PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Phonics

Sarbare0704
08-06-2010, 05:27 PM
I finally got my rainbow resource catalog!!! Whoo hoo! Now my brain is spinning with all sorts of questions!
I was wondering if you guys have a good resource for ME to learn the phonics rules LOL! Lucy is very impatiently awaiting the start of school and had already taken learning to read into her own hands LOL! When I am trying to explain why certain letters make certain sounds sometimes I keep saying for her to be patient and we will learn about it when we start school. It just occurred to me I don't know the answers and starting school will not make them appear LOL! If it is something for both of us that is fine but I am trying to go light on this years curriculum I feel like I can find most of it online as far as work for her to do. I just feel like i should know this to help her learn it! Thanks for any help!

StartingOver
08-06-2010, 05:35 PM
There are tons of programs out there. Free and not. Starfall, progressive phonics are free. There is Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading, which I adore. Happy Phonics, Teach Your Child to Read in 100 easy lessons and millions of others. There is Explode the Code workbooks, and others. There is Saxon Phonics which goes so far as to teach diacritical marks ( the marks for short vowel, long vowel, etc, that were taught in the past. ), There is Hooked on Phonics which some love. I could go on forever. Good luck figuring that one out.

I love OPGTR because it is very thorough and scripted which many parents need ( at least in the beginning ), it can be taught in just a few minutes a day and has games to reinforce. But it is just my preference !

I don't know what you are using for her for curriculum, phonics may be included ?

Sarbare0704
08-06-2010, 05:39 PM
I didnt have buy a curriculum I just planned on using starfall and readers. I was just hoping I would be able to explain the rules to her.. I just dont know them LOL I will look into the OPGTR! Sounds like what I am looking for maybe.

MamaB2C
08-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Well, the rules all have exceptions, but there are 42 phonemes (http://www.antimoon.com/how/pronunc-soundsipa.htm) in English (individual sounds) and they can be made usually by a variety of letters and or combinations of letters. Maybe reviewing them will help get you started on how best to teach them.

We are still early in phonics, but I started with the most commonly used consonant sounds for each letter and short vowel sounds, and then added combinations- th, sh, ee, and ch- then created my own sight word list which I go over maybe 4-5 words a month (was, as, has, the, is, you, etc.). We have worked up to silent e words and combination like ea and st

I am using The Reading Lesson, Bob Books, Starfall, and LeapFrog "Factory" videos.

StartingOver
08-06-2010, 06:01 PM
I didnt have buy a curriculum I just planned on using starfall and readers. I was just hoping I would be able to explain the rules to her.. I just dont know them LOL I will look into the OPGTR! Sounds like what I am looking for maybe.

I bought mine and laminated it !! I plan to use it for mine, and some of the grand babies. I know my daughter has already told me that I AM teaching her children to read. LOL

InstinctiveMom
08-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Mes-English.com has a bunch of phonics resources, too. We printed out posters and flash cards and reading cards and had them laminated.

Kylie
08-06-2010, 08:34 PM
I have OPGTTR it is thorough but I personally didn't care for it that much and we didn't end up using it, but it will give you what you need. Are you wanting a phonics based learn to read program or do YOU just want to know the phonics rules? I also have the book Reading Reflex, that would help you also, check if your library has them possibly.

I have been pouring over reviews on All About Spelling (it teaches through phonics) that is something you could possibly look at and I believe they are working on a reading program now.

Not sure if this has helped any. :)

StartingOver
08-06-2010, 08:45 PM
I have OPGTTR it is thorough but I personally didn't care for it that much and we didn't end up using it, but it will give you what you need. Are you wanting a phonics based learn to read program or do YOU just want to know the phonics rules? I also have the book Reading Reflex, that would help you also, check if your library has them possibly.

I have been pouring over reviews on All About Spelling (it teaches through phonics) that is something you could possibly look at and I believe they are working on a reading program now.

I understand that a lot of people don't care for the book itself. But my son never sees the book. I put the lessons up on a white board, and then we read books to reinforce the lesson. It is very easy to teach, and scripted.

I will be moving to AAS, as soon as we are finished with OPGTR.

schwartzkari
08-06-2010, 11:48 PM
I really like Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. The beginning of the book is very descriptive and I learned a few things I did not know about phonics and learning to read. We are currently on lesson 88 and my daughter is reading on her own. The lessons highlight in red exactly what the parent is suppose to say AND do. I love that direct instruction. We use StarFall to supplement and have fun. I bought all their flashcards, workbooks and little reading books, my daughter loves them.

Kylie
08-07-2010, 02:39 AM
I understand that a lot of people don't care for the book itself. But my son never sees the book. I put the lessons up on a white board, and then we read books to reinforce the lesson. It is very easy to teach, and scripted.

I will be moving to AAS, as soon as we are finished with OPGTR.

Absolutely I agree it does make it very easy to teach, in the end I went for an australian full language arts program that included readers, some grammar, comprehension etc etc

pandahoneybee
08-07-2010, 07:28 AM

We are a all about spelling user, we like it better than all the others we have tried.

Kylie
08-08-2010, 07:48 AM
We are a all about spelling user, we like it better than all the others we have tried.

Thanks, I keep reading that everywhere!

Sarbare0704
08-08-2010, 09:09 AM
I know i had AAS bookmarked on here because it looked good! Thanks for all the ideas ladies ill go check out the others too!

Sarbare0704
08-08-2010, 09:15 AM
hmm I thikn I am liking the looks of the 100 easy lessons one.. and it is cheaper! LOL

jgentry
08-10-2010, 12:02 AM
I love "The Writing Road to Reading" by Romalda Spalding. It was created by a teacher and a Harvard Neuroscientist working together to get a good set of phonograms that would minimize exceptions. I love it. It taught me at 37 (although I have a PhD in neuroscience myself I have found my reading to dramatically improve after working with this program), I use it with my three kids as well as with adult learners through the Adult Literacy Council. I initially got the book from our library, and finally bought it myself (around $20). I wrote out cards myself and used clear contact paper to peudo-laminate them. That has been my only financial investment for the past 4 years.

Good luck! I can remember completely freaking when my oldest was starting to want to learn to read. My Mom had gotten her some phonics cards. I wasn't really into them because I had been reading John Holt's book and thought it sounded cool just to pick it up without the mess of all the phonograms with all their exceptions. So my 4 year-old hands me a card that has "OW" on one side and asks me what sound it makes. I said "ow" and then she flipped it over and saw the word was snow! I freaked out and started looking into programs. Very stressful time, but I lucked into The Spalding Method and it has worked wonders for us!

QueenBee
08-10-2010, 01:16 PM
We have used and been successful with Phonics Pathways (combined of course with reading at the appropriate level). It's quick and painless. We've always done about one page per day.