PDA

View Full Version : Apparently, I'm not enough of a teacher

belacqua
08-06-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm tremendously frustrated right now.

I purchased what I thought was a great science program (digital book, online labs, super groovy). I noticed that I didn't have a solutions manual to the problems, but that the company did sell one, so I emailed to ask about how to get one.

I've been told that the company, which markets pretty aggressively to homeschoolers, won't sell solutions guides to us. They sell them only to "instructors at schools where they can verify employment."

I understand that they want to guard against students scamming solutions, but for pity's sake, MIT Press took a copy of my declaration of intent when I wanted instructor manuals. I'm feeling marginalized, dang it! :mad:

StartingOver
08-06-2010, 02:14 PM
I'm tremendously frustrated right now.

I purchased what I thought was a great science program (digital book, online labs, super groovy). I noticed that I didn't have a solutions manual to the problems, but that the company did sell one, so I emailed to ask about how to get one.

I've been told that the company, which markets pretty aggressively to homeschoolers, won't sell solutions guides to us. They sell them only to "instructors at schools where they can verify employment."

I understand that they want to guard against students scamming solutions, but for pity's sake, MIT Press took a copy of my declaration of intent when I wanted instructor manuals. I'm feeling marginalized, dang it! :mad:

GRRRRRR I am sorry you are going through this. Some companies are harder to work with than others.

I would love to know what company - curriculum it is, so I or others don't make the same mistake.

schwartzkari
08-06-2010, 04:38 PM
So...they will sell you the curriculum but not the solution guide?
That makes me angry for you.

MamaB2C
08-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Definitely don't want to send business their way, so yes, naming them would be beneficial for us. You might want to mention to them that if they plan to market to homeschoolers they need to consider them educators.

belacqua
08-06-2010, 05:22 PM
I've been holding off naming the company as I was hoping they'd respond to my latest e-mail and dazzle me with their reasonableness and then I could tell you all how terrific they turned out to be. As that hasn't happened, I'll tell you that it's Kinetic Books.

Melissa541
08-06-2010, 06:35 PM
That's like getting the cupcake without the icing. Not cool. :/

InstinctiveMom
08-06-2010, 06:41 PM
That stinks :(

Kylie
08-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Very unfair.

mommykicksbutt
08-08-2010, 03:28 PM
That totally stinks!

wild_destiny
08-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Thanks for letting us know, so we can avoid the same pitfall. Sorry you got stuck, though.

mjzzyzoff
08-09-2010, 10:42 AM
In one of your communications with them perhaps you should mention that you will be posting their position on homeschool forums so others don't make the same mistake. Sometimes the potential for losing sales will motivate a company... Just a thought. I would be very angry and probably demand a refund and have my lawyer husband give them a call just to shake them up a bit.

Shoe
08-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Has anyone tried to get around this kind of problem by sending a purchase order, and creating a checking account with the homeschool name on the checks with which to pay bills to publishers with this kind of restriction?

I found another company (I'd give the name, but I don't remember-this was awhile ago, and I just moved on to the next resources) that required all purchases be accompanied by a purchase order so that they knew they were sending to a "real" school.

SherryZoned
08-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Can you send their stuff back and get a refund?

Will definitely not be using them.

belacqua
08-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Unhelpful Update:

My husband called Kinetic Books to find out if this was, in fact, a strict policy. The person he spoke to was unyielding and said they had to protect themselves from people posting the solutions on the Internet. She said that other publishers have the same policy and didn't have much of a response when my husband gave several examples of other publishers that accept homeschooling documents.

So...for now, that's that. Pity. I really wanted to like this company.

mjzzyzoff
08-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Ha. What's to stop a teacher, or student who competed the course, from posting the solutions online?