PDA

View Full Version : Now I'm Reading: Playful Pals

Mum
12-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Farrar suggested these (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/now-im-reading-playful-pals-level-1-nora-gaydos/1109127804?ean=9781584762034&x=27142612) Nora Gaydos readers as a nice alternative to the Bob Books. Boy, was she right! The illustrations are cute and the stories are a little on the funny side.

DS4 is enjoying them.

I highly recommend them for Emergent Readers.

Go, get you some. :cool:

farrarwilliams
12-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Ooh, glad they were a hit. I didn't discover them until post-use of the BOB books. I was very sorry I hadn't found them before.

Epiphany
12-26-2013, 03:54 PM
We are working our way through these as well. Lil man seems to find them much more interesting thatn BOB books

oh_world!
02-26-2014, 05:18 PM
Ok, gonna try these too. Sadly, the library doesn't carry them but they look pretty cute. Thanks for the rec.

JenWrites
02-28-2014, 10:03 AM
Ok, gonna try these too. Sadly, the library doesn't carry them but they look pretty cute. Thanks for the rec.

You should request them! Our library has an online form you can fill out to request books. There is a limit to how many you can request within a certain time period, but I have requested several and they always buy them. AND they put them on hold for me automatically and notify me when they come in. We used "What If?" for part of our science this year and I've just re-checked it out over and over. No one else has requested it, so I don't feel bad about it. Generally if we're going to use a book that much I'll just buy it, but as long as no one else is asking to check it out...

oh_world!
02-28-2014, 04:24 PM
not a bad idea, thanks :)

oh_world!
03-03-2014, 11:35 AM
just got the first set of these. they are so cute and little :)

Mum
03-26-2014, 10:18 AM
I made some little puzzle thingies for DS to use with the books.
I used the new sight words listed in the back along with the rhyming word themes from each one.
They look like this. 23472348

JenWrites
03-26-2014, 11:21 AM
Cute cards! At what age did y'all start using these types of books? I plan to use these when my little dude seems like he wants to actively begin learning to read, while continuing to just read a lot of quality books until then. But I'm curious as to what age the youngest level is geared toward. We're in no hurry to teach him to read at all, and in fact plan to hold off unless he seems ready, but I would love more details from someone who has used and enjoyed these books.

Mum
03-26-2014, 12:31 PM
Cute cards! At what age did y'all start using these types of books? I plan to use these when my little dude seems like he wants to actively begin learning to read, while continuing to just read a lot of quality books until then. But I'm curious as to what age the youngest level is geared toward. We're in no hurry to teach him to read at all, and in fact plan to hold off unless he seems ready, but I would love more details from someone who has used and enjoyed these books.

That's exactly the age I started - when he began to seem interested. For DS it was at 4 and a half. We only look at them every now and again. No routine to it yet.

sells_kate
03-26-2014, 02:37 PM
Thanks for recommending these!