PDA

View Full Version : First Time-About to start with my kindergartner.

momintx
08-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Hi to all! I am so excited to have found the site as I was feeling very alone in this endeavor. I don't know any homeschooling families personally and have family members who are quite unsupportive. I've told my husband that one of the issues I have with homeschooling is being afraid I'll be lumped into a certain catagory, specifically Conservative Christian fundamentalists. I was starting to think their might not be any secular homeschoolers out there. I hope that this website provides some assurance for me in what I'm doing as I am truly doing what my heart tells me.
My main questions beginning Kindergarten are in regards to Curriculum. Did most of yall start with a box curriculum or just different things of the internet or out of books/workbooks. There are know rules as to what I have to get, per my state, but I am wondering what works best for alot of you. I'm sure as time goes on I will figure out what works best for me. I'd love ideas and particular brands, books, etc that are a good starting off point.

Thanks

StartingOver
08-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Welcome !!! I ma glad you found us. I hope you enjoy the site as much as I have !

I am in Texas too, near Corpus Christi. I have an early Kindergartener. Honestly if you are just starting out, what I would focus on are the 3 R's. Until you get a chance to learn more about your child and he or she learns. Read, read, read aloud to your child every chance you get. Pick a reading program, I prefer a phonics approach. Pick a math, or just go over the basics. Counting to 10- 20-50-100, counting by 2's, 3's, 5's, 10's. And start a handwriting program.

You can make K as involved as you wish, or as light and focused as you wish. Adding more in as you go along. A strong foundation is very important though. There are tons of things available on the internet, you can homeschool for nearly free with these, or with workbooks found at your local stores. Or you can purchase a complete curriculum. It really depends on your preferences and what you want to spend.

What we are using for K...
Sonlight Core K ( I know this is a christian company, but we use it secularly. I purchase the core and the science. I love homeschooling with tons of literature ! I am a serious book collector )
Ordinary Parents Guide To Teaching Reading ( This is from The Well Trained Mind )
First Language Lessons
Math Mammoth
McGuffey Eclectic Readers ( Free off the internet )
Saxon Math ( my son is hands on and loves the manipulatives )
Handwriting worksheets printed from the internet.
SOTW ( This is from The Well Trained Mind, we are listening to the CD's as an over view to history. We will do these through 4th grade )
Hooked on Phonics books ( Just because we have them )

We love Leap Frog DVD's Letter Factory, Story Book, Math Circus, and Talking Words. He plays at Starfall.com, Jump Start, Click N Read on occasion.

All of what I do use, will be able to be passed down to my other child. So it really cuts the price in half.

Shoe
08-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Welcome to the site. I'm sure you'll find a friendly and supportive environment here. I can't help you much with curriculum for that level, as I didn't start homeschooling until my kids were in middle school. But it seems to me that Jana's advice is sound. Start with the basics, and I would think that you wouldn't need to get too fancy with materials at the kindergarten level.

Anyway, welcome, and I'm sure you'll find lots of information here to answer all your questions.

Cheers.

schwartzkari
08-08-2010, 11:36 PM
Jana has great advice for you! :)
Welcome to the group!

Sarbare0704
08-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Welcome to the group! We are also starting kindergarten this year so not much advice but I wanted to welcome you! I agree Jana has great advice!

Topsy
08-09-2010, 11:41 AM
So glad to have you here at SHS! I know that the beginning can be such a combination of excitement and anxiety...here's hoping that the former wins out!! :) As far as curriculum goes, I definitely recommend doing a learning styles inventory of your child. Knowing how your child learns can go a LONG way toward keeping you from wasting money on things that aren't going to work. Some kinds of curriculum just work better than others with specific kiddos. Our feature article this week (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/313-Advice-for-First-Year-Homeschoolers) offers some really helpful advice about curriculum too. Best of luck with your homeschooling adventure!!

SherryZoned
08-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Go with Jana.. I am planning on getting Sonlight Core K and have math mammoth already. For the most part he loves dot to dots and word jumbles.. We are very relaxed about K..

MamaB2C
08-09-2010, 02:56 PM
I am very relaxed with my K. I am using the following

Phonics/reading: The Reading Lesson, Bob Books, Starfall
Math: Math U See (starting Alpha this year)
Science: Building Foundations for Scientific Understanding

Everything else is interest led, informal and/or opportunistic

Kylie
08-10-2010, 02:09 AM
Welcome to the site.

I do think K is so open to what you would like to do. Some parents choose quite a rigorous K program that works well for them, others choose a play based program learning all of the important foundations mostly through play and games. I found it hard to know what my stand on this one was, I have tried to go somewhere down the middle.

For us we use:

Of Primary Importance Sight Words Program (http://www.opi.com.au/)
Explode The Code Phonics Program (http://www.explodethecode.com/)
Starfall (http://www.starfall.com/)
I am about to look closely at Lesson Pathways (http://www.lessonpathways.com/) as my girl loves the computer
Singapore Math Preschool Books - love these
Preschool Basics Books - you know like thinking skills etc (preschool in Oz is equivalent to K in the US)
Five In A Row - but we don't use this all of the time - although it is quite good
Artistic Pursuits - again we do more freestlye art/crafts
We also have a large range of hands on manipulatives from Montessori, we love these
I am currently considering Handwriting Without Tears as she is struggling a little with handwriting
Lots of picture books/read alouds
We do our own units, currently covering Picasso and Big Bang Theory/Evolution (but for her this is just mainly through read alouds and exposure) and I am getting ready to start an Animal Kingdom and World geography Unit, soon.

I have an 8 year old so my 6 year old participates in all of that, but I don't expect too much out of her from the units.

So this probably looks like a lot but her school work is over in about an hour and then we do our unit stuff in the afternoons when the toddler is napping.