073741830.603775246321614&type=1&theater
I ordered mine the other day...ugh...story of my life.
thank you for the post tho

jsaffold
02-02-2014, 09:57 AM
Yes, I was notified by email when my items shipped.
Thank you.

jsaffold
04-03-2014, 01:04 PM
We have been moving thru our first 'Einstein in a box" and when I say we mean my daughter...LOL..she is loving it....it sparks great converstions/discusions.

I just noticed today a little card at the bottom of the box that had been tucked back in by DD ( it had no purpose for her..lol) anyhoo

for anyone who is interested..it was a coupon code

enter code: STEMFRIEND at check out and receive 25% your first month (box)

www.einsteininbox.com (http://www.einsteininbox.com)

davispigeon
02-19-2015, 03:40 PM
I was interested in the Einstein In A Box but apparently it's been re-branded:
Groovy Lab in a Box (http://www.groovylabinabox.com/)
Anyone received the new boxes?

CrazyMom
02-19-2015, 05:06 PM
Amazon.com: science experiments for kids: Toys & Games (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dtoys-and-games&field-keywords=science+experiments+for+kids&rh=n%3A165793011%2Ck%3Ascience+experiments+for+kid s)

Less expensive....more science, less hype....and you can customize to your child's interest.

davispigeon
02-19-2015, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the tip!