PDA

View Full Version : Just spent several hours with a friend learning Homeschool Tracker

Wilma
08-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Yes, it has a lot of layers. Yes it has a steep learning curve. But it is very, very cool. I have gone from being intimidated and frustrated to intimidated and inspired! It has a lot of great features and teh forum is great. I got questions answered almost immediatately.

InstinctiveMom
08-07-2010, 11:59 PM
Cool :) I use the Basic version and I love it. We may upgrade when the kids are older, but for now, Basic is enough. It's a great program though!
~h

Sarbare0704
08-08-2010, 10:08 AM
I need to go take a look at this! I keep reading about it and just that has me intimidated enough not to even go check it out LOL

StartingOver
08-08-2010, 12:14 PM
The forum is awesome, every time I email Katie or the email list someone is right there within minutes to answer my questions. The support is amazing !!!!!!! It is a one time cost, and upgrades for as long as the software is around. I love it !! LOVE IT !!

callie
08-08-2010, 01:00 PM
I downloaded the Basic Edition last year, but I didn't use it. This year I have been reading the User Manual and am actually using it. The Basic Edition seems to be working for us right now, but I may upgrade later. Especially if Hunter decides to homeschool through high school. (Fingers crossed - He is leaning towards going back to public school. :eek: ) I think if more people read the manual they would really like the program, it is definitely hard to just jump in and start using it.

Wilma
08-08-2010, 02:51 PM
I needed to work through it with someone. I don't think the manual is all that great. But the program, once you get past the learning curve, is a thing of beauty! I would do things and then gasp and say 'Wow!"

mommykicksbutt
08-09-2010, 10:26 AM
We downloaded the pro version after hemming and hawing about it (sonny is doing high school level work now) and the program will not work on my computer! I had to transfer it my laptop to get it to work (my desktop uses 64-bit Window XP Pro and the program is not compatible with 64-bit - now they tell me). So it is kind of a pain to have both my desktop and laptop on my work surface doing school, I don't have much of a work surface with the laptop occupying my space. However, the program is awesome so that is why the laptop in on my school desk instead of on my studio desk.

callie
08-13-2010, 08:05 AM
I just wanted to add that you can download a 30-day trial for $5, if you are wanting to try it. I had to go ahead and download the trial because we decided to start school early. I needed to move all the lessons backwards and you can't do that in the basic edition.

Marmalade
08-13-2010, 11:29 AM
I used it for half of the year last year but I think I'll be using it a lot more this year. I'm not sure what the pro version has to offer that I don't already have, but I guess that will become important in highschool?

Shoe
08-20-2010, 02:43 PM
I treated myself to the Pro version yesterday as a birthday present, but I think it will take me a lot longer than several hours to figure out how to use it. I see that the user manual is over 300 pages...I just don't know where to start!

pandahoneybee
08-20-2010, 04:04 PM
ok I just bought the plus edition and I have to say that I haven't gotten too far with it;( it is alot different than the basic edition. But since reading this I will have to get my butt in gear, I want to use it this year to get in the flow of things for Alex's hs years so I was have a transcript! Ok you have inspired me not to give up.

callie
08-20-2010, 10:41 PM
I treated myself to the Pro version yesterday as a birthday present, but I think it will take me a lot longer than several hours to figure out how to use it. I see that the user manual is over 300 pages...I just don't know where to start!

I started with the Maintenance tab - school info and years/terms. After that I just jumped right into the Student tab, with his Assignments. Best advice for the user manual - scan the table of contents until you see something you might use. There is a lot of stuff that I haven't bothered with yet. I love being able to customize the reports I print, I guess that is the OCD kicking in. :)

Shoe
08-21-2010, 09:15 AM
I started with the Maintenance tab - school info and years/terms. After that I just jumped right into the Student tab, with his Assignments. Best advice for the user manual - scan the table of contents until you see something you might use. There is a lot of stuff that I haven't bothered with yet. I love being able to customize the reports I print, I guess that is the OCD kicking in. :)
Thank you. That sounds like good advice. I bought it this year so that hopefully I'll be fairly fluent with it next year, when my son starts high school.

mommykicksbutt
08-22-2010, 07:38 AM
Watch to tutorial videos via their website, I found these helpful. I installed the program on my laptop, had it on my desk as I watched the videos via my desk top 'puter.

BPier12
08-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Does anyone know if you start with the Basic version, which I have, and then upgrade to the Plus edition, does it automatically transfer all of the work you have in the Basic to the Plus edition?

Wilma
08-24-2010, 04:32 PM
Yes, it does.

BPier12
08-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Yes, it does.

Thanks, Ann! :)